Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Romania is a poor country - yeah right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They love their AMGs over there. never saw as many of them anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Boards.ie/motors reaching lower and lower.....

You do realise the country posted has a population of 22million+ ??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Churchy wrote: »
    You do realise the country posted has a population of 22million+ ??

what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

a bit like Ireland - the country (and system) is poor enough but a lot of individuals are wealthy - we love our BMWs - more per head than germany

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Ireland boasts 100,000 millionaires as of March '06. Don't think we ever see that many topend cars floating about Ireland on the one day, never mind in the same carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    what's your point?
    Presumably his/her point is that judging a country's wealth by the cars found in one carpark is a bit silly!

This country was on it's knees in 1986 but it was still possible to see many flash cars in certain places around Dublin. That didn't mean we were a rich country!

I was in Albania in 1988 when it was on a par with many African countries but there was still a few new Rolls Royces going around Tirana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

I'm not surprised, I've seen some very good cars on Romanian roads each time I was there. You can sense this on the drive from the airport to Bucharest, with the big name showrooms, Porsche, Jaguar & the like.

Mamaia is one of the top resort areas in Romania, its like the Cannes of Western Europe. The upper middle class & above like the very best cars they can afford, unlike in Ireland where many well to do folks still drive their old punto's.

Since Renault took over the local ex-communist car maker Dacia about 5 years ago & modernised the local manufacturing ops, they've turned some impressive models with the Dacia Logan series. Well priced for the local market too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Ireland boasts 100,000 millionaires as of March '06. Don't think we ever see that many topend cars floating about Ireland on the one day, never mind in the same carpark.

Yeah, but how many of those millionaires were due to the value of their home.

I'd say there are a few thousand less now.

BTW, Ireland ain't rich, just look at the rubbish public transport system, health, roads.....I could go on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

mmmm very nice, i'm just back from Prague, i must have seen 5 or 6 different SL65 AMGs, a couple Vettes and a viper and a couple Imprezas wit Rally Graphics which sounded like hell... But inbetween each of them i seen around 5 zillion Skodas:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Do i detect a hint of resentment neuromancer? :rolleyes:

In a country that relatively large they are not all gonna be begging gypsies types!

As mentioned before , that specific resort is in a very wealthy area similar to puerto banus and the REX hotel chain where it says in the description that was filmed would be the equivalent to the Beacon court over here

Its a big enough country , it is gonna have some nice parts and some people are obviosuly gonna be rich and have nice cars. What was your point exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

MOG7 wrote: »
    mmmm very nice, i'm just back from Prague, i must have seen 5 or 6 different SL65 AMGs, a couple Vettes and a viper and a couple Imprezas wit Rally Graphics which sounded like hell... But inbetween each of them i seen around 5 zillion Skodas:D

Yeah if you walk through the Jewish Quarter in Prague there is a street which sells a load of luxury good like Carteir etc. The amount of luxury cars I saw there was unbelievable "for a poor eastern country". The reality is you need to be be very wealthy to own a nice car here due to our crippling taxation something that is not found abroad. More stealth taxes today, cut the public sector wages and burn the speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The old town in Riga has a congestion charge type of scheme with physical barriers to get in and out. If I remember correctly, it's expensive. But the amount of 7 series, S Class etc knocking about in there is crazy. Even saw a Phantom and the first Citroen C6 I had seen. These countries may be in the process of rebuilding themselves post-Communism but there is no shortage of money in certain quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The economic analysis in this thread is breathtakingly insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm of the firm opinion that the premise of this thread is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm of the firm opinion that this thread deserves to be closed and forgotten

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement