Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Babel -Vs- Nani

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In fairness to Nani - he is a winger and was brought on as a centre mid. Fergie went BatCrazy with his subs on saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Babel-1
    Nani-0

lol. Isn't it not 1-1 from Old Trafford last season. Or are we starting again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

CHD wrote: »
    Babel > Nani

Wasted potential will be the subject when talking about these in a few years though
    Im sticking with this.

Babel all day though.Nani is seriously overated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

bumpity bump bump bump

Compare the twos contribution as subs on Sat-arguably the biggest game of the season.

One came on and did nothing.

The other came on and scored the winner and made a fool the best/second best RB in the league last year.

till the next installment,

Babel-1
    Nani-0

I'll agree with you to a point. Babel has looked the better player so far, although i'll also agree with Tauren; Ferguson has been a bit loopy this year with his tactics. but for the most, these two players have been reduced to cameo appearances so far this season so it's too early to judge. I'd wait til November at least really before coming to a conclusion.

I would also like to point out though that once again Babel's best contributions though have come through the centre, and not as a wing forward as some here were saying previously.

Hasnt Nani been banging them in for Portugal lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

could you give a ****e if Nani has been banging them in for Portugal?

couldnt care less wat Babel does for the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Trilla wrote: »
    Hasnt Nani been banging them in for Portugal lately?

3 in last 3, but it was against Denmark, Faroes and Malta, and he scored those 2 goals against Faroes and Malta in the last 10minutes when they were already hammered.

No but isn't the thread Nani vs Babel, or is another "Man United are better then Liverpool" "oh no their not" thread?

tbh, i suppose it is a Utd/Liverpool thread while both those players ply their trade at those clubs as i couldnt really give a ****e about international football and think you can tell **** all about people from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56742263&postcount=1142

As there all similar players what do people think of Kalou?

think you can tell **** all about people from it.

yeah can kinda see were your coming from, but some players do get big moves to Spain and England as a result of the international form. (Modric, Pavlechenko for example this year)

and how is it going for Pav and Modric?;)

(joking:i know they need time etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'd pick Babel, just a type aof player i like more, Nani will get a lot better but for now i would go for Babel..... BUT

Why ain't there any mention of the lad who has 124 club games and 12 goals and 13 International appearances for France with 2 goals AND is the same age as those other two buckos.... Yep i introduce Samir Nasri, ok 3 EPL games and 1 goal but he's better than those other two IMO:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Not as skillfull as the other two IMO, but a hell of a lot more powerfull.
    Needs a few more starts, and to assert himself a bit more.

Tonnes of potential though.

lol good find Pighead. Ah Mr Alan, you crack me up sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Honestly? I don't rate him much at all. Certainly not good enough to be in the Chelsea team.

Is he a striker? Is he a winger? I've no idea.

I used really like Kalou when he first came to the club. I thought he was as good a prospect as Babel and Nani when he arrived. I think he's been unlucky though, the managers at Chelsea have been more concerned with winning than developing the youngsters like him and Mikel so i think at 23 he'll never reach his full potential now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

lol. Isn't it not 1-1 from Old Trafford last season. Or are we starting again?

Well, if you wanna include that one when he came on when Liverpool where two down, a man down and whacked one in from 25 yards, fair enough.
    Babel came on on Saturday and changed the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Samir Nasri !

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well, if you wanna include that one when he came on when Liverpool where two down, a man down and whacked one in from 25 yards, fair enough.
    Babel came on on Saturday and changed the game

Ok its 1 : 0.5 then :rolleyes:

The Bobbel Babel strike was clearly better!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Honestly? I don't rate him much at all. Certainly not good enough to be in the Chelsea team.

Same type of player as Robinho.

MOG7 wrote: »
    Samir Nasri !

start your own ****ing Nasri thread! :mad:

Not as skillfull as the other two IMO, but a hell of a lot more powerfull.
    Needs a few more starts, and to assert himself a bit more.

Tonnes of potential though.
    Probably needs to realise it this year or be shipped on though. Hope he does.

that has to have been a little bit tongue in cheek?:p

Ok its 1 : 0.5 then :rolleyes:

The Bobbel Babel strike was clearly better!

Did Bobbel Babel strike against Chelsea and Arsenal?

Babel's last three goals are against the top three (besides us!:p) teams in the country.

Did Bobbel Babel strike against Chelsea and Arsenal

He's better than anyone who hasnt then, including Nani clearly.

I think Babel will become a better player with experience but at the moment I'd give the nod to Nani even though he does stupid things with the ball sometimes apart from some of his shots :p . Babel has great balance and you can see he is good at reading the game. I think Rafa has been a little over tactical with him and hasn't let him off the leash to play but I think that will come in time when Rafa knows that Babel knows the balance of the team. He's let him off the leash in some less important games and he showed moments of class, Derby for example last year.

he's best when playing the the left of a lone front man. left wing forward i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Both players have a big season ahead of them like I said previously. For me Nani is equipped with all the attributes to become World Class.

First touch is what seperates the top class from the good-average. It's not everything but it is an excellent indicator, Babel just can't control a football quick enough, this is something that can't really be thought either, it's instinct, for me this is why he will always remain average-good and won't be a Liverpool player in 24 months.

Pighead wrote: »

Brilliant!!! :D:D:D:D

coming from the same man who said only one team would be able to play football on saturday and we'd be parking the bus in front of our goal, thats a little funny Boggles :)

Boggles wrote: »
    Babel just can't control a football quick enough, this is something that can't really be thought either, it's instinct, for me this is why he will always remain average-good and won't be a Liverpool player in 24 months.

