Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Taxi's

• 24-08-2008 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

In Lieu of the old Dublin Bus photos does anyone have any links to old Dublin taxi photos?

There have been a few on the ''wheeling in the years'' .

05%20img004%2087-002%20April%201987.jpg

Seemes to have been cab co plates rather than the conventional plates we have now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

In this video (from 1985) there is a few old taxi's, i.e. Nissan Stanza and a VW Derby:

Also, in the film, 'The Commitments', there is a Toyota Camry Mk1 taxi (very few of them around these days):

303.jpg

Recently, I've seen a Mercedes W123 estate taxi going around Dublin. It'll be gone soon once the 9 year rule comes into force. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Cortinas and carinas were the order of the day back then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Max_Damage wrote: »
    303.jpg

Recently, I've seen a Mercedes W123 estate taxi going around Dublin. It'll be gone soon once the 9 year rule comes into force. :mad:

Picture002.jpg

Thanks for that pic Max, i always preferd the old skool roof-rack type sign, like mine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Saw a 420 SEL a few nights back. Front suspension looked very high and it sounded like a diesel. Was that the car that a Nissan diesel fit into fairly handily?

Onkle wrote: »
    Saw a 420 SEL a few nights back. Front suspension looked very high and it sounded like a diesel. Was that the car that a Nissan diesel fit into fairly handily?

Pale blue 89-D?

Yep back in the day they used to deck them out with a 2.7or8 Diesel from Nissan.

• Advertisement

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Pale blue 89-D?

I think it was th brown/beige colour, trying to think now

I think it was th brown/beige colour, trying to think now

I think I seen that one aswell. I think it's a 350SEL.

Anyway, the JDM Toyota Camry (taximan's favorite) are starting to get on in years aswell...

CB4_1076165_1_383742.jpg

I think I seen that one aswell. I think it's a 350SEL.

The one I saw was defo a 420. Didn't look in great shape either tbh

The one I saw was defo a 420. Didn't look in great shape either tbh

Was it on Pre-86 Plates?

Was it on Pre-86 Plates?

It was an '89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I remember in Cork in the 90's, you couldn't move for 87-90 white Corolla Japanese import taxis like this one:

Toyota_Corolla_1989.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I remember in Cork in the 90's, you couldn't move for 87-90 white Corolla Japanese import taxis like this one:
    Yeah I remember when I moved to Limerick in '98, every other taxi was a white JDM E100 (the ones after the above) Corolla. Ultimate poverty spec DX trim as well, with such luxurious features like an AM radio and... nothing else!

There is still a few of those JDM Corolla's going around Dublin as taxi's.

There is a beige W123 going around, on old Irish plates aswell.

There is a beige W123 going around, on old Irish plates aswell.
    Retro taxis,i love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep. W126 80s Mercedes with the obligatory Nissan 2.8 diesel conversion were my favourite taxi in the mid 90s. The concerto of the knackered suspension violins and the tractor diesel drums kept me half asleep on my biweekly Monday 4AM airport run :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It'll be gone soon once the 9 year rule comes into force. :mad:

Haven't heard of this before:confused:
    Hah! There'll be massive floods of carina's etc. and old mercs to hit the market soon so. I would think myself alot of taxi drivers would have car 9 years old +... That's a pity and a drain on those who do

Hah! There'll be massive floods of carina's etc. and old mercs to hit the market soon so. I would think myself alot of taxi drivers would have car 9 years old +... That's a pity and a drain on those who do
    Yes.our wonderfull government legislation,theres an apparently true story of a brand new passat taxi in tralee failing its first PSV test because the dealer sticker in the rear window was deemed to be advertising,in all fairness....:rolleyes::confused:

Yeah, it was discussed on the motors forum before (I think it's 9 years, I maybe wrong on that though).

It will be a shame, because alot of the older taxi's, while still in good condition, will be scrapped because no-one will want to buy them. :(

In contrast, many African nations drive around in shít heaps like this.

Yes.our wonderfull government legislation,theres an apparently true story of a brand new passat taxi in tralee failing its first PSV test because the dealer sticker in the rear window was deemed to be advertising,in all fairness....:rolleyes::confused:

This country is a goddamn joke. :mad:

. :(

800px-Bush_taxi_station_wagon_type.jpg
    Ah,just like pre NCT days ireland,wernt they great days!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was discussed on the motors forum before (I think it's 9 years, I maybe wrong on that though).

It will be a shame, because alot of the older taxi's, while still in good condition, will be scrapped because no-one will want to buy them. :(

If i've ever talked to a taxi driver they're the kinda fella's who change the oil every few thousand and look after the cars. Might not be a bad second hand buy for starters etc. There should be something implimented to make use of all those high mlieage cars that will somewhat be deemed useless in a secondhand market. It'd be a shame to see them all go to banger racing etc.

