Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Quattro system and fuel economy

Options
  • 25-08-2008 12:11am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi folks .
    I'm considering buying an 00 audi A6 and have a choice of two one has quattro and 80000 miles and the other has regular drive and 140000 miles ,
    I'm just wondering what differance the quattro makes to the fuel consumption .
    before I decide , anybody know about audi A6s ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I have a '98 A6 2.8 quattro sport with 122k miles and I get a consistant 26-27mpg. Not heavy but I know someone with a 150k mile 2.5tdi quattro sport who gets a consistant 34mpg, which isn't that light. This 6 pot diesel is the minimum a 2.2 tonne car should have to be at all refined. The 4 pots are very unbecoming in a premium saloon.

Quattro cars remains FWD 99% of the time so the 'driving extra wheels' thing is pub talk. The quattro system is heavier but to answer your question- in the real world, the 2 things are unrelated.

I wouldn't think for a second you're better off with the 140k car if they are around the same price and the quattro is probably a higher spec anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I'd get the one with half the mileage.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    I have a '98 A6 2.8 quattro sport with 122k miles and I get a consistant 26-27mpg. Not heavy but I know someone with a 150k mile 2.5tdi quattro sport who gets a consistant 34mpg, which isn't that light.

Its not bad. But you completely fail to mention what kinda driving that is. Cruising at 100 or crawling in traffic. The former I assume.
    This 6 pot diesel is the minimum a 2.2 tonne car should have to be at all refined. The 4 pots are very unbecoming in a premium saloon..

unbecoming? Seriously? Most VAG diesels are always a bit tractor like to me. If it was the 6 pot petrol then you might have a point. Though hands up, I've not heard them side by side to compare. A friend has a 2.8 petrol A6 which is nice enough.
    Quattro cars remains FWD 99% of the time so the 'driving extra wheels' thing is pub talk. The quattro system is heavier but to answer your question- in the real world, the 2 things are unrelated.

Not getting your point there. I would assume weight was a big factor in fuel economy, though I don't know how much heavier the quattro is over the 2wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

a 2.2 tonne car

2.2 tonne? :eek:

Dunno where you got that figure but a '98 A6 2.8l petrol Quattro is only about 1.5 tonne (and about 100kg more than the FWD version)

Advertisement