Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP ?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Will soon be moving into a new apartment in Dublin (Pembroke Square, Upper Grand Canal Street, Dublin 4) its one of those large apartment building places and im wondering what are my broadband options. I was told there is a phone line, but it is currently disconnected.
    I currently have 2meg Eircom in Cork, but as I live in a country area I never expected any faster, but living in Dublin I do :D

Now I havnt got onto my landlord yet but I cant see how getting a DSL based boardband could be any problem. So who are the best ? BT Ireland have 24meg/?meg for 56eur, while Smart Telecom have 8meg/400kb for 50eur, but then there is chorus/NTL who offer 20megs for 46eur, cheaper due to lack of line rental I guess. I dont care much for phone calls, so this would be the best but I dunno what the story would be for installing a cable modem there...
    So has anyone got an recommendation/advice on who to go for/avoid, or if anyone is living in that apartment building what type of boardband do you currently have ?
    Want it for gaming/downloading too :cool:
    Thank You

/edit, this crowd -> imagine are directly across the road, there best speed is 3meg for 35eur, if something goes wrong atleast I could complain to them in person :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

They are all good options really, a thing I would say though is NTL will usually have slightly higher pings than Smart or BT and judging by your sig you're a gamer. For me it would probably be smart even though at first glance BT and NTL are better value simply because of the legions of Happy Smart customers on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

They are all good options really, a thing I would say though is NTL will usually have slightly higher pings than Smart or BT and judging by your sig you're a gamer. For me it would probably be smart even though at first glance BT and NTL are better value simply because of the legions of Happy Smart customers on this board.
    oh I am indeed!
    If smart give better pings then this will be very easy to decide and its still 4 times faster download then what I currently have.
    Thank You :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've been with BT since 2005 and never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are people in Dublin city with Satellite. You may or may not get faster or even BB at all, but it's more likely.

UPC/NTL needs the TV Cable Coax ...

Only some exchanges have Smart.

Some wireless offerings can be as good as DSL and no line rental.

Advertisement