Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUAs in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I'm guessing the term 'proportionate response' isn't something you're familiar with.

Not really, no. Then again, I don't go around insulting and belitting strangers for my own amusement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Not really, no.

Well that explains it.

You might want to look it up sometime, i think it'll help you understand why it's generally frowned upon to react to every percieved slight by swinging your fists.

Hellm0 wrote: »
    So it's ok for you to belittle an entire swatch of people as "sad"?

Have I made anyone feel bad or publicly humiliated them? Have I been cruel? No. I just think it's sad.
    Also, "Insolence"? Someone who feels the need to physically assault others is doing so because they feel too weak to prove they are powerful by other means.

What makes verbally assaulting someone any different from physically assaulting someone? Apart from the obvious. They as bad as each other.
    This isn't the wild west, we live in a society where rewiring someones jaw is a crime you realize. Just because someone acts like a git doesn't mean you do too.

If you don't want a hiding (or a slagging) it's very simple - leave people alone and be a decent human being. If you're a smug git and you belittle strangers in public, you deserve what you get IMO.

Not that I've ever attacked anyone physically for being a prick. I just don't see anything wrong with a arrogant, insolent asshole with getting a massive hiding.

Well that explains it.

No... it doesn't.
    percieved slight

There's a difference between a perceived slight and being verbally and smigly assaulted by a complete stranger so he can feel good about himself. Which is really what I was getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

The fact is if someone belittles you he is giving off the impression that he is more alpha than you

so I have no problem if someone was to respond physically as it is essentially calling the person out and exposing the underconfident and fake that they are

If they want to talk the talk then they got to be ready to walk the walk.

You belittle someone in front of a group of people in this city and be prepared to get your teeth knocked in/stabbed/bottled etc. depending on the person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Have I made anyone feel bad or publicly humiliated them? Have I been cruel? No. I just think it's sad.

What makes verbally assaulting someone any different from physically assaulting someone? Apart from the obvious. They as bad as each other.

If you don't want a hiding (or a slagging) it's very simple - leave people alone and be a decent human being. If you're a smug git and you belittle strangers in public, you deserve what you get IMO.

Not that I've ever attacked anyone physically for being a prick. I just don't see anything wrong with a arrogant, insolent asshole with getting a massive hiding.

Well your welcome to your opinion. You're wrong but your welcome to it.

Domo230 wrote: »
    What exactly did the guy say/do?

I said "not that I've" - I'm speaking hypothetically. The reason being that I'm not the kind of person who'll slag someone I don't know in a pub or whatever. I don't like the smug, insolent type of people that do (you see it from time to time).

There's a difference between a perceived slight and being verbally and smigly assaulted by a complete stranger so he can feel good about himself. Which is really what I was getting at.

But it's totally ok for someone to be given a 'massive hiding' in response.

Seriously, proportional response, learn about it.

But it's totally ok for someone to be given a 'massive hiding' in response.

Yes. You don't want a beating, don't be a c**t. Very simple. I live by those rules and I don't insult strangers. If I did and I got a beating for it, I would wholly deserve it.

Yes. You don't want a beating, don't be a c**t. Very simple. I live by those rules and I don't insult strangers. If I did and I got a beating for it, I would wholly deserve it.

you've insulted me with your words, come here so i may beat you.

• Advertisement

The fact is if someone belittles you he is giving off the impression that he is more alpha than you
    so I have no problem if someone was to respond physically

So if someone were to approach a group of your female friends, make himself the center of attention and perhaps it work's (possibly at your expense) you would response violently? Would you "bottle" them?
    If they want to talk the talk then they got to be ready to walk the walk.

Being an "alpha male" in this day and age has nothing to do with being physically aggressive unless your an un-evolved chimp man.
    You belittle someone in front of a group of people in this city and be prepared to get your teeth knocked in/stabbed/bottled etc. depending on the person

This made me laugh.

So if someone were to approach a group of your female friends, make himself the center of attention and perhaps it work's (possibly at your expense) you would response violently?

Obviously not. But if he turns around and starts insulting you and belittling you in front of them... then it's open season. I'm not trying to sound like a hard man here. I'm merely of the impression that if you're the kind of coward that takes the piss out of people you don't know, don't be naive enough to think that you won't get slapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

The life of an ape alpha male (or whatever) is a lonely one ..... sure they get to shag their choice of the females but constantly watching their back for the next up and coming beta ..... and when they finally lose out to a beta they either crawl away and die of their wounds or die as an outcast.