Prepare to be quoted.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But obviously nowhere near as good.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Dont think you can compare the two but give me Babel each and every day of the week. Nani has a better first touch but does nothing to turn a game in the way that Babel does. Nani seems like he doesnt know what to do with the ball once he gets into an attacking position. Wouldnt surprise me if he was shipped on at seasons end if he dont pick up his game.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Dont think you can compare the two but give me Babel each and every day of the week. Nani has a better first touch but does nothing to turn a game in the way that Babel does. Nani seems like he doesnt know what to do with the ball once he gets into an attacking position. Wouldnt surprise me if he was shipped on at seasons end if he dont pick up his game.

Which games have Babel turned? - Serious question.

Nani's 6 assists in the league compared to Babels 3 would suggest he does know what to do with a football in an attacking position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Nani did very well last year and got a shed load of assists and some very important goals. He has barely kicked a ball this season, very premature to say he could be shipped out at the end of the season if "he doesnt pick his game up", give the lad a chance!

Which games have Babel turned?

hmmmmm, let me think . . . . . . .

MY personal opinion is that they both have a long long way to go to become top players but that there is pretty mcuh nothing between them. I rate them as even.

Both have heaps of potential. Both have heaps of pace. Both have heaps of natural ability and skill.

Both can score a wonder goal one minute and hit the ball out of the stadium the next (Nani IMO is worse for this).

Both can be prone to making poor decisions in terms of distribution and deciding when to run.

Babel seems to have a cooler head (Nani's headbutt springs to mind)

Babel has more composure IMO as he is more suited to getting into the box than Nani whereas Nani is more suited than Babel to playing as an orthodox winger.

Nani has a better delivery from the wing (the strongest part of his game IMO)

Both COULD be top players, but equally both could make it to 25/26 having become good players but leaving you wondering about what might have been.

For me when it comes to these threads a lot of people seem to forget that united and Liverpool play very different styles of football which require a different style of player so therefore direct comparisons between players of the 2 can be meaningless as each player suits the needs of their team better.

• Advertisement

hmmmmm, let me think . . . . . . .

It was a question serious Alan, can you not leave the bullshít for 5 minutes.

IF your referring to the United match, he hardly turned it consider ing Liverpool were on top from the 15th minute.

But obviously nowhere near as good.....
    Obviously one will win trophies while the other won't :pac:

Both players have a big season ahead of them like I said previously. For me Nani is equipped with all the attributes to become World Class.

First touch is what seperates the top class from the good-average. It's not everything but it is an excellent indicator, Babel just can't control a football quick enough, this is something that can't really be thought either, it's instinct, for me this is why he will always remain average-good and won't be a Liverpool player in 24 months.

Brilliant!!! :D:D:D:D

Well, when Babel is worth double what we paid for him and is rated as one of the best players in Europe in 24 months time, i think your post will almost be as laughable as you saying that Babel is no better then Kieron Richardson.

when its 1-1 and being your team is unable to break the opposition down, if a sub comes on, then creates a great chance out of nothing (nutsing Brown at the corner flag) and scores the winning goal, i would call that turning the game.

if you wouldnt, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Babel is just an ok player, nothing more. He is good to throw on for the last 15 minutes of a game when his pace will cause problems, but he isn't (imo) good enough to be a regular starter for Liverpool if they're serious about winning trophies. A good 'impact sub' for sure though.

Nani has made no great impact as of yet but he has the potential to be a better player than Babel.

Well, when Babel is worth double what we paid for him and is rated as one of the best players in Europe in 24 months time, i think your post will almost be as laughable as you saying that Babel is no better then Kieron Richardson.

I said Richardson is better than Babel.

When was the last time Liverpool turned a young forward player into a superstar and sold him for colossal money?

• Advertisement

It was a question serious Alan, can you not leave the bullshít for 5 minutes.

IF your referring to the United match, he hardly turned it consider ing Liverpool were on top from the 15th minute.

One all when he came on. Scored the winner therefore turning the match from a draw to a win. That is called..........wait for it. Turning a game!!

I said Richardson is better than Babel.

When was the last time Liverpool turned a young forward player into a superstar and sold him for colossal money?

Oh, better?? Jesus, sorry about that (hee, hee)

I'd rather keep the superstars than selling them on for colossal money

One all when he came on. Scored the winner therefore turning the match from a draw to a win. That is called..........wait for it. Turning a game!!

Incorrect, Turning a game would be if Nani had come on and changed the complete complexion of it and United won.

Babel Bobbled a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd have a different opinion of turning a game. For me it isn't just about goals. van nistlerooy was not a player to turn a game imo - he relied on people like scholes to turn the game. To 'turn' a game, the player would need to change the direction of the game, the flow of the game. Hamann 'turned' the game against Milan in 05. Keane turned the game against Juve in 99. Babel came on as a sub into a team already dominating the game - he didn't turn anything. He had an impact.

when its 1-1 and being your team is unable to break the opposition down, if a sub comes on, then creates a great chance out of nothing (nutsing Brown at the corner flag) and scores the winning goal, i would call that turning the game.

if you wouldnt, fair enough.

to be fair if u wanna get into isolated incidents, Nani scored probably the higest pressured penalty of all of them in Moscow considering if he missed there was no coming back. He absolutely 100% had to score....no hoping VDS would save the next to save his @ss, no hopin Terry slips (:D) nothing, if he missed, we lost....... simple....and he buried it.

Isolated incidents are meaningless in these debates. Babel nutted a player? So what. Kuyt was the one who made the goal by capitalising on Giggs fcuk up and playing the pass to an unmarke Babel. Nani nutted a few in OT last year too, and scored a screamer, but thats a one off, we're talkin more what they do every week and how to rate their abilities. Remember John O'Shea scored a screamer against Arsenal a few years back, scored a similar goal to babel at Anfield a couple of years ago...u wont find anyone sane who thinks that those 2 isolated incidents suddenly make him better than Torres! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement