Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Babel -Vs- Nani

• 24-08-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

Boggles wrote: »
    Babel looks to be an above average player who yet has to fulfil any meaningful potential, he has never impressed me in any of the games I have seem him to near the extent that Ronaldo did when he was only 17. I think you need to keep it real mate, get someone else to compare Babel to, it is not fair on the lad.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    wat about Nani so?
    Like I said before, Nani has the attributes to become a top top player, this season is very big him.

Young player of the year minimum IMO, a different level again to Babel.

A fair comparison would probably be Richardson and Babel.
    I'm basing my opinion on what I have actually seen, Richardson like Babel has/had potential but never realised at the top top level.Babel from what I have seen of him has yet to impress and if I were to pick between the 2 now, I would have Kieran Richardson.I don't rate Babel, I'm not alone, get over it.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Boggles, you are fecking beyond hilarious.

Comparing Babel to Richardson is laughable.

Then in nearly the same breath to say that Nani has all the attributes to be a world class player but Babel doesnt shows just how blinkered you actually are.

The other day you also said that Nani is far superior to Silva.

All these things can lead me to only one conclusion-you have no idea wat you are talking about.
    Tusky wrote: »
    Nani

Price: £17m
    07/08: 41 apperances, 4 goals
    International: 16 apperances, 2 goals

Total: 57 apperances, 6 goals

Babel

Price: £11m
    07/08: 49 apperances, 10 goals
    International: 24 apperances, 5 goals

Total: 73 apperances, 15 goals

Both the same age. I'm not saying Babel is better, I'm just pointing out that your argument is flawed. Both players have a lot of potential.

Following on from something that was touched on in the Liverpool/Middlesborough thread....wat are peoples opinions on these two players?

To me Babel has genuine pace and a good eye for goal, and although he is still rough around the edges (first touch is all over the shop sometimes), i think he has definate potential to turn into a world class player.

With Nani i think much the same-although i think the strongest part of his game by a considerable distance is his delivery from corners/free kicks, which is brillaint.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i like both players, and i think both are different.

I have always seen Babel as a forward, so I would expect a better goal return form him. I reckon Nani is more likely to get assists. He got a good number of assists for us last season which i was impressed with. I think Nani can go on to be one of the best wingers in the game (as an actual winger, not the Ronaldo-play-on-the-wing-so-sky-can-put-you-somewhere-on-their-screen position...)

Both very promising players, though i think Nani will have a better chance to impress as he will play more in his natural position than babel will, imo. Babel could of course redfine his own game and become a winger rather than forward played out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kieran Richardson!!!!! Sweet Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Both have lots of untapped potential. Babel is more of a wing forward while Nani is more of a traditional winger. Both tend to go missing in games & both have questionable decision making.

I'd rather have Babel in my team although its too hard to say for certain. In a couple more seasons one may be much better than the other, it just depends who realizes their potential.

Both have lots of untapped potential. Babel is more of a wing forward while Nani is more of a traditional winger. Both tend to go missing in games & both have questionable decision making.

I'd rather have Babel in my team although its too hard to say for certain. In a couple more seasons one may be much better than the other, it just depends who realizes their potential.

In a team with a proper centre forward, I'd go for Nani - his delivery is brilliant. Hopefully Fergie will get in a striker for Nani to ain at this season, rather than the midgets we currently have up front, generally seen in central midfield and left back positions....

Both are very, very raw. If both mature and fulfil the potential they have they could be excellent. Could be the next Ronaldo vs Reyes debate LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Babel's a forward, Nani's a winger/wide playmaker. Nani is better at creating things, Babel is better getting on the end of things. they are both rough and far from the finished article, although i would put Nani ahead in terms of development. they both have the potential to be near world class players, although i doubt either will ever fully make that final step.

If i were a Liverpool fan though, I'd much rather have Nani on my team. he's the type of player they are lacking, creative, a bit on unpredictable and much more effective from wide positions than Babel is so he'd offer more width.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I think Babel is the better player...always looks dangerous and is a much bigger goal threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I think Nani is going to be a better winger than Ronaldo. He has the pace and trickery needed to beat the full back and is a wonderful crosser of the ball. His first touch and finishing are also excellent- his goal against Arsenal in the cup last season illustrates this very well. Don't forget what he can do from outside the box too. I would have ahead of Giggs in Man Utd's team this season.

As for Babel I can't really comment on him as I haven't seen that much of him. He seems a small bit awkward on the wing.

EDIT: yeah, would appear he is naturally a striker. Can't really compare the two all that much really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just posted this in a seperate discussion in the Liverpool thread.
    Waste not want not and all.:p
    I really do think that he has all the neccesary skills to make a truely world class forward.

I've followed most of his carrer, as I'm a closet Ajax fan.
    What most people here don't understand is how much most Ajax fans rated him.
    It's very rare that an 18-19 year old has such a following, with banners in the crowd every match and such.

He needs a few years to properly learn his game, and I think he'll be world class.

For me, all the best strikers in the world have two things in common.

Firstly, they all have supreme confidence and faith in their own abilities.
    Nobody can argue that Ryan doesn't have that.

Secondly, they don't fit into a mold.
    There was nobody like Henry before him.
    No Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo (clasic), Ibrahimovic, Bergkamp, Van Basten, etc.

They play their way, and then others try and emulate.
    I know that Babel gets labled as the next Henry a lot, but I see a different player.
    One that'll be IMHO, someone special in a few years.

As for the comparrison, they are different players, but both imensly talented.
    I couldn't tell you which will end up as the better player, but I do believe that Babel won't be a wide player in 2 years.

Personaly as a Liverpool fan I'd prefer Babel, as I've followed his career for years, and jumped through the ceiling when we bought him out of nowhere!:D

But that's just an indication of my like of Babel, and not which player is better.

Could you imagine both of them on the same team in a few years though?!:eek:

Just posted this in a seperate discussion in the Liverpool thread.
    Waste not want not and all.:p

As for the comparrison, they are different players, but both imensly talented.
    I couldn't tell you which will end up as the better player, but I do believe that Babel won't be a wide player in 2 years.

Personaly as a Liverpool fan I'd prefer Babel, as I've followed his career for years, and jumped through the ceiling when we bought him out of nowhere!:D

But that's just an indication of my like of Babel, and not which player is better.

Could you imagine both of them on the same team in a few years though?!:eek:

I can understand Liverpool fans saying he's going to be a better player than Nani, but i still don't understand why you'd want Babel over him in the current team.

I mean he's a striker being played out of position, currently you don't need another striker, so he's played on the left. but he's so right footed that he can never offer a viable option out wide, he can only cut inside, which makes it easier to defend against your team on a whole. i mean with the goal scoring threat of Torres, Gerrard and Keane would you not rather a player who can spread the play better and create space for your forwards instead of another finisher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I like both players, both have loads of potential to be top class at their respective roles (ones a traditional winger, one's a wing forward and possibly future striker).

One thing's for damn sure, both are head and shoulders above Kieran Richardson.

<edit>
    Lenin, he's not a striker being played out of position. All through his career he's played exactly where he is now. Left wing forward. For the dutch and at Ajax this is where he played week in week out, and its where he is for liverpool. You say that he doesn't add proper width for crosses, but thats not what a wing forward does, its what a winger does. What a wing forward does is draw players in when he comes in between the FB and CB which leaves space for the other attackers to exploit. It confuses teams as players dont know who should be taking responsibility, and a good WF will bring in 2 with his dribbles, rather then a traditional winger bringing in 1 player to block the cross while the rest of the defenders mark their men. Yes he probably will develop into a striker, but to say that left wing forward is playing him out of position is simply wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We should get a clearer indication of both players at the end of this season, for me the Gulf in class is apparent.

Nani is a natural footballer, Babel seems to me a little forced.

I was always told you can gauge a player by his first touch, Deco today had it head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, Nani has it, Babel doesn't, he has heart, pace and strength, it will distingush him to the level of above average, but he does not have the fundamentals to be go beyond that IMO.

I can understand Liverpool fans saying he's going to be a better player than Nani, but i still don't understand why you'd want Babel over him in the current team.

I mean he's a striker being played out of position, currently you don't need another striker, so he's played on the left. but he's so right footed that he can never offer a viable option out wide, he can only cut inside, which makes it easier to defend against your team on a whole. i mean with the goal scoring threat of Torres, Gerrard and Keane would you not rather a player who can spread the play better and create space for your forwards instead of another finisher?

As I said, my preference for Babel is due to the fact that I've been a fan for three years, and that I believe he has more to offer in the long term.
    Babel is a favorite of mine from his Ajax days.

