Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Wheelers Randonee

Options
  • 25-08-2008 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a sign for this on the cycle track on the way in this morning...

http://www.dublinwheelers.com/news.php?readmore=70
    DWCC Randonnee

The club are running a Randonée on Sunday Sept 21st up around North Dublin/Meath.

It starts/finishes in St. Michaels House, Ballymun Road, goes via Slane for a long 140km route and via Bellewstown for a shorter 80km route.

It costs €15 with all funds going to St. Michaels House
    It starts at 9.00am, sign-on 8.00am to 8.50am

It is open to all members and non-members and we’d encourage all to participate (we can show off our new gear).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Here's the link for the "mini-site" for the randonee, no more information on it but they do have a link to a route map.

http://www.dublinwheelers.com/viewpage.php?page_id=20

I'm considering doing the 140km myself, but not 100% sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I should be able to take part in this, should be a fast one- the route is very flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Also interested, 140km on the flat would be a nice change.

Resurrecting this thread as reminder that the event takes place this Sunday 21st. Planning to do the 140km route myself.

According to post below, there will not be a mass start, so it'll be a case of sign in and on your way. So if anybody else is interested we could organize a boards group to meet up in advance.
    http://www.dublinwheelers.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=6&thread_id=55#post_178

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Might be on for this, need to see how tomorrow goes, need to get my rear wheel sorted out! Will post tomorrow night if I'm definitely on for it.

• Advertisement

MadHatter wrote: »
    According to post below, there will not be a mass start, so it'll be a case of sign in and on your way. So if anybody else is interested we could organize a boards group to meet up in advance.
    http://www.dublinwheelers.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=6&thread_id=55#post_178

Sounds like a plan Mad. I'm still up for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm in

Actually, is anyone who is doing this starting out south of the Liffey? I've never been that far north on a bike and could use a guide :o

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Actually, is anyone who is doing this starting out south of the Liffey? I've never been that far north on a bike and could use a guide :o

I'll be coming from D15 but if you've no other offers I can meet you somewhere en-route. E.g. Phibsboro...assuming you know how to get to Phibsboro ;)

Don't know where exactly St Michaels House is but planning to start at the bottom of Ballymun Road and keep going until I see a group of cyclists!

I'm pretty sure I can get to Phibsboro, would be better than nothing thanks MadHatter.

I'll PM you my number, but i should be decked out in boards kit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I'll be there.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I can get to Phibsboro, would be better than nothing thanks MadHatter.

I'll PM you my number, but i should be decked out in boards kit anyway.

Nice one. I'll send you a PM in a min with my number. Sign-on is from 8:00am-8:50 so if we say 8:15am in Phibsboro we'll should get to Ballymun by 8:30am. Phibsboro Shopping Centre is probably the easiet meeting point - big ugly building with a Tesco at one end and Eddie Rockets at the other, you can't miss it.

No boards jersey for me. I'll be on a black bike & wearing an orange jersey - but can't see too many cyclists hanging around Phibsboro at that hour on a Sunday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Dirk it's in Ballymun !!!! If you can get to O'Connell St. thats the big one with the spike look for the No 19 bus going north and follow it. It stops mright outside St. Michael's House.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wouldn't mind doing this, but I'm meant to be riding with Mrs Tonto on Sunday. I'll see if I can persuade her to go along.

el tonto wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind doing this, but I'm meant to be riding with Mrs Tonto on Sunday. I'll see if I can persuade her to go along.

G'wan g'wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

btw there's a claimed 700m of climbing across the 140km. with weather like today, it should b great. see yaz there.

You can see the profile here http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dublin/965775475337 (Tip: click the "show elevation" tick-box on the top right)
    There's a few short sharp spikes.

I am changing my status to "not attending", wasnt feeling the best after today's trek, lovely and all as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Won't make it, mechanical :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Really enjoyable spin today and very well organsed. The weather (and the buns at the finish) made it all the better!

• Advertisement

Aye, t'was enjoyable. Cracking day for it.

Nice day for a spin alright. Good crowd, good organisation and plenty of food at the feeding stations. And the course wasn't as flat as you might think. Bumpy, with a couple of short, sharp ones to keep you on your toes.

Big shout out to Raam for waiting for me at the top of the hill in Bellewstown...you're a hard act to follow on the climbs, and you make it look so effortless :eek:

i had a mechanical too, was stuck with my big ring, 53, all day. those short climbs were torture indeed. yeah, the fruit cake at the stop was magical. btw nice bike raam. very nice.

Madhatter: thanks mate, I was just following Euro rule #1
    Image and style shall be your primary concern. When suffering, one must focus first on maintaining a cool, even composure, and second on performance.

I was happy to wait anyway, it makes the run home a lot easier when there is someone else there to push the pace with.

BA: pity about the mechanical, it can't have made the hills easy. BTW, I reckon my bike would go fine with your kit ;)

plenty of reason to smile last sunday. say hello to raam, and thats me extreme left.

P1000211.JPG

Advertisement