It seems to me that if you're gonna manipulate evolutionary biology to "pull chicks", especially in a place like Ireland, then you'd better sack up and stop whinging on an internet message board.

So if someone were to approach a group of your female friends, make himself the center of attention and perhaps it work's (possibly at your expense) you would response violently? Would you "bottle" them?

No I personally wouldn't bottle them that wasn't my point I said the wrong person might. Personally if someone had a go at me in front of my friends I would probably give them a chance by saying something along the lines of ''Say that again and see what happens'' If they repeated I would have no problem hitting them.

Being an "alpha male" in this day and age has nothing to do with being physically aggressive unless your an un-evolved chimp man.

And belittling someone through words is? If you try impose your dominance through words expect the other person to impose their dominance through other means i.e if you call someone a loser etc. in a malcious way in front of their peers then don't be surprised if they hit you

This made me laugh.

Are you serious? Why would that make you laugh? I have personally seen people in this city being bottled for far less than belittling someone if you don't think thats the case then you clearly live a very sheltered life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

I, like most people at some time or another in their lives, have been bullied both physically and verbally. I am aware of the difference.
    i have also and i am aware of the difference, and the fact that there is not much difference at all and if you were truly bullied you would understand this. sticks and stones may break my bones but bruises heal and words stay forever. obviously this was not to that scale but as i will explain further that is irrelevant.

Obviously I do not know the full details of what occurred but my point was that you reacted violently to someone you found offensive. Having spent some time with so called "PUA's" I know well what they can be like, but you reacted with violence. I would say this shows an insecurity on your part as you cannot defend yourself with words.
    fine, if you want to be passive aggressive because i am the 'amog' you pua's loath and resent because it ruins your perfect, selfish, narcissistic fantasy view of the world which revolves around youand think it is blasphemy that he dare refuse to play a game which you initiated that he never asked for, by your rules no less, then fine.

your argument is fairly self-defeating. attacking someone 'with words' who 'cannot defend himself with words' = bullying, i hate to break this to you but it is the truth, and bullies occasionally get what's coming to them in life. if defending myself physically and punishing a bully shows insecurity then defending myself with words does too. if someone inflicts pain on me i inflict pain back and if i cannot do it in the way he did it i will do it some other way. if the only way involves having to hurt him a lot more than he hurt me then so be it, that is his fault and he should have thought about taht and the likelihood of a 'disproportionate response' before he initiated. bottom line, if you refrain from this behaviour it shouldn't be a problem so i wonder why you people have such a problem with it.

Obviously not. But if he turns around and starts insulting you and belittling you in front of them... then it's open season. I'm not trying to sound like a hard man here. I'm merely of the impression that if you're the kind of coward that takes the piss out of people you don't know, don't be naive enough to think that you won't get slapped.

Well see there's a mis-communication there, PUA's generally do not do that. As its referred to in "The Game", to "Amog" or Alpha Male Of Group someone is not taking the piss out of them(at least not directly) but rather using more subtle means like body language and asking the right questions and such. Most guys I knew did'nt even do it.

I can see where your coming from in saying that if someone come's up and starts acting the maggot towards you(in front of a group or not) but seriously, you end up looking like a far bigger man if you just don't even pay attention to it(or even laugh it off). I think the only reason people would react with violence is if their afraid the group will listen and laugh at them.

TLG wrote: »

fine, if you want to be passive aggressive because i am the 'amog' you pua's loath and resent because it ruins your perfect, selfish, narcissistic fantasy view of the world which revolves around youand think it is blasphemy that he dare refuse to play a game which you initiated that he never asked for, by your rules no less, then fine.

your argument is fairly self-defeating. attacking someone 'with words' who 'cannot defend himself with words' = bullying, i hate to break this to you but it is the truth, and bullies occasionally get what's coming to them in life. if defending myself physically and punishing a bully shows insecurity then defending myself with words does too. if someone inflicts pain on me i inflict pain back and if i cannot do it in the way he did it i will do it some other way. if the only way involves having to hurt him a lot more than he hurt me then so be it, that is his fault and he should have thought about taht and the likelihood of a 'disproportionate response' before he initiated. bottom line, if you refrain from this behaviour it shouldn't be a problem so i wonder why you people have such a problem with it.

Exactly. Play with fire expect to be burned.

Ok at the risk of derailing this thread any more I think the whole violence vs words thing should be taken to a new thread, it's really a non issue when put in the perspective of PUA's.

Ok at the risk of derailing this thread any more I think the whole violence vs words thing should be taken to a new thread, it's really a non issue when put in the perspective of PUA's.