And I honestly see something very special in him.
    I think that he'll be in a lot of Pepsi adds in the future!;)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    <edit>
    Lenin, he's not a striker being played out of position. All through his career he's played exactly where he is now. Left wing forward. For the dutch and at Ajax this is where he played week in week out, and its where he is for liverpool. Yes he probably will develop into a striker, but to say that left wing forward is playing him out of position is simply wrong.

but sure plenty of people would have said the same about Henry when he was played on the wing as a youngster? and is Rooney a natural centre forward now that he has been playing there for two seasons with United?

I can't see anything about his game to suggest he is a natural wing forward. he can play the position, just like many players can play out of position (especially early in their careers to gain experience, or a better example might be Podolski for Germany) but that doesn't mean that's his natural position. Any time I watch him play I see him drift into the centre and do his best work from there. If I watch any of the compilations of him on youtube, when he receives the ball he bombs for goal. In my opinion this is only one aspect of how a wide forward should play. where's the wing play? where's the spreading of the defensive line? where are the crosses and link up play with the other forwards? there's not enough imo to definitively say he is a wing forward.

edit: only saw the extra bit now
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What a wing forward does is draw players in when he comes in between the FB and CB which leaves space for the other attackers to exploit. It confuses teams as players dont know who should be taking responsibility, and a good WF will bring in 2 with his dribbles, rather then a traditional winger bringing in 1 player to block the cross while the rest of the defenders mark their men. Yes he probably will develop into a striker, but to say that left wing forward is playing him out of position is simply wrong.

this is exactly what i'm saying he doesn't do enough of. he doesn't wait and run to draw players in, he just heads straight for the box regardless. his off the ball play is someone trying to score goals, not enough runs to create space for the rest of the front line. he's not a wing forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I don't buy this Babel is a striker malarky, maybe he'll develop into that one day, but so far in his career he is far from that. If anybody here watched him at Ajax, it was clear that he wasn't a lethal goal scorer, he was however very very quick, strong and dangerous. He played as a winger in a 4-3-3, providing width and lethal balls for a more out and out goal scorer like Huntelaar, and well as beating his man and cutting inside to provide the killer pass/ goal. It's not like Rafa is forcing the boy to play in a massively alien position, quite the opposite. And yes, he does have the potential to be world class.

but sure plenty of people would have said the same about Henry when he was played on the wing as a youngster? and is Rooney a natural centre forward now that he has been playing there for two seasons with United?.

Babel never showed the striker attributes that both Henry and Rooney possess, he will never be the sole outlets for goals, he was the man who provided danger on the flanks for Ajax.

but sure plenty of people would have said the same about Henry when he was played on the wing as a youngster? and is Rooney a natural centre forward now that he has been playing there for two seasons with United?

I can't see anything about his game to suggest he is a natural wing forward. he can play the position, just like many players can play out of position (especially early in their careers to gain experience, or a better example might be Podolski for Germany) but that doesn't mean that's his natural position. Any time I watch him play I see him drift into the centre and do his best work from there. If I watch any of the compilations of him on youtube, when he receives the ball he bombs for goal. In my opinion this is only one aspect of how a wide forward should play. where's the wing play? where's the spreading of the defensive line? where are the crosses and link up play with the other forwards? there's not enough imo to definitively say he is a wing forward.

edit: only saw the extra bit now

this is exactly what i'm saying he doesn't do enough of. he doesn't wait and run to draw players in, he just heads straight for the box regardless. his off the ball play is someone trying to score goals, not enough runs to create space for the rest of the front line. he's not a wing forward.

I know what your saying about his off the ball movements being those of a forward, but thats simply what one would expect from a wing forward in a 1 up top system. the center forward will be there, right in the center. When the ball is coming in from the other side (usually from the other wing forward, eg.kuyt), the LFW will tuck in to provide a second striker option, which is what we always see Babel doing, think his back heel goal against Besiktas. To add the width you will always see the LFB moving up to aroun dthe halway line so that side is still an option. You will always see Babel move out to his opening position of LWF when we're not in that situation. and Thats what makes him a wing forward. Its his starting position. He's a forward who begins his attack from the wing, just like it says on the tin. WF play isn't about stretching a defence, its about sucking in players and causing confusion. Off the ball he will constantly be switching between being the responsibility of the FB and CB which makes their job tougher given that Gerrard is always roaming around that area too.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I don't buy this Babel is a striker malarky, maybe he'll develop into that one day, but so far in his career he is far from that. If anybody here watched him at Ajax, it was clear that he wasn't a lethal goal scorer, he was however very very quick, strong and dangerous. He played as a winger in a 4-3-3, providing width and lethal balls for a more out and out goal scorer like Huntelaar, and well as beating his man and cutting inside to provide the killer pass/ goal. It's not like Rafa is forcing the boy to play in a massively alien position, quite the opposite. And yes, he does have the potential to be world class.

