Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Estate Car has the Biggest Booth

Options
  • 25-08-2008 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm looking for a estate car with a big booth, here are my suggestions, Ford Mondeo, Volvo 850.

Can any one offer any other suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Vas_Guy wrote: »
    I'm looking for a estate car with a big booth, here are my suggestions, Ford Mondeo, Volvo 850.

Can any one offer any other suggestions

Toll booth or ticket booth?
    :D:D

I think the V70 has the biggest boot, but the E-Class wasn't too far behind AFAIR

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Citroen C5, Opel Omega, Merc E-Class, Volvo 940 ...can't get bigger than that

The mondeo would be in the same class as those ...Volvo 850 / V70 are quite a bit smaller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

:D Skoda Octavia estate has a very big booth, and would probably give you the most booth for buck, if that's a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

the c5 estate or the 300c estate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

c5 estate or 407 estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

peasant wrote: »
    Citroen C5, Opel Omega, Merc E-Class, Volvo 940 ...can't get bigger than that

The mondeo would be in the same class as those ...Volvo 850 / V70 are quite a bit smaller

Yep, you can put a whole 850 in the boot of the 940!! It's *much* smaller. Even the current, bigger V70 is nowhere as big as the 940. From pictures, it looks like the E-class esp W-210, looked big!

If talking about a new car/price-per-litre-capacity, new Mondeo estate is *big* - much bigger than Skoda Octavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

E class merc.
    I think it has 1900 litres or so of space. Anything top this?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E-class (W210) wins hands down with 2.0m3. Nothing else comes close. C5 and Mondeo with 1.7m3 each and so does the 940 (and with 1.6m3 the 850 is not much smaller - looks deceive)

unkel wrote: »
    E-class (W210) wins hands down with 2.0m3. Nothing else comes close. C5 and Mondeo with 1.7m3 each and so does the 940 (and with 1.6m3 the 850 is not much smaller - looks deceive)

sorry dude - but to my knowledge, those measurments are taken to the window line - hence you have the C5 et al up there. The 940 has a very shallow window-line so although the measurements might say it is not up there, I know from experience that it is - and well ahead of something like the 850.

Also, the 940 has flat loading bay with no lips with a much wider opening. Also, it is regular and square shaped - as much as possible with minimal intrusion from wheel arches.

Anyway, just wanted to point out about the measurements and how sometimes they can be deceptive. i.e, I've taken Washers, Driers, Fridges, beds all in the back of my 940 - but the measurements say I can't!
    17.png

MPVs would prob be a better bet though

Here's a bargain for you:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Omega/2.2-XE/1174585/
    CB4_1174585_2_697102.jpg
    Leather, auto and all ...

• Advertisement

superjosh9 wrote: »
    but to my knowledge, those measurments are taken to the window line

Or even to the roof? Afaik those figures are capacity only as in fill it with water :)

How practical it is depends on your needs I suppose. In car tests they used to (maybe still?) have one or more "standard" sets of suitcases so they could do a practical comparison

I seem to remember that DIN/ISO whatever is measured with standard 10*10*10 cm cubes ...but I could be wrong. Sometimes two measurements are given ...to the window line and to the roof (*2 for rear seats up or down)

Interesting, a standard 1l cube! Anybody any link to where official measurements are described?

I may have been wrong, seemingly it's not cubes
    38561279_a36afdf4c5.jpg

a google for this DIN 70020-1 ISO 3832 should reveal more ...

peasant wrote: »
    a google for this DIN 70020-1 ISO 3832 should reveal more ...

A quick google reveals that one has to actually pay to look at the detailed ISO standards? :eek:

ISO 3832

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

You need to consider whether or not you need the back seats at the same time as the boot capacity. The max figures quoted for estates will be with the back seats folded down.

The Octavia estate has a larger boot capacity than the Mondeo with the back seats up, but smaller capacity if they are down. The Honda Accord estate also scores well in this regard.

This site is pretty good for comparisons:
    http://www.newcarinfo.co.uk/html/search/

See min and max boot capacity for Seats Up, Seats Down values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Not sure if price is an issue, but the Kia Cee'd has a very large boot for it's price. Sure you'll get a bigger boot if you move up a class, but you'll pay a fair whack for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

I had one of these.

It could carry 7 people or a large couch.

260518.jpg

Two complete L-shaped desks with the little containers for underneath, one shelving unit, an office cupboard and five chairs ...just had to take the seats down
    or alternatively ...one large couch, also L shaped, one washing machine, a fridge, a stereo with large speakers, a 30" telly (no flatscreen) and several cardboard boxes with assorted junk

but then ..I'm not really driving an "estate" :D

I had one of these.

It could carry 7 people or a large couch.

260518.jpg

I always loved them. The W210 was such a disappointment after the classic 124. Beautiful proportions!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Volvo V70 815 litres
    Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate 630 litres
    Audi A6 Avant 565 litres
    Volkswagen Touran 695 litres

Advertisement