Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on going Wireless...

Options
  • 25-08-2008 5:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Don't know anything about this stuff...

Have an Ethernet broadband connection at home with a Netopia Cayman 3300 Series, want to enable wireless access for new laptop.

What needs to be bought?? And at what cost? And is it as simple as just buying a piece of hardware? Where?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Basicly, you will need something Like this

Assuming your new laptop has Wireless (i'd be very surprised if it didnt)

You would need to have a following set up

3enfosdx06oeiip2ohoi.jpg
    please excuse the ****e drawing, its 5:45am

The Modem would have to be connected to your new Wireless router, then you connect to the new router via eathernet (at first) to set up the wireless.

once the wireless is set up, you would then have to connect with your wireless enabled laptop.

Bob's your uncle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Agent Smith's excellent diagram shows you everything you need there, but I think the cayman 3300 has everything you need in a dsl modem and wireless router, so no additional hardware needs to be purchased unless your laptop doesn't already have built-in wireless capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭macgowan

Steven wrote: »
    Agent Smith's excellent diagram shows you everything you need there, but I think the cayman 3300 has everything you need in a dsl modem and wireless router, so no additional hardware needs to be purchased unless your laptop doesn't already have built-in wireless capability.

Wait so are you saying I don't even have to buy one of those things that Agent Smith linked to?? The Cayman has one included in it?

And if not, how much roughly would one of those things cost in a shop? Laptop has all the necessary stuff, I believe... Dell Studio.

And nice diagram Agent Smith, by the way!

Advertisement