I agree with almost everythig you say.
    He's not Henry.
    I just think that what he is, is special in it's own right.
    Henry moved from the wing to a central role, and adapted.
    I think that Babel needs to find a happy middle ground.
    He'll never have the insane touch of Henry, but Henry never had the power of Babel.
    Different players.

I don't see Babel as a 30 goal a season man, but I could easily see him getting 20 upward on a very regular basis.

eZe^ wrote:
    Babel never showed the striker attributes that both Henry and Rooney possess, he will never be the sole outlets for goals, he was the man who provided danger on the flanks for Ajax.

But he also worked realy well when playing with inteligent strikers like Huntelar as you said.
    Clever little one-two's and link up play.
    Keane will be a big factor for Babel this year IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'd love to see him develop into a world class striker, I thought the lad oozed class at Ajax, and would have loved him at Barca. However, I feel with the pressure of the EPL, it seems that this will be the make or break season for the lad. I hope he steps up to the plate.

On Nani, I don't think anyone can deny his talents also, I reckon he edged it over Babel last season, but it would be absolutely idiotic to make that a reason to relegate Babel's name down with the ranks of Richardson and co. The one thing Babel has over Nani is attitude, even though both are a little naive and need to learn when to release/ run with the ball, it seems that Nani has a bit of a whinging/ angry streak to him. He could pose a couple of problems in the future ala Quaresma.

Anyway, why do these debates inevitably end up in a who's got the bigger d*ck between United and Pool supporters.. Why can't we all just enjoy the development of two great young prospects??

Anyway, why do these debated inevitably end up in a who's got the bigger d*ck between United and Pool supporters.. Why can't we all just enjoy the development of two great young prospects??

x infinity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

a Boggles Vs. Mr Alan / Man Utd. Vs. Liverpool thread.

very original. i think babel is a better finisher whereas nani can do more with the ball when he has it.

Anyway, why do these debates inevitably end up in a who's got the bigger d*ck between United and Pool supporters.. Why can't we all just enjoy the development of two great young prospects??

i'm not a United or Pool supporter. and part of my argument is that Babel isn't being developed properly because of where he's playing.

for me the primary reason he was successful in the wing forward position was because of his excellent close control and pace, coupled with the awful defending in the Dutch league. in the EPL defenders close quicker and their positional sense tends to be better. this is where i feel Babel is being found out as a wing forward, because he doesn't have the positional or tactical sense to carry out the role to the standard Liverpool need.

i also disagree with rebel about wing forwards simply being forward who start from a wide position. ultimately they have to be able to provide width in some capacity, at which Babel is ineffective imo. and on the subject of the LB being the one to provide width, this can only happen if the LFW opens up the space for him, which requires the LWF being able to take up wide positions and hold the ball there in the first place. Babel doesn't do this, he just hasn't the left sided ability to be able to preoccupy the opposition RB to allow the LB to get behind imo.

anyway, only time will tell if you're wrong or i'm right.

;)

• Advertisement

Leninbenjamin.

I gotta disagree with a few things.
    The defending in the Dutch league isn't as bad as you make out.
    It's not as physical as the premiership no doubt, but where is?
    The defending in the Portuguese league is no less suspect, so Nani is also having to adjust.

And Babel can be very effective coming in from wide areas.
    Babel is a confidence player, and as he gets a run of good performances, gets better and better.

At the moment, I believe Nani is more consistent, while Babel has the ability to be more influential.

Only time can tell who'll rise higher.

Just so as I can be the first to introduce the now obligatory youtube clips into the thread, here's my fav Babel one.
    It's a collection from his Ajax days with a few Dutch highlights.

Warning: You realy should mute it, as usual!!!:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zww3XhQ61Uc

All this talk of henry being a winger.... I'm convinved he was played as a forward through the Monaco youth teams and the Monaco side (United were interested in buying him, as a striker) and it was only Juventus who played him as a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jazzy wrote: »
    a Boggles Vs. Mr Alan / Man Utd. Vs. Liverpool thread.

very original.