Put it this way, if I am unable to better you through words and you are beginning to become more dominant in a group situation I will respond through all means necessary until I have regained my status if that means hitting someone for belittling me then I have no problem because I deserve to be (to use the PUA terminology) the AMOG and not some social outcast who has memorized social tatics. PUAs are simply fakes who prey on the naive and hope to god they dont get called out for it by the AMOG they so desperately want to be

Put it this way, if I am unable to better you through words and you are beginning to become more dominant in a group situation I will respond through all means necessary until I have regained my status if that means hitting someone for belittling me then I have no problem because I deserve to be (to use the PUA terminology) the AMOG and not some social outcast who has memorized social tatics. PUAs are simply fakes who prey on the naive and hope to god they dont get called out for it by the AMOG they so desperately want to be

And so zee truth is revealed. Would you back off if the guy looked like he could handle himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think maybe you and people you've met who claim to be PUA's mis-understand the subject of AMOGs. Its not something most are fond of but what it is MEANT to be is if you go over to a mixed group and start hitting it off with a girl and one of the guys starts trying to BELITTLE you whether because he secretly wants to be more than friends etc. Amoging is an effort to difuse such a situation without allowing him to make you look an idiot.

Its MEANT to be a defense not an offense. Unfortunately some people don't get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Have any of you ever actually scored?

'Look at me. I'm the alpha male'

'Hey, I'm much smarter than you and will win with words. Ha Ha!'

Just let me know where you all go on the pull.
    I'd like to go there and get the girl while you all obsess about who is better than who at scoring.

Cheers.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think maybe you and people you've met who claim to be PUA's mis-understand the subject of AMOGs. Its not something most are fond of but what it is MEANT to be is if you go over to a mixed group and start hitting it off with a girl and one of the guys starts trying to BELITTLE you whether because he secretly wants to be more than friends etc. Amoging is an effort to difuse such a situation without allowing him to make you look an idiot.

Its MEANT to be a defense not an offense. Unfortunately some people don't get that.

I never claimed to be a pick up artist just for the record:P I have no doubt my understanding of AMOGing is lacking but the people I knew in the culture certainly were who they claimed to be.

Well see there's a mis-communication there, PUA's generally do not do that. As its referred to in "The Game", to "Amog" or Alpha Male Of Group someone is not taking the piss out of them(at least not directly) but rather using more subtle means like body language and asking the right questions and such. Most guys I knew did'nt even do it.

I think there is miscommunication.

Scenario 1: A guy goes over to a mixed group, chat up a girl and scores... fair play to him.

Scenario 2: A guy goes over to a mixed group, tries to establish his 'alpha male dominance' by belittling one of the other guys there (by, say, belittling/insulting him) and he gets his ass kicked.... he deserves it.

That's all!

I think there is miscommunication.

Scenario 1: A guy goes over to a mixed group, chat up a girl and scores... fair play to him.

Scenario 2: A guy goes over to a mixed group, tries to establish his 'alpha male dominance' by belittling one of the other guys there (by, say, belittling/insulting him) and he gets his ass kicked.... he deserves it.

That's all!

Agreed and the first guy is your PUA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

right mighty ken and rugby fanatic you are completely clueless about what you are talking about to be blunt. terry is similarly clueless but iv a feeling he is just doing it for a reaction as it is after hours at the end of the day,wereas you two are really trying to argue a point

you automatically assume dominance has to do with intimidation insults and then ultimately violence. maybe in the caveman days.

ken whoever insulted you may have been trying to use the techniques in the various books but just like you he misunderstood them completely.

there is nothing in any of the books or the online community that i have seen that has ever ever refered to insulting someone else especially when it comes to as some else called it 'amog'ing in fact it has alot more to do with turning the other persons insults into water off a ducks back if its needed

i feel like im turning into the boards efficiando and walking advertisement for the game and i dont even do this **** but people talking about things they know nothing about especially in a way that could possibly stop someone from taking that step to improve themselves annoys me i suppose

edit; its worth saying aswell that 90% of people who try to do this will fail to follow it threw to its full potential usually because they find what they are looking for on the way so people who actually live it as a lifestyle are very very rare

PeakOutput wrote: »
    right mighty ken and rugby fanatic you are completely clueless about what you are talking about to be blunt. terry is similarly clueless but iv a feeling he is just doing it for a reaction as it is after hours at the end of the day,wereas you two are really trying to argue a point
    I just want to score.

Terry wrote: »
    I just want to score.

Ah Terry fatal error, coming off desperate is never good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Terry wrote: »
    I just want to score.

me too terry me too :(

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »