Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUAs in Dublin

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hey there,
    I've recently got into the PUA scene, well the theory behind it anyway, and was wondering if there are any groups out there that meet regularly to test their skills.... I'd be interested in meeting up and sharing stories and techniques and putting them to the test....

talk soon
    D
    Tagged:

Comments

~facepalm~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Right, you're going to have to explain PUA first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

fitz0 wrote: »

It means you have a face like the back of a bus.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Google offered Pick up Artists as an option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Use the search function. This comes up every month. (that should be an indication of how well known it is... to both men and women)

You'd be better off reading some real pyschology books IMO

• Advertisement

So its just going out on the pull? Id say theres quite a few groups in th ecity do that. I believe they meet every Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

So its just going out on the pull? Id say theres quite a few groups in th ecity do that. I believe they meet every Saturday night.

in Coppers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. But these are a very special type of person who have to read a book on how to talk to girls before they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Most other nights also

Yep. But these are a very special type of person who have to read a book on how to talk to girls before they can do it.

o-kay!
    in Coppers
    Sounds challanging :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Moonbaby wrote: »
    ~facepalm~

Is that your fieldname?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

DubDrummer wrote: »
    hey there,
    I've recently got into the PUA scene, well the theory behind it anyway, and was wondering if there are any groups out there that meet regularly to test their skills.... I'd be interested in meeting up and sharing stories and techniques and putting them to the test....

talk soon
    D

Try talking to people, i find that works.

Also, when you keep needing to refer to the manual it kind of ruins the moment.

"Insert Tab A into Slot B is says....eh, which one is Slot B?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

Myself and a friend were outside Coppers after closing one Saturday night and we were approached by a guy who through out the "Just want to ask your opinion girls, I'm out with a friend...." yadda yadda.

Ten minutes later another guy comes up and does the exact same line. Then a guy who'd been standing near-by texting comes out with another line. At this stage all three lads were in stitches and we hadn't a clue what was going on.

Then a fourth came by and I realised they were all doing the PUA thing!

Very funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep pick up artists. Interesting subject, if for nothing else as a fashion and social movement. Kinda like the "rules" for women a while back. The "secret" and such guff is another one. The internet has really run with this. I suppose as there are likely to be more of a certain type of male involved who want lists and techniques to offset either a real or imagined social handicap with finding women. Reading some of them it's almost like linear press this button and get this reaction.

As a way of understanding women, much less "picking them up", it has serious holes. I can see how it would work in certain contexts, more often than it wouldn't, but those trying it are often so obvious that it's funny to watch.

It also has cultural baggage as it's mostly aimed at an american model, which in many ways is quite a different culture, especially in the dating arena.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I think if you search hard enough for lairs online, you'll find a Dublin email, it might not be active though and there's probably easier ways to get in contact with those types of groups.

Interestingly I know two guys who practice this "art".

One guy is well known in certain social circles already because of his father, completely loaded, dresses well and is a good looking guy. Aside from his already high social value he's used just some of the more basic things from the various pua sites and writers to improve his chances even more (he was already relaxed/confident etc.)

The other guy is so into his sarging that he's considering not going back to college! I fail to see how college impacts on his life that much but being a pua consumes him. In contrast to the first guy (they're mates) he's not great looking and wouldn't have the same background or natural confidence of the first guy. Yet he's so focused and well drilled that he has just as much success if not more than the other guy. It's helped him become much more outgoing and confident but I think it can be taken to extremes as well.

It can be really helpful to some people and can go way beyond cheesy openers, negs and some other stuff most people would have read in Neil Strauss' book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

So how do i become a PUA?

Send a cheque or postal order worth €125 and SAE to 742 Evergreen Terrace and your "Intruduction to sleaze" book will be shipped in 10-12 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

MIN2511 wrote: »
    you get it with your HGV license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Well being female just spread 'em and say "any takers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You just need a rag and an industrial sized drum of Rohypnol tablets.

