Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Light question

Options
  • 25-08-2008 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

When parked first at traffic lights yesterday waiting to turn left I had a red light with a flashing left amber filter light, the car behind was beeping and the driver was waving at me. My understanding is that the flashing amber filter light tells me to give way for pedestrians and that i must wait for a green light to proceed.

Am I correct in saying this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not entirely, when turning you must always be prepared to yield to pedestrians already crossing the road you are turning on to. A flashing amber filter light gives you the right to turn if it is safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

I wasn't sure either but because I had two lanes of traffic coming from my right I decided to be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Flashing amber is basically a Yield sign. You can go, but you don't have right of way. In my experience, lights with a flashing amber arrow never actually have a green filter light.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kenny11 wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying this?
    No - you were impeding the progress of the other motorist, hence the horn.

If you had to wait for the green light, why then would they put a flashing amber light there? ;)

Wishbone,

Is this correct? even though I had two lanes of traffic coming from my right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kenny11 wrote: »
    Wishbone,

Is this correct? even though I had two lanes of traffic coming from my right?
    Yup!

Rules of the Road - page 83 (Traffic Lights and Signals)
    A flashing amber arrow pointing to the left can appear at a junction. It means that you may move on past the traffic light, but only if you first give way to traffic already coming through the junction from the other road.

duely noted. The junction is the one right outside Cork University Hospital and is always very busy so that's why i elected to wait.

Advertisement