Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance degree

• 25-08-2008 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some general info on this degree.
    For instance, would there be a major difference between the Joint Honours and the Major/Minor option? Has anybody done either option ?
    How many hours a week would be involved ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I just finished this degree doing joint honours. The major/minor wasn't really pushed all that much unless you inquired about it.

It's about 20 hours in first year if I remember correctly, 16 in second year and 11 in third. Could be wrong there though and it probably depends on what modules you choose. Overall I think its a very good degree but its very Economics focused as opposed to Finance. I.e. My first market focused module was last semester of final year. It's got a good name in the working world as a good degree and the Economics department is regarded as one of the best in the country.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Thats about right for the hours, maybe even a little less in first year. Pretty easy workload as well, I did finance & accounting so was in most of the same subjects.

Far as I remember, the major/minor people didnt have to do some of the smaller, more specific economic subjects and that was the only real difference

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gooner1

From experience, you are better off doing the joint honours instead of the major minor as the maths helps a lot in 3rd year and even on to masters level.

If you are not that good at maths there are helper courses in first year that are well worth attending, even just for some extra help.

Advertisement