Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keith Earls

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What do you mean 'maybe'?
    How can something be personal, when you don't know, never met a person.
    It's absolute nonsense. I am surprised you enter into discussion with people about Rugby when you are prepared to make such ridiculous accusations.

Of course it could be personal, you might dislike his religious viewpoints, or the club he plays for or his haircut. I'm not saying you dislike him for any of those reasons btw, but it's feasible somebody could.

You obviously don't rate him as a player, despite his obvious talent and his scoring ability.

TarfHead wrote: »
    Does this thread just re-heat the same claims that were being made for Barry Murphy 2 years ago ;) ?

Murphy has lost the best part of three seasons through injury since he's been 20 or so, he's a good player, but he's not of the calibre of someone like Trimble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Of course it could be personal, you might dislike his religious viewpoints, or the club he plays for or his haircut. I'm not saying you dislike him for any of those reasons btw, but it's feasible somebody could.

You obviously don't rate him as a player, despite his obvious talent and his scoring ability.
    You're actually accusing me of being a Religious bigot now because I didn't agree with you that Andrew Trimble is a much better than a young Shane Horgan. I went through facts to support my case, but you dismissed all that which you are entitled to but to insinuate I am bigot of sorts is very wide of the mark.

This really is very sad and something that should not be tolerated in a forum about Rugby. Thankfully sectarianism and bigotry have never reared their ugly heads in Rugby, and its shameful of you to try and weave them into a debate that in no way warrants it.

Are you intolerant about people from the Royal County? About Shane Horgan because he didn't come through the school systems? Because you used to play GAA? Or his haircut? Have you a problem with that? What do you have against him? Do you see how stupid and ridiculous all these ad homiens sound?

I am sorry mate, but you sound like you are trolling.

Update:
    Mods since we have gone way off the OP, maybe its time to lock this thread.

You're actually accusing me of being a Religious bigot now because I didn't agree with you that Andrew Trimble is a much better than a young Shane Horgan. I went through facts to support my case, but you dismissed all that which you are entitled to but to insinuate I am bigot of sorts is very wide of the mark.

This really is very sad and something that should not be tolerated in a forum about Rugby. Thankfully sectarianism and bigotry have never reared their ugly heads in Rugby, and its shameful of you to try and weave them into a debate that in no way warrants it.

Are you intolerant about people from the Royal County? About Shane Horgan because he didn't come through the school systems? Because you used to play GAA? Or his haircut? Have you a problem with that? What do you have against him? Do you see how stupid and ridiculous all these ad homiens sound?

I am sorry mate, but you sound like you are trolling.

Update:
    Mods since we have gone way off the OP, maybe its time to lock this thread.

If you could read, I specifically said I doubted the above examples applied to you, but that they could apply to somebody. I was using them as illustrations of how someone could take a personal dislike to somebody they've never met. Here, for your benefit, is a copy of it again "I'm not saying you dislike him for any of those reasons btw, but it's feasible somebody could." I doubt anyone could make the accusation you've managed to wrangle from it.

It's a fairly simple point, but like reading dates correctly, it's something that is apparently beyond you.

Rather than engage in why you dislike Trimble, you have attempted to avoid the question. It's a fairly simple one and when you finally grasp it, could you possibly answer it?

I'll state how much I respect Horgan again, he's been great for Ireland, and he has improved hugely since his first caps, so please refrain from saying I dislike Horgan, but rather answer why you don't like Trimble.

Oh, and it's ad hominem, and it doesn't apply in this instance. Nice try though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

debate the post not the poster.

This is a warning Amazo.

I believe Horgan at 23 was a superior player than Trimble at 23/24. Horgan was a phenom at 12 for Leinster and tore defences apart with his power an pace.

He has been better and better every season peaking during the Lions Tour...however since then his curve went downwards but he has still been by far the best wing in the country.

Of course i'm probably biased as he has scored some of my fav tries ever...last minute against England in Twickenham to name but one.

Anyway this topic is about Earls who i reckon has the potential to be a much better player than either Horgan or Trimble. He appears lightweight but so did BOD when he burst onto the scene and being Ger's son i reckon he is a tough as nails. I just hope he gets a chance to play...he has been great offensively every time ive seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Rather than engage in why you dislike Trimble, you have attempted to avoid the question. It's a fairly simple one and when you finally grasp it, could you possibly answer it?
    I already said what I don't like about Trimble, as Rugby player. In attack he is one trick pony and in defense his technique isn't very good. I don't think he's a very good Rugby brain either.

