Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would like to try sailing.....

Options
  • 24-08-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi to one and all.... at 40 ish and being of the female persuasion... I was out sailing on a friend of a friends boat on a reasonably calm but well moving day on a lake on the shannon a few months back. I loved it. And have been considering trying sailing lessons ever since. But I haven't got a clue where to start... I don't have any clue what the diff types of boats are, don't know my aft from my ass.... (is there an aft even ? hmmmm).

Anyway... while I would endure the idea of getting wet to do one of these courses I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to the temp of the irish waters.... (I can hear the collective groan from here guys!!!!) I would kinda rather do a course where u don't have to be dunked or at least not too often..... Maybe that's somewhat impractical.... but hey it's worth asking. I used to go jetskiing and the like some time ago and fell out with enjoying it simply cos I couldn't stand being so flipping teeth shattering cold in that wet suit. More recently I've been out on a speedboat and realised (even tho I did enjoy the day) it wasn't just the numbing cold that caused my lack of interest, but the noise and the limited fun value by comparision to the enjoyment of the sailing. Obviously I'd prefer not to do the course with those still in nappies.... So... maybe when you've uncreased yourself from laughing at the idea of a more unsuitable candidate for sailing classes... perhaps you could offer some advice that doesn't go something like.... "don't bother luvvy.... if ur too chicken to get wet, u won't last five mins" :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Don't worry, getting wet is an anathema to me too ;)

You want to do cruiser sailing (i.e. proper yachts instead of dinghies or small keel boats). Well out of the water and no chance of a dunking.

http://www.sailingwest.ie/ (Dublin)
    or
    http://www.sailsoutheast.com/ (Wicklow)

Or search here for the rest
    http://www.sailing.ie/training/courseSearch.asp
    (search under cruising sail)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

+1
    Try to get into cruiser racing.
    Don't know about on the Shannon, there are plenty of adult sail training courses in the clubs around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Hey.... I really didn't think I was going to find what I was looking for here. I am pleasantly surprised to learn that those links are exactly what I was after. I was certain I'd have to don at least a 'pair' of wetsuits stuffed with a hot water bottle or two and try the dingy sailing!!!!

I must say thanks a mill.... Uv pointed me in the right direction. The term cruiser sailing makes perfect sense now I've seen it in print.... To me, there are cruisers and there is sailing.... I didn't really think to marry the two before.

Sincerely tho... thanks to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Lots of courses with Shannon Sailing http://www.shannonsailing.com/adultCourses.htm
    Jim.

Thanks again. :-) Much appreciated... I've sent them an enquiry email but am thinking the South East might be better. Rates are very reasonable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

In general all providers are accredited by the ISA . See www.sailing.ie for a full list

To combine great sailing instruction for beginners and a fun-filled holiday with others "in the same boat" it's hard to beat Glenans. Go to Baltimore on say the "Baltimore Bay" course -small dry keelboats perfect for learning on. See www.gisc.ie . There's a great welcome and if you go on your own it can be even more fun.

PM me if you want more thoughts

Spinnaker wrote: »
    Go to Baltimore on say the "Baltimore Bay" course -small dry keelboats perfect for learning on. See www.gisc.ie .

Ye see.... even with the word 'dry' hidden in there in the middle.... the term "Small dry keelboats" sounds like the type of boat I would get wet in... or more accurately get wet and freeze (when thrown OUT of it).... The idea of meeting up with others definately appeals tho!!!! Right at this moment in time my next few weekends are fully booked with different persuits including a hol, but I am very thankful for the research material for when I can have a go at this.

I've also been talking to the lads in work to see if they would be interested in doing a day out type trip and am getting some positive feedbback.... the weather out there today though would even put off a seasoned trawler fisherman I imagine!!!!

There is no getting "thrown out" of small dry keelboats such as a Glenans 570 ro Beneteau 211. Thats the dintinction ...keelboat not dinghy ... no wet suit required!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Spinnaker wrote: »
    There is no getting "thrown out" of small dry keelboats such as a Glenans 570 ro Beneteau 211. Thats the dintinction ...keelboat not dinghy ... no wet suit required!
    +1
    We hardly ever throw people overboard.

dammed RRS telling us we have to finish the race with the same amount of crew...:mad:

:D

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ Something tells me you had your fingers crossed behind your back when you said/typed that!!!!

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

of course....

Sailing has a dark secret and I'll let you in on it.
    The only reason we go out and punish ourselves in all sorts of terrible weather is not for the love of it, its for the beer, craic and stories afterwards.
    Man is it worth it though.:D

My last serious sail was the round Ireland race this year - 4 days of storm conditions and one day becalmed in the rain (which was the cause of us dropping from first to third but that's another story).
    We slept in wet bunks, got no more than 3 hours sleep at a time and survived on cereal bars, chocolate and the odd re-heated bowl of stew.
    It was hell but I'd do it again tomorrow if I could.

Once you get into this, you're not gonna be able to stop.;)

Oh, forgot to mention the balmy sunny days which are few and far between in Ireland but are just heaven when they show up.

I LOVE the sales pitch SteveC!!!!!!!

I hear our competitor is looking for a sales man.... May I give them a recommendation?

I've a funny feeling I prob would enjoy alright!!! As chicken as I am about loosing my teeth through chattering cold dunking.... I do a fair bit of hiking etc. and have no prob with getting a good drenching.... So ur NOT putting me off YET!!

I see the reverse psychology is working :D

Oh THAT'S what that was!!!! :-)

So, MS K..Have you tried yet ?

Advertisement