So if it was up to you we would just stay in our respective superthreads and stroke each other. :rolleyes:

It is a good comparison of players, both have big season ahead of them, both are expected to step up to the mark this season, both IMO will be up there for young player of the season.

IF you have nothing to add but smart arse comments, GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Babel slightly wins it for me, although Nani will come good. I watched Uniteds review and Nani was involved in an awful lot of Uniteds goals. Great crosser of the ball and did hit some belters last year... I didnt like him at first but Im warming to him now.

Babel for now, but dont be surprised if Nani comes really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Tauren wrote: »
    All this talk of henry being a winger.... I'm convinved he was played as a forward through the Monaco youth teams and the Monaco side (United were interested in buying him, as a striker) and it was only Juventus who played him as a winger.

this is true, its why wenger bought him, as he had coached him and trezeguet as forwards when they were kids with monaco

wenger initially played him as a winger with monaco, to educate him (see walcott) but knew he would end up a striker. but it was Juve that played him out wide

It is a good comparison of players, both have big season ahead of them, both are expected to step up to the mark this season, both IMO will be up there for young player of the season.

you've changed your tune! yesterday it sounded like you thought Babel wasn't fit to lace Nani's boots and that we'd be lucky to have another kieran richardson on our hands!

I firmly disagreed with you yesterday, but firmly agree with your new stance today.

The amount of goals he scored from the left just shows that hes playing is pretty much the same position now as he was at Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Richardson is imo as good as Pennant. Although Richardson has always had the potential, just not the attitude.

Babel and Nani are very very different players. Nani is a classic winger, he gets down the edge and whips it in more often than not. He can cut in, and has a mean shot, but normally doesn't.
    Babel is a wing forward, plays on the opposite side, cuts in and shoots. That's his game.

That said, imo Nani was better than Babel last year.

League:

Nani 1600 minutes 3 goals 9 assists [one goal and 3 assists were game winners, and he destroyed Liverpool]
    Babel 1450 minutes 4 goals 3 assists [who didn't score in any game that Liverpool didn't score 3 in]

Then when you include the CL games:
    Babel played 13 (5 sub) got 5 goals [didn't score in any game that Liverpool didn't score 3 in]
    Nani played 11(4 sub) got 3 assists [2 of which were game changers]

Babel still can't offer much when he starts, that was clear from last year. The majority of his goals were at the ends of games, often when Liverpool were winning. Nani is still v. inconsistant, but he added some real important aspects to United last season, ones that made the difference.
    That set, a lot of Nani's assists came from set piece delivery which while important is different.

I'd take Nani personally, I think he's got more to his game, but Babel is gona be a good player too, although I'm not sure the system that Liverpool employ entirely works for him yet.

Both are very good talents. However what I'll never understand is that most United fans i know aren't exactly happy with Nani being our 2nd choice winger, they don't think hes good enough yet. Most Liverpool fans seem to think Babel is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

This thread is worse than the Usain Bolt one. Jesus Christ get over yourselves they're both decent footballers, now stop acting like 3 year olds and get on with it.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    However what I'll never understand is that most United fans i know aren't exactly happy with Nani being our 2nd choice winger, they don't think hes good enough yet. Most Liverpool fans seem to think Babel is good enough.

I'd take Nani as first choice winger, along with Ronnie - though that could be what you mean. Basically I would take Nani over anyone at United bar Ronnie, so as we play with two wingers, both start...

However, that is as much to do with having no real faith in Giggs or Park (Park is great when we need a hustle and bustle defensive winger). Nani can look a world beater in some games, and in others look like he has no idea what he is supposed to do on a football pitch, picking the wrong options and making the wrong runs. Though he is an immature footballer so his game will improve as he matures. I do like Nani, but there is something about him that i can't quite put my finger on, maybe its just i don't expect him to improve as much as Ronaldo did cause we have already got 'lucky' once.

hunter164 wrote: »
    This thread is worse than the Usain Bolt one. Jesus Christ get over yourselves they're both decent footballers, now stop acting like 3 year olds and get on with it.

How many people have said differently?

How many people have said differently?
    But what was the point in this thread? So you barstoolers can row over which winger from your team is better??

Sorry, this is the thread for reasonable discussions.
    You seem to be lost.

Now back on topic

The amount of goals he scored from the left just shows that hes playing is pretty much the same position now as he was at Ajax.