There is a stigma though associated with taxi's (same with learner & rental cars). As a result of this, most of these cars will end up in the crusher prematurely.

I remember reading a while back that some cheap 2nd cars here are shipped to Africa and Russia, where there is a bigger market for them. I'll have to find out more details on that.

There is a stigma though associated with taxi's (same with learner & rental cars). As a result of this, most of these cars will end up in the crusher prematurely.

I remember reading a while back that some cheap 2nd cars here are shipped to Africa and Russia, where there is a bigger market for them. I'll have to find out more details on that.

Do, let us know if you find out more. My head isn't in the right state for googling at the minute, needs to hit the pillow haha.
    The days of the old reliable Toyota taxi drivers so will be soon gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its a bit silly since the Taxi's have regular NCT's and Carriage Office inspections. I would prefer a trip in a '98 S-Class / Lexus than in a new Corolla or Passat !!

MercMad wrote: »
    Its a bit silly since the Taxi's have regular NCT's and Carriage Office inspections. I would prefer a trip in a '98 S-Class / Lexus than in a new Corolla or Passat !!
    True,if they are tested,why not allow them to be used as long as they can,its more environmentally friendly too,no new car built,no old car scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

This poverty spec Corolla is featuring in some taxi ranks around the country.

1365132_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

seen a 89 bmw and a 89 toyota corrolla sprinter in town there a while ago... new rule will take off more bad cars then good.

^ I hate this attitude, 'if a car is old, it must be crap' :rolleyes:

S.I.R wrote: »
    new rule will take off more bad cars then good.
    If it has its PSV test every year,how can it be a bad car/taxi,surely if it meets a certain standard it cant be a bad car??!!That 9 year rule seems stupid to me for the reason stated above,another example of how our government are a bunch of idiots.

• Advertisement

If it has its PSV test every year,how can it be a bad car/taxi,surely if it meets a certain standard it cant be a bad car??!!That 9 year rule seems stupid to me for the reason stated above,another example of how our government are a bunch of idiots.

+1

19 year old rule should just about do it. When is this law coming in anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

+∞

Car ageism, whatever next?

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've been in that 240TD. Much and all as I like the idea of W123 taxis, the car itself is a POS.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've been in that 240TD. Much and all as I like the idea of W123 taxis, the car itself is a POS.

The 85 blue estate? Did ya chat about why he's using it as a taxi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

switched on the tv i think it was last year. An episode of Bracken was shown, in the driveway of Neil Toibin's mansion was a Humber Hawk taxi.
    I think the year was 1978.

• Advertisement

The 85 blue estate? Did ya chat about why he's using it as a taxi?
    I'd had a few drinks at the time, and he wasn't too chatty, but I got the impression he just saw it as cheap, reliable wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

^ I hate this attitude, 'if a car is old, it must be crap' :rolleyes:

Me too...

It's like the Greens roaring for old cars with high CO2 to be taken off the road when it would actually be more environmentally friendly to pro-long their lives as long as possible. Bunch of feckin Southside, middle-class twats:mad:...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

I am trying to find out some information about a 1928 Armstrong Siddley which was originaly registered in Dublin (Z 2308) and owned by a family who had their crest on the doors. The car made its way to Quilty in West Clare where it was used as a taxi for several years. My dad bought it in the late 60's and sold it to someone from Dublin.

I have some recollection of hearing that the car had never been restored and was laying vandalised up around the Sligo / Donegal area ? ?

Anyone ever come across it of know of its fate or whether or not it is still in circulatiuon ?

That reg isnt on cartell,so it hasnt been on the road since 93 at least,cant help anymore than that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 panelb/sprayer

whisel taxi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i was in a 91 seirra taxi the other day...

honestly... ive been in chicken coops which smelt better, the seats where torn... taxi fella even had the cheek to ask for a tip...

Down with this idiocracy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I know this is digging up an old thread, but anyhoo:

You're semi-correct :D about that taxi. It was a VW Caravelle bought in Divane's in Castleisland for use by a local hackney (AFAIK Hackneys aren't allowed carry advertising, taxis are). Divane's are one dealership who use the tiniest stickers on the rear window and only have the word "Divane" written on the number plate surround. No phone number, address, logo, nothing. The idiot testing the car failed it because of its number plate surrounds carrying advertising. It made the front page of the Kerry's Eye at the time!

You're semi-correct :D about that taxi. It was a VW Caravelle bought in Divane's in Castleisland for use by a local hackney (AFAIK Hackneys aren't allowed carry advertising, taxis are). Divane's are one dealership who use the tiniest stickers on the rear window and only have the word "Divane" written on the number plate surround. No phone number, address, logo, nothing. The idiot testing the car failed it because of its number plate surrounds carrying advertising. It made the front page of the Kerry's Eye at the time!
    Surely you mean the idiot who brought the car for the test.;)

Thanks for clarifing that sir.:)

Advertisement