Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeats and returning to college.

• 25-08-2008 8:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I've only been in college for a year, so this repeating business is all new to me (maybe I'll be better prepared next year?). Anyway, I've seen posters say that the results are out on September 15th, yet registration is on the 3rd and 4th. Do I still register as normal? Or must I wait until the results are out so that I can register? Must I also miss the first week of college while I wait for the results?

On another note, I'm repeating three exams, am I correct in saying that I need only pass one and can carry over two to this year should I fail two?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

thats registration for incoming students (first years).

You can carry over up to four exams but It's a very bad idea.

To register the college will send you out your registration form around the date of the results from the repeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You can carry over up to four exams

I really wish I didn't know that. I had fully intended on studying this morning! :)
    To register the college will send you out your registration form around the date of the results from the repeats

But can I attend the first week, or must I sit it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

No you can attend the first week.

If you do carry the exams you'll have to do them PLUS all the ones you'll have this year. So you'd better study or you'll end up repeating a full year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is it only up to 4? I heard some cases of larger. But I agree, very bad idea. I did it and wont do it again (well, with the same amount anyway).

ec18 has summed it up perfectly. Strange, we were only talking about this last night!

Thanks very much for the info.

I really wish the college would send out all relevant information prior to the repeats starting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theghostat3

Yeah im glad i found this thread. I couldnt get in contact with anybody from the college to tell me what the story is with repeats and returning :/

A friend of mine in my course has his registration form since last week, so apparently i wont get mine for another week. Damn unorganized college!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

ec18 wrote: »
    You can carry over up to four exams but It's a very bad idea.

Are you sure? Few mates of mine failed three after repeating, and were told they could'nt continue because you can only carry forward a maximum of 2. This was last September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Think it varies from course to course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I was told today that you can only carry 2 as well.

Why don't WIT staff reply to emails? I've lost count of the amount of emails I've sent in over the past number of weeks to various departments with important questions. Why do they even bother listing email addresses as a method of contact if they aren't going to reply?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I have never tried emailing any offices, this is Ireland you will never get a response there, but my course leader person deal is usually fairly quick to reply, and I just sent an email the other day to another lecturer and he was equally as quick to respond.

Well, you are doing a computer course! They have no excuse for not replying :). I'm still stuck with some lecturers who think the ability to project hand-written notes onto the wall is the cutting-edge of technology!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You should be able to carry 4 subjects - 2 per semester as long as the subjects are not required for the year you are going into. I dont think this changes much per course. Iv carried 4 before..

As for not getting back to you - I think some departments are working flat out so dont have the time. Lecturer wise could be the same so find their office and try talk to them that way. Iv only came across 2 lecturers failing to return emails and a complaint was made by me in one case and the class in another. No improvement mind ;)

Hope that helps...

Advertisement