Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Refurbishment

Options
  • 24-08-2008 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Following a recent story in the Wicklow People, Does anyone know if Tesco Greystones is closing in October for two years?
    I really hope not as Superquinn Charlesland have not improved their game and the thought of going to Bray without an orange tan is quite frightening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Two years ?? Doubt they'd do anything apart from continue business for the meantime given the current economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i heard it was for 18 months to 2 years to put in an underground carpark, as is the one in bray, i know i saw a thread around here somewhere about it. not bothered looking for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Funny the way just about everything can be qualified at the moment by the statement ''in this economic climate''. Tescos are doing very nicely Thank you '' in this economic climate''. The underground car park seems plausable okay and then a hypermarket and fuel station overground. Would need a lenghty closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

don't think they are closing completely - they're going to build a temporary store in the existing carpark and then demolish the current building. The planned new store (still needs planning permission) will be huge, with an underground carpark, but no petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Would need a lenghty closure.

They cannot afford a lengthy closure at the moment.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    they're going to build a temporary store in the existing carpark and then demolish the current building. The planned new store (still needs planning permission) will be huge, with an underground carpark, but no petrol station.

That sounds like alot to take on board.

Irish Times Saturday, August 16, 2008
    Downturn compels Dunnes to shelve three new stores Drogheda, Co Louth; Saggart, Co Dublin, and Newtownmountkennedy in Wicklow.

I'd be very surprised if Tescos went ahead with anything big right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

ian_m wrote: »

They have five years to start building before their permission runs out (when they get their permission that is). Then they can apply for an extension of time after five years.

It does look like they will be Phasing the works and it includes a temporary store... You can view them all here

Astro!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As an aside, I read today that Tesco have had their application for planning permission to do much the same thing in Bray turned down. Pity really, the place is a bit of a kip and could do with rebuilding.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

ian_m wrote: »
    They cannot afford a lengthy closure at the moment.

That sounds like alot to take on board.

Irish Times Saturday, August 16, 2008
    Downturn compels Dunnes to shelve three new stores Drogheda, Co Louth; Saggart, Co Dublin, and Newtownmountkennedy in Wicklow.

Thats rubbish, Dunnes were turned down for a very large depot and are now sticking two fingers at the planners and councillors by pulling out of these stores, the one in Newtown even had the cash registers in place.

Page 7 todays' Wicklow Times dismisses report on headline of last weeks paper and says Tesco to remain open. Another brilliant piece of investigative journalism!. Should have printed ''Tesco's to close due to present economic climate. People stop eating''. Seems to be an appetite for that sort of news lately!. Anyway can put the orange tango away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Hammie I actually saw the paper in question and the retraction was about TESCO and was due to a quote made in the previous weeks story by somebody else. The story was about DUNNES.

Bit of 'investigative reading' wouldn't go astray there.

• Advertisement

Suggest you read it again. Story was about Dunnes but wrote '' with Tescos Greystones due to close for two years in October'' Hence retraction P7 this week. Get your facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Hammie, Peared, take your flamewar to PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 denvey

i recently quit tesco greystones and can tell you it is not closing.apparently they will be building a second floor on top of the store but the store itself will not close while under construction

denvey wrote: »
    i recently quit tesco greystones and can tell you it is not closing.apparently they will be building a second floor on top of the store but the store itself will not close while under construction
    Yes. It's definitely not closing. however the story was so misleading that Tesco felt they had to follow up on the retraction(by the WT) by placing a notice in the window. That is what I meant by poor ''investigative journalism'' on some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

looks like the store will have to close, they're using all the land they have there for store space see attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

well they've said they won't be closing.

Just reading through the various objections to this I see our friends Zapi are one of the objectors. Also the newsagents in the existing centre, various local residents and most of the family of Mrs Chambers, my former music teacher, who lives next door.

I can't blame anyone nearby for objecting - its an enormous building they're proposing, and will generate a lot of traffic.

Advertisement