Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Babel -Vs- Nani

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Boggles wrote: »
    Incorrect, Turning a game would be if Nani had come on and changed the complete complexion of it and United won.

Babel Bobbled a goal.

Yeah...........and it went in. Game over! Or are bobbles disallowed!

Tauren wrote: »
    I'd have a different opinion of turning a game. For me it isn't just about goals. van nistlerooy was not a player to turn a game imo - he relied on people like scholes to turn the game. To 'turn' a game, the player would need to change the direction of the game, the flow of the game. Hamann 'turned' the game against Milan in 05. Keane turned the game against Juve in 99. Babel came on as a sub into a team already dominating the game - he didn't turn anything. He had an impact.

Yeah, that's one way of turning a game, i agree. But when it's one all, the chance of Utd getting a smash and grab and Babel comes on creating chances and putting one away, that to me is also turning a game. If he hadn't scored, it'd be a draw. Not a Liverpool win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

It was a question serious Alan, can you not leave the bullshít for 5 minutes.

IF your referring to the United match, he hardly turned it consider ing Liverpool were on top from the 15th minute.

Nonsense. Babel made a huge differnce when he came on. He made the Man U defence look like chumps rather than champs several times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

monkey9 wrote: »

No one is saying that. We are just saying Babel's introduction did not change the game, he did not turn the game. Liverpool were as dominant before as they were after his introduction. A goal does not automatically mean the scorer has 'turned' the game. Turning the game implies a momentum switch between the two sides, this did not happen on Saturday. Babel made an impact, but he didn't turn the game any more than Tevez did at Anfield last season, or O'Shea the season before.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Nonsense. Babel made a huge differnce when he came on. He made the Man U defence look like chumps rather than champs several times.

Yeah - cause we looked awesome in defence prior to his introduction.... United looked crap on Saturday, before Babel came on, just as much as they looked crap when he came on.

No one is saying that. We are just saying Babel's introduction did not change the game, he did not turn the game. Liverpool were as dominant before as they were after his introduction. A goal does not automatically mean the scorer has 'turned' the game. Turning the game implies a momentum switch between the two sides, this did not happen on Saturday. Babel made an impact, but he didn't turn the game any more than Tevez did at Anfield last season, or O'Shea the season before.

He put Liverpool in front. Utd could no longer just sit back.

I said Richardson is better than Babel.

When was the last time Liverpool turned a young forward player into a superstar and sold him for colossal money?

Ha Ha Superstar. Take your foot otta your mouth. Richardson is nowhere near Babel's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Worst thread EVER.

My da's better than your da :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah thats not what he's saying. People are using that goal as a gauge to say that Babel is better then Nani. THis is the last post i'm gonna put in this thread cause its just gotten completely out of hand and rubbish.

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please people can we cut out the bickering.

Yeah, that's one way of turning a game, i agree. But when it's one all, the chance of Utd getting a smash and grab and Babel comes on creating chances and putting one away, that to me is also turning a game. If he hadn't scored, it'd be a draw. Not a Liverpool win.

Too simplistic a view imo.

So did Ronaldo turn the game at OT against Pompey last season - it was 0-0 til he got his goals... Did he 'turn' the game against Fulham with his last minute goal? No, the result changed because of him, but he didn't 'turn' the game as there was no shift in momentum as a result of what he did. He had an impact.

Neither O'Shea nor Tevez turned the game against Liverpool at Anfield in previous seasons, they simply scored winners. Not every match has a 'turning' moment, regardless of the score.

If United had been on top prior to his introduction, or had been getting back into the game, then I would agree with you. But United looked like going nowhere and Liverpool were on top. For me the two game turning moments were Carrick breaking a bone in his foot and then being replaced by Giggs - both incidents screwing Uniteds midfield and thus giving Liverpool all the ball in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fair enough for comparing players, but if peoples opinions on the subject have actually changed due to one match, they need to seriously think about how they think about football.

He put Liverpool in front. Utd could no longer just sit back.

Eh? Liverpool were dominating before he scored and after he scored. the game didn't change.

So did Ronaldo turn the game at OT against Pompey last season - it was 0-0 til he got his goals... Did he 'turn' the game against Fulham with his last minute goal? No, the result changed because of him, but he didn't 'turn' the game as there was no shift in momentum as a result of what he did. He had an impact.

Neither O'Shea nor Tevez turned the game against Liverpool at Anfield in previous seasons, they simply scored winners. Not every match has a 'turning' moment, regardless of the score.

If United had been on top prior to his introduction, or had been getting back into the game, then I would agree with you. But United looked like going nowhere and Liverpool were on top. For me the two game turning moments were Carrick breaking a bone in his foot and then being replaced by Giggs - both incidents screwing Uniteds midfield and thus giving Liverpool all the ball in the middle.

For me the turning point was Liverpool saying **** this,there's no way this crowd are beating us again and playing better than Utd for the rest of the game. Imagine that.

Trilla wrote: »
    Ah thats not what he's saying. People are using that goal as a gauge to say that Babel is better then Nani. THis is the last post i'm gonna put in this thread cause its just gotten completely out of hand and rubbish.

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please people can we cut out the bickering.

No, you stop the bickering!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Exaggeration. Babel did alright when he came on, but like others have said Liverpool were in control of the game at that stage anyway. He did nothing special, and his goal was a fortuitous one, scuffed it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Anfield.
    8th of April 2008
    Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal
    Liverpool 3-3 Arsenal on aggeragate.
    Arsenal all set to go through on away goals.
    Babel comes on with 12 minutes to go (okay Liverpool were 3-2 up when he came on!)
    Babel breaks through the defence before being pulled down.
    Gerrard scores the penalty.
    Nervey last few minutes ended after Babel breaks from his own half to slot past Almunia.
    Babel changed the game
    Liverpool won.
    Champions League Semi final bound.

End of discussion.

Well ,we can call Babel's introduction a turning point seeing as he won the game

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Exaggeration. Babel did alright when he came on, but like others have said Liverpool were in control of the game at that stage anyway. He did nothing special, and his goal was a fortuitous one, scuffed it in.

Goals are special!

For me the turning point was Liverpool saying **** this,there's no way this crowd are beating us again and playing better than Utd for the rest of the game. Imagine that.

So you agree Babel was not the turning point. Thanks.

If any Liveprool player turned the game, it was Mascherano. Beast of a player and great on the day. United were doing well in midfield til Carricks injury and Mascherano getting going.

• Advertisement

Well ,we can call Babel's introduction a turning point seeing as he won the game

You can, but i'll continue to disagree.

He did well when he came on. But there was nothing for him to turn - United were not the better side before he came on, we were not controlling the game. Our defence did not look capable of getting through the rest of the game without conceeding. We did not look like scoring. Babel made an impact. He did not dominate the game, he did not 'turn the tide' of continuous United attacks.

aidan24326 wrote: »

This is such a silly arguement. He did nothing special? He came on and scored the winning goal. If theo walcott had come on for Arsenal and done what Babel did on Saturday (ran the United defence ragged) people would be raving about it. Anyways this will just go round and round and im done with it.

So you agree Babel was not the turning point. Thanks.

If any Liveprool player turned the game, it was Mascherano. Beast of a player and great on the day. United were doing well in midfield til Carricks injury and Mascherano getting going.

Thats right..United lost because Carrick got injured nothing to do with Babel scoring a goal. Sure

You can, but i'll continue to disagree.

He did well when he came on. But there was nothing for him to turn - United were not the better side before he came on, we were not controlling the game. Our defence did not look capable of getting through the rest of the game without conceeding. We did not look like scoring. Babel made an impact. He did not dominate the game, he did not 'turn the tide' of continuous United attacks.

There was a drawn match to turn. Listen, i get what you're saying, i do. But we'll be here all day with this.

What, nobody wants to argue the arsenal game!:D

What, nobody wants to argue the arsenal game!:D

The one that he turned??

• Advertisement

The one that he turned??

The arsenal game is an example of a game he turned, imo.

The one that he turned??

Boogles wanted examples of babel turning games.
    Stevie wonder couldn't argue with the arsenal game!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Can't overly compare I think, Nani is an out and out winger, Babel is more of a withdrawn striker I think, both very very promising players though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They Can Both Píss Off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

They Can Both Píss Off!

End of.
    Someone lock the thread :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They Can Both Píss Off!

lolz i love being right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thought babel was excellent last night myself! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Both of them are useless.

Nothing more to add really.

I honestly wouldn't write either of them off yet.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't write either of them off yet.

Nani is hardly starting or on the bench these days

says it all tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Headshot wrote: »
    Nani is hardly starting or on the bench these days

says it all tbh

No way can he improve like that anyway.

A7X wrote: »

he must not be good enough or isnt doing it in training then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

A7X wrote: »

And the fact we bought Zoran Tosic says something. He's a year younger (I think) than Nani, or are they the same age? Anyway, Nani's got more competition now so next season he'll need to make the step up, after that...he'll only ever be a bit player.

I think Babel's a really good player. Riera is uselss imo. Would rather Babel any day. Bit of a headless chicken at times but, he's dangerous.

ok then, i'm not gonna write babel off, you's can write off Nani all you want & add him to the ****e buys by Ferguson list! ;)

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Riera is uselss imo.

is that a joke?

Riera is an excellent player.

• Advertisement

ok then, i'm not gonna write babel off, you's can write off Nani all you want & add him to the ****e buys by Ferguson list! ;)
    I wont be biting Mr Alan ;)

babel will be gone in summer anyway

watch this space
    is that a joke?

have to agree with Mr Alan here
    great player

Ok, so we're agreed, Babel is better than Nani??? Yessssssssssss!!! Liverpool fans win again. Ok, close thread now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

is that a joke?

Indeed. I'll never forgive Pearce for not signing him permanently.

Sibierski on the wing FFS :mad: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Riera is a top top player. Just that he's not that fit. There's still loads more to come from him in the premier league

tbh, i wouldnt shed any tears if babel is flogged in the summer.

its his attitude more than his ability that irks me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nani and Babel to City for 128 million in June. U heard it here first. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

tbh, i wouldnt shed any tears if babel is flogged in the summer.

its his attitude more than his ability that irks me.

stevie G was full of praise for him on sly sports last night, he must be brilliant in training or something coz i honestly havent seen him play well in ages.

I am another who woulnt mind him leaving *if* we get back what we paid for him. Riera is a better option on the left.

babel will go to arsenal and wenger will make him into a world beater :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Kalou > Babbel > Nani

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CHD wrote: »
    Kalou = Babbel = Nani

FYP

All equally crap.

As Phil Jupitus put it on the Times podcast this week, Kalou is a waste of a shirt.

Advertisement