Oh and you'll need to complete a manual handling course for the actual "picking up". I know I know. All this Health and Safety bull wrecks my head too but them's the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I second the facepalm. PUAs? Are you frigging kidding me?
    Unless it stands for Phuck Uph A$$hole that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Send a cheque or postal order worth €125 and SAE to 742 Evergreen Terrace and your "Intruduction to sleaze" book will be shipped in 10-12 working days.
    Nice one! Postal order on its way!:pac:
    taidghbaby wrote: »
    you get it with your HGV license
    I can't drive! :o
    tribulus wrote: »
    Well being female just spread 'em and say "any takers"?
    really:rolleyes:
    javaboy wrote: »
    You just need a rag and an industrial sized drum of Rohypnol tablets.

Oh and you'll need to complete a manual handling course for the actual "picking up". I know I know. All this Health and Safety bull wrecks my head too but them's the rules.

I don't do manuals... No patience!:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tribulus wrote: »
    It can be really helpful to some people and can go way beyond cheesy openers, negs and some other stuff most people would have read in Neil Strauss' book.
    I do think it's interesting in one way. Because it has gotten so popular and blokes are reporting what works and what doesn't on the oul web, it does make for some interesting angles on the psychology of many women in the reproductive arena. I do think that women have quite different reproductive "tactics" than men and the media and received wisdom among men and what women say themselves has gotten a lot of it wrong on the surface at least.

I know a bloke who is a major manslut and has been for years before this became fashionable. He does a lot of what this stuff suggests. he learned it through trial and error. His main thing seems to be to turn the tables completely around with women. He says he never bribes women but rewards them for "good behaviour" as he puts it. He's the one that should be pursued not them etc. I've seen him actually tell them out straight that he just wants a shag and it working. I've seen him pull women with boyfriends too. Boyfriends that they claimed to love all the way to his bedroom door.

The thing is he's so cynical about women now that I fear he'll never find what he's looking for. He fears this himself. He regularly states that he can't trust women. He seems to see them almost as automata that he has figured out how to work for his own ends. I would personally hate to live like that. Of course that's an extreme, but no thanks. Lovely guy too which makes it worse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

I dieing to find one of these 'lairs' and go along just to observe, I'd say its an ODD experience.

Re: Wibbs post... Its all about the trial and error, I'm similar to your friend but not nearly as cynical and I'd hate to get to the stage where I would be worried I'd never find the right person. He probably addicted to attracting women (I think I was in the past, honestly)... he needs to lay off going on the pull for a few months then gradually going back into it... I'd say he's more interested in proving to himself that he 'CAN get THIS girl' rather than actually interested in the girl and her personality. Its a weakness, constant need to validate yourself to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I got into the PUA thing myself, and I have to admit it did work, and it did help me take good looking women off their pedestal. But there was definitely something weird about the whole scene. And there was also something sad about particular guys who needed to learn off tricks and conversations just to pull women. But what can I say it worked for them and gave them confidence. The funny thing is whenever I talk to girls about it and explain it in a less creepy way they actually find it interesting and sometimes Ive even scored after talking about it.

There is one guy called the juggler who imo is the best, for the very reason that he is more interested in making someone simply confident with women not from routines or magic tricks but more from just practicing talking to them. i.e. throwing them in the deep end,

I gave it up as I was actually too busy and wasnt interested enough but it definitely helped me take away my feeling that a great looking bird was the be all and end all.

My advice to anyone looking into this: spend more time working on your own self confidence and what they call "inner game" and the rest will take care of itself. You wont need any bullsh1t pick up lines or routines then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

you mean its aimed at women that dont drink pints?

can you be sober to do it and can the women have nice tits?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I find it kind of interesting, probably more something I'd like to watch for a laugh than do, but ya never know it sounds like something myself and one of my buddies would do for a bit of fun. Not that I have any problem pulling women at the moment! No, Casanova but I do alright as I am..

Purely for the expression on the girls face using a line you know your friend has just used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I would love to know more about this, because I think it would be hilarious to go to a club where one of the meetings is going on and lolol at the tactics. No offense, I'm sure you're very successful. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

if it gets them laid more power to them I say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

takes alot more balls to tell yourself your not getting women/the kind of women you want, and try to do something about it than it is to sod this off as sleazy and comfort yourself in the belief that your just not good looking/wealthy enough to get the type of women you really want...
    and the women of boards.. is it not impressive to you that there are men out there trying to better their own lives and make themselves more attractive to you? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement