Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feeling this way ????

Options
  • 24-08-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

I’ve changed my attitude to supporting Spurs. It’s been coming for a while now to be honest

I’ve decided to tone in down a bit, I have finally worked out what it is. A total irrational obsession that gives back very little in return for so much of my time and money that I have invested in it over the years. I’m sick of being a mug to those cnuts

Listen to this latest example:
    I went to the club shop yesterday morning, picked out a few bits and bobs and made my way over to the checkout. The amount due came to 51.98, I rummaged though my pockets and came up with 51.96.
    ‘Can you let me off 2p” I asked the staff member ?? She looked at me like I had 3 heads and said, “Sorry, we’re not allowed to do that” so in dismay I handed her another 20 pound note and she proceeded to give me back 19.98 in change. Then as I walked away I got a bolt of inspiration, ST club shop discounts !!! Surely I was entitled to some sort of discount. Alas when I enquired I was told that discounts only apply on “family match days” and that the next one of those was Wigan.

To be fair I had been questioning my feelings for THFC a lot lately and this episode has given me the push I needed to make a decision to cut back on the number of games I go to and concentrate on other more productive and positive things with my spare time.

Apart from Wembley in Feb and the odd big win in 20, the only real lasting important things that visiting Tottenham games in the past 20 years has given me is some great friendships and camaraderie that cannot be bought. All the rest is bull**** and is designed to milk you for every penny.

I’m taking a backseat for the time-being. I’m not really concerned about who we sign or sell anymore, I don’t feel gutted anymore when we loose, I don’t get a hyper high anymore when we win. Maybe it’s a temporary lull in my feelings toward them or maybe it’s something more long-term. Time will tell I suppose.

I’ll always love Tottenham Hotspur, but for the time being I’m gonna do a few other thing with my spare time. There’s gotta be more enjoyable/rewardable ways to spend your time and money on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hey Shane. It's pretty bad stuff alright, that day was a funny one, when I found out that I had a ticket I was filled with excitement. First time at the lane for a good few years. Meeting you guys in the pub was great too, a bunch of strangers had helped me out and were actually great to share a pint with, ye were all gents. I'd gone in knowing noone but it was great that we could all get on sharing one main interest. A love of Tottenham.
    When I got to my seat my heart was racing, thousands of people cheering on Spurs, all different ages and from different places and walks of life. The price of the ticket was fine, about a day's wages for me, though the transport, a beer inside and a programme probably kicked it over, and I couldn't wait to see the squad with my own eyes after following all our transfer dealings throughout the summer. I thought I was going to see a sexy new Spurs deal with an opponent that we should beat convincingly. Then it became apparent that this wouldn't be the case, the lads were just bashing hopeful balls about and everytime we got near them, it was clear that we couldn't get behind their defence and then at every break they made I was convinced we were going to concede.

Spurs have no excuse at this stage, they fill stadiums and their supporters are loyal enough to pay some of the highest prices to see them. The club makes a healthy profit and in a game where money is the name of the game, we seem to have forgotten that football actually plays a part. I left that game feeling utterly robbed, I'm certainly not convinced to make more journeys any time soon. Call me a fair weather fan or something but since I've supported Tottenham we haven't really had all that much fair weather. I can't say that I've put as much into my support as some of you lads, but is it so much to expect the club to actually deliver after promising us so much, season after season, that we're convinced that giving them our hard earnt is worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Quite the depression there lads, I'm hoping it's just a phase for ye.

I recognise all too well that spurs can (prob is) one of the most disappointing teams to follow. It just seems that every year we are pumped up with such high expectations, that it comes as such a let down when they are not realised.

It could be worse though and you could support Man U or Chelsea, winning so much just takes the pleasure out of it. People may have taken the mickey out of spurs fans last season for really celebrating the carling cup, (its only the league cup etc). Well **** them, we waited a very long time for a cup and for us it was possibly more special than the premiership was to unoited fans.

I suppose what I'm trying to say chin up lads, you should have read the small print before you signed the contract:rolleyes: Anyway wait a couple of weeks now till we're banging in the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Ahh Jaysus. Come on now lads. That was so depressing (especially having to break a 20 for 2p, what a c**t) your causing me to doubt.

Is following a football team a rip-off. Definatly! Unfortunatly, love is blind. For the last 15 years clubs main aim went from being able to keep the club ticking over and competitive to turning a profit at the end of the financial year. To that I say hold on to your old Spurs jerseys (my pony one still gets the odd run out) pick your matches and as Spurs supporters, we should know to keep your expectations low.

I too hope this is just a phase. I've went through 2 of these "phases" already. But if we won every week it would take the fun out of being a Spurs supporter. That league cup may as well have been the Champs League final to me. Without the bad you don't appreciate the good. There is no good without evil and don't give them all your money.

COYS (I hope???)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I went over Saturday - train broke down in Seven Sisters so did not go to Coach.
    Went in at 215 - first thing up Berba is not in 18. No other striker on bench (unless you count GDS).
    And then it went downhill fast!!
    Midfield is lightweight - this is the Premiership - you get closed down every ball. However we close down nobody so they score twice!

Changes we need/observations-
    BAE is no full back; Zakora if he is to play should be in front of CB's; why is Gunter good enough to play for Wales but too young for us; Modric needs to be a step quicker (seemed to cop this in final 20 minutes); Jenas is no captain; Bent's only strength is pace what's with the high balls all day.

Season ticket or not i'm not going again until Blackburn - bad enought spending €1000 without adding to it watching this ****e and frustrating myself.

So looks like i share your views Shane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Following Spurs has pretty much consumed me for the last thee seasons, so much so that I can't think what I'd do with my time without it! I've fallen out of favour with one or two mates who've got the hump that I don't have any spare time other than football, and I know it's contributed to the break up of a good relationship.

I've spent a fortune in the same time, and at times my health has suffered as a result of trying to do so much (Saturday's game was squeezed in between night duties on Friday and Saturday night...:eek:)

I've argued with club officials about their ticketing policies, their disregard for fan loyalty when it came time to divvy out tickets for Euro games and much else. I've taken a hiding from Spanish riot police for nothing, and some might say I've put myself in harm's way on a number of occasions (Rotterdam quite recently) from rival supporters.

And I've done all of that not for the football, but for the experiences I've had in general and the friends I've made along the way. Don't think I can walk away just yet, but I hope it's only a short break for you Shane. We'll miss you in the mean time...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Well Dublin Spur, the answer to your question in the title, is ye....eh and no.

I most definitely share some of the feeelings that you mentioned, mainly all of the negative ones. I too have become dejected and depressed with the goings on at THFC both on and off the pitch.

Im 27, so no doubt you have probably seen more of Spurs than me over the years. I went to my 1st game when I was approx 12 or 13 I think, and since then, my every day life has been Spurs. My missus whom I married this summer has asked me on numerous occasions to support someone else, mainly due to my humours every weekend when things go wrong with at THFC. But I never will.

I get over 4 or 5 times a season, less last year due to the financial aspect of getting married, and like yourself im sure, I spend a packet when I go over each time, but I dont care.

Have faith mate. I agree, it looks crap at the minute, some of the signings we have made and not made are mind boggling, but im glad Im a yid than a manc or a gooner or a fan of them jokers from the bridge.

The ups and downs are heart-breaking I know, but dont throw the towel in just yet.........and anyway, you said you were gonna do other things with your spare time, what else is there to do, follow the dubs and have your heart broken even more ;)

YID ARMY

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Shane mate I felt the same on and off ever since I started supporting Spurs however it's like a drug that I'll never be able to kick.

They drive me demented sometimes but when we get it right the rush is like the biggest thing in life.

I just wished we'd get it right a bit more. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

we could all be forest fans, or leeds fans too!? whether we like it or not we're spurs fans, and will be going forward. if we were GLORY fans we'd all be chelsea or united fans. i cant imagine a leyton orient fan, or a torquay fan posting online that he is annoyed with how his club isnt winning trophies etc. we're are footie fans, we chose spurs for a variety of reasons, if supporting a club that delivered trophies and wins all the time, jump on the bandwagon of another club like so many million others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ditpoker wrote: »
    we could all be forest fans, or leeds fans too!? whether we like it or not we're spurs fans, and will be going forward. if we were GLORY fans we'd all be chelsea or united fans. i cant imagine a leyton orient fan, or a torquay fan posting online that he is annoyed with how his club isnt winning trophies etc. we're are footie fans, we chose spurs for a variety of reasons, if supporting a club that delivered trophies and wins all the time, jump on the bandwagon of another club like so many million others.

I suspect you may be missing the point Shane is making by a very long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I know how you are feeling Shane.I sat on my seat in the shelf on saturday afternoon after the final whistle had gone and took a few minutes to contemplate what the fcuk is it all for,the cost the travel the early mornings late nights arriving home,I too felt like taking a break and toning down my support but as the days have followed i am again thinking of my next trip to the lane and all the craic involved with the trip.Three years ago i thought we had cracked it,what a season but things have gone backwards league wise since.I am now hoping beyond hope that Juande pulls a couple of aces from up his sleeve before midnight next monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I suspect you may be missing the point Shane is making by a very long way.

You're right about missing the point Ronan, however I understand where dit is coming from. Would we see this type of (op) post in the forum say if we had won the first two games convincingly. Probably not.

It's fcuking hard enough being a spurs fan and especially living in ireland where every other one you meet follows either Utd or Pool and they spin you some sh1t about how they follow them cos theres a strong irish connection in those cities or because of Munich 58 or that they worked on the Dublin to Liverpool ferry. They never say "Ahh well it's because they are the most successful club and I'm a glory hunter".

We're all p1ssed off at the moment and Shane and a few others have even more to be p1ssed at, as a fan who attends virtually every home game and spends a considerable amount of money and time in the process. If we're unlucky and lose, fair enough. If the coach and players give it their all and we lose, again fair enough. But when a schoolboy could tell ya what positions we need to strengthen and what players we should buy or not sell then you start to question if it's all worth it.

I had to give up my ST this year because of moving to the West. It was a lot easier and cheaper to fly in and out from Dublin. Now I've a membership, so will be attending less games but I'll still get in a good 10 or so. Money was an object for me because of these reasons but I have no qualms in saying that all paying fans should expect value for money. At this moment in time we aint gettin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Two games lost and a big depression sets in all over the place, this time last year it was just as bad first six games with no win but we ended up winning our first cup in nine years and it was great,don't give up yet.I'm just trying to cheer myself up as well ;)

here here tippspur, good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

I often feel the same way myself, especially after last Saturday's result and the home loss to Birmingham last season. Hoping for some big improvements in the coming weeks but I'm not even slightly optimistic about facing Chelsea on Sunday.:o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I would never have been too expectant of taking the points away from the bridge so I'm going to mostly reserve my judgement results wise there, however I do hope to see a more commited and consistent performance.

You never know though, would be exactly what we need to get the season up and running nicely.

We did beat them in the Carling Cup last year but I suppose we did have home advantage;)

Advertisement