Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] Open University : Worth it?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am currently based in Malaysia and would like to supplement my current qualifications with an M.Sc. or similar in the Technology Management sphere. I figure it just may be relevant as I am a technology manager.

The preferred course was one run out of UCD Smurfit Business School but due to my location this is not exactly possible.

As such I have seen a similar course offered by the OU. It costs a similar amount of money too!

So the upshot are the qualifications and courses (/course materials) offered by the OU of a good standard? Would employers rate the OU?

My primary objective is knowledge not to get a piece of paper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

From what I've seen, qualifications from OU are well recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Hey,
    Well I know other Irish Universities recognise them as I'm starting a MA in UL after doing my undergrad with the OU. I got offered a place in every university I applied for on the back of my OU degree so that should tell you how they are viewed. I've even been told by a college lecturer that OU degrees are viewed more highly than many college degrees here given the independent nature of the study, ie. you have to actually study the material or else you fail instead of regurgitating lecture notes.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Hi thanks for the feedback, am finding that generally its well regarded and speaks volumes for time management / organisational skills if you do it along side your day-job.

However its extremely costly, the total cost for the course I would do is inline with a 2-year full time Masters. I know you can spread it over six years but it's really putting me off from a financial point of view.

Saint did you find the same?

As someone pointed out earlier, if you happen to shop in Tesco you can use your clubcard points to pay for the course.

Not sure Malaysian Ringgit Tesco points would apply but thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

It can be quite steep but you can claim 20% of the fees back although I'm not sure if you could do that from Malaysia. I did my undergrad over 4 years when generally it takes six. It's hard work alright when you're overlapping two courses and working full time. You're the only one that can determine whether you can afford it though. I just saved from year to year for the next course so I managed it fine. This year I decided to go to a traditional university and do my masters full time. I just didn't want to spread it over years after finishing my undergrad.
    Hi thanks for the feedback, am finding that generally its well regarded and speaks volumes for time management / organisational skills if you do it along side your day-job.

However its extremely costly, the total cost for the course I would do is inline with a 2-year full time Masters. I know you can spread it over six years but it's really putting me off from a financial point of view.

Saint did you find the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sicily79

Hi,
    Ive just registered with OU for the MSc in Technology management - and just received my forms to be completed. Yep it is steep, but ive decided to give it a go.
    All the reports ive received from it were great.

Good luck with your decision, and if you do decide to go with it let me know how you are getting on!!
    K

sicily79, am certainly leaning that way.

Looks like the cost breakdown will be:
    Compulsory: GBP3380
    'Optional' courses: GBP4605
    M.Sc. project: GPB2440
    Total: EUR12956

Amazingly you can spread this over eight years, altho I'd be aiming for 2/3 years.

Am most likely not going to start until next year so would be keen to get any feedback once you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sicily79

Will do.
    I am getting married next year so for time restrictions Ive decided to just do the first of the compulsory courses starting in Nov.
    But I'll definitely let you know how i get on.
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 amigos

Hi

I am currently based in Malaysia and would like to supplement my current qualifications with an M.Sc. or similar in the Technology Management sphere. I figure it just may be relevant as I am a technology manager.

The preferred course was one run out of UCD Smurfit Business School but due to my location this is not exactly possible.

As such I have seen a similar course offered by the OU. It costs a similar amount of money too!

So the upshot are the qualifications and courses (/course materials) offered by the OU of a good standard? Would employers rate the OU?

My primary objective is knowledge not to get a piece of paper.
    Hi,
    I just finished 1 year social science. I found juggling it with a job and family commitments really taxing, but to know many others were in the same boat as me was refreshing. I found studying in isolation the most challenging, I have learned that I need the support of a network of people to survive. You can join in some chat forums among students on their website, and there is loads of support there, the lecturers are great too very understanding when you need yet another extension for your assignment.

Best of luck to you

• Advertisement
Advertisement