He is very effective from the left alright.
    The only diference is with Ajax he was playing in a straight 4-3-3.
    With Liverpool it's the 4-2-3-1.
    He's not quit as far forward.
    Not much of a difference, but slightly.

But what was the point in this thread? So you barstoolers can row over which winger from your team is better??

No - someone was having a discussion over who was better, nani or babel. they brought it to a wider audience. this thread could have become a liverpool vs united manhood swinging contest, but imo it has not. It has been a discussion of the merits of both players and how they fit into the systems of their respective clubs. Sure people have disagreed regarding how good they think either player can become, but your critique of the thread seems to be based on assumptions rather than reading the thread (the same Ruud vs Henry, Ronaldo vs Reyes (:D) assumption I held before reading the thread, i will add)

No - someone was having a discussion over who was better, nani or babel. they brought it to a wider audience. this thread could have become a liverpool vs united manhood swinging contest, but imo it has not. It has been a discussion of the merits of both players and how they fit into the systems of their respective clubs. Sure people have disagreed regarding how good they think either player can become, but your critique of the thread seems to be based on assumptions rather than reading the thread (the same Ruud vs Henry, Ronaldo vs Reyes (:D) assumption I held before reading the thread, i will add)
    As far as I can see it is becoming that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

it really isnt.

in fact the only real negative post in this thread, has been your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Liverpool need him as a finisher (not up forward but yeah left wing forward) to share the burden with Torres and Gerrard.

Very young anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

What has Nani done in the last month to suddenly become the darling of the Mancs here?

Dont get me wrong, Ive said for the past 8 months that he is the most underrated player in the EPL. Thing being, most of those underrating him were Man U fans completely slating him. :confused: Bad buy, bad temper, sloppy player, bizarrely I saw the lot here. And now two games in he is the way of the future? Did the near miss of losing Ronaldo force people to rethink or something?!!?

In fairness this thread has been a pretty reasonable discussion about two different players. As someone said, the only childish post has been yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nani and Babel are at the same level at the moment, i think. Both decent looking players (although different in style) Parts of the season last year, they looked completely average, other times they looked the business. It's all potential at the moment.
    As a Liverpool fan, i'm really looking forward to seeing how Babel gets on this year. He has a full season under his belt and saw plenty of action.
    And Boggles, you said earlier to name a match last year where Babel was good. Our away win at Bolton is a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

for me i think babel is the better player at the min and i think he will develope into something really special, it is a big year from him and hopefully he will step up to the plate.

looking at the stats posted by PHB i hadnt realised nani played so much last year from what i remember seeing he was very disappointing at first and then brilliant against liverpool iirc but from what i have seen (limited) of him, he can be very frustrating and then create something in second. I think he will turn out to be a very good winger but something just short of world class.

One of the biggest differences in them at the moment is that (and i could be wrong as i haven't seen as much of Nani as the manu fans obviously) it seems Nani is consistently good, while Babel is often incredible and often mediocre. Both are good starting points for players of their age anyway and both look like developing with a bit of time. Babels improvements were notable over the course of last season, by the end he was a massive game changer to bring on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

would like to see him as a striker, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

would like to see babel get regular start in a settled pool team,

both are about equal at the mo,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i think both will become very good players but maybe not ronaldo/torres good.

Nani is the more out and out winger whereas babel seems to like the henry at arsenal role.

Both pretty much at the level you would expect for the age and experience.
    Good bit of business by both United and Pool

One thing is that babel doesnt seem that great when starting a game but usually performs great as a sub.

would like to see him as a striker, though.

Id prefer to see him as a support striker, off the front man to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Babel looks a good prospect but for me Nani >>>>Babel all day long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

From a Neutral. I'd definately be more excited about the potential of Nani. Maybe a bit petulant. He's young though, so hopefully he'll grow out of it. I think Nani has the advantage of being in a side that play the type of football that will make his talents flourish. Not sure Babel will have the same advantage at Liverpool. Maybe a bit, 'Duff at chelsea' with Babel at Liverpool. So far though, Nani has definately given more 'flashes of potential' than Babel IMO. Thats my 2 cent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Babel > Nani

Wasted potential will be the subject when talking about these in a few years though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

bumpity bump bump bump

Compare the twos contribution as subs on Sat-arguably the biggest game of the season.

One came on and did nothing.

The other came on and scored the winner and made a fool the best/second best RB in the league last year.

till the next installment,

Babel-1
    Nani-0

• Advertisement
Advertisement