His personal life is completly irrelevant to a discussion about him as a Rugby player. IT's absolutely ridiculous and well out of order for you to bring that into it. Whatever makes him happy, like anyone else, great.

Anyway, this discussion is going nowhere.

Earls has just scored against London Irish, but anyhow, Horgan scored no tries for Ireland in the season leading up to the Lions tour but several in both following years. That is when he was in his prime, but the Lions tour was not the zenith of his International career imo. That came in the Triple Crowns that followed. Not quite sure you feel it was a downwards curve after 2005 Ruggie?

(and yes, I know there is more to Horgan's game than simply pointing out how many tries he scores)

Earls is a stand-out talent, if he can stand the physical size of players now. And not only is he Ger's son, he's also from Moyross, extra hard.

I already said what I don't like about Trimble, as Rugby player. In attack he is one trick pony and in defense his technique isn't very good. I don't think he's a very good Rugby brain either.

His personal life is completly irrelevant to a discussion about him as a Rugby player. IT's absolutely ridiculous and well out of order for you to bring that into it. Whatever makes him happy, like anyone else, great.

Anyway, this discussion is going nowhere.

I didn't bring his personal life into it.

I love the way you laugh him off as a one trick pony, as though Ireland is falling over with fast, big players versatile enough to play 12, 13 or either wing. He's scored more tries already than have our wings ever do. Never said his game doesn't need work, but you can't just write of a guy with his talent.

Not sure what you mean about his rugby brain either, he's fairly lethal when playing for Ulster, often their most creative back.

• Advertisement

Earls gets MOTM tonight, out of two teams littered with top level players. Goddammit I hope his body holds up to pro rugby.

And that is the last from you two please ...it makes it tedious for others to read you tit for tat psoting.

IMO I think Horgan was at the peak of his powers on that tour. He was amazing in every game he played...travesty that he was on the bench as a utility back for the first tests (but maybe a victim of his excellent all round play).

Not that he was bad the following seasons I just don't believe he was as good the following seasons as he was during that tour. (He was very poor relatively last season but was still better than any of the competition for his place)

But again it's all opinion.

EDIT: MOTM...I have very high hopes for Earls. :)

And just after being named MOTM, he scores a second try. It's only a preseason game, but you have to admire his class.

And just after being named MOTM, he scores a second try. It's only a preseason game, but you have to admire his class.

are you watching it...and if so where!?

RuggieBear wrote: »
    are you watching it...and if so where!?

It's on the bbc radio berkshire. Live updates on mf.com.

After being named MOTM he scores from a kick and catch, sounded class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

It's on the bbc radio berkshire. Live updates on mf.com.

After being named MOTM he scores from a kick and catch, sounded class.

It was, from the scrum, O'Gara with the cross-field kick, picked up my Earls on the first bounce and he dived over the line in the corner.

Great game to watch but still a lot of things to work on, like lineouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Was at the game last night and Earls looks the real deal as BOD did when he was that young. The guy was fearless last night and everthing he tried just stuck. The Chip ahead try was just sheer class and if it was in the HC, it would be a contender for try of the season.

Puts some pressure on Mafi and Tipoki which is great to see

Nukem wrote: »
    Was at the game last night and Earls looks the real deal as BOD did when he was that young. The guy was fearless last night and everthing he tried just stuck. The Chip ahead try was just sheer class and if it was in the HC, it would be a contender for try of the season.

Puts some pressure on Mafi and Tipoki which is great to see

any highlights anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

themont85 wrote: »
    I dunno I always felt that Horgan was the most improved player on the Irish squad. He started as a centre and has been proved on many occasions, he doesn't have the overall game for it. He looked fairly average until he moved to wing permamently-suits his game more. His handling and running lines have improved with time into a very intelligent player.
    I thought Horgan was mostly an average player too, but I find that through the apparent hard work that he has put in, his game has improved dramatically. He is one of the stalwarts of the side in the last five years, and has served us very well. He is a decent winger, but a very limited centre and I wouldn't imagine that he would keep an Earls, D'Arcy, Fitz, Trimble out of the centre nowadays.
    Do youy think Trimble's future is in the centre though? I reckno with Cave, Fitz and Earls, as well as BOD and D'Arcy, he might be better off focusing on the wing.

I think that Trimble's role would come in the form of a strength type player in mid field, alongside the others, perhaps against bigger defences. He would be more effective at carrying it up than the others, who for all thier graces would lack that bit of physicality that Trimble has.
    Trimble is a much better centre now than Horgan ever was, but in fairness to Horgan he has proven himself to be every bit as good a winger.

Advertisement