Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUAs in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

PeakOutput wrote: »
    right mighty ken and rugby fanatic you are completely clueless about what you are talking about to be blunt. terry is similarly clueless but iv a feeling he is just doing it for a reaction as it is after hours at the end of the day,wereas you two are really trying to argue a point

you automatically assume dominance has to do with intimidation insults and then ultimately violence. maybe in the caveman days.

ken whoever insulted you may have been trying to use the techniques in the various books but just like you he misunderstood them completely.

there is nothing in any of the books or the online community that i have seen that has ever ever refered to insulting someone else especially when it comes to as some else called it 'amog'ing in fact it has alot more to do with turning the other persons insults into water off a ducks back if its needed

i feel like im turning into the boards efficiando and walking advertisement for the game and i dont even do this **** but people talking about things they know nothing about especially in a way that could possibly stop someone from taking that step to improve themselves annoys me i suppose

edit; its worth saying aswell that 90% of people who try to do this will fail to follow it threw to its full potential usually because they find what they are looking for on the way so people who actually live it as a lifestyle are very very rare

Granted I haven't read "The Game" in about 8 years but i would argue that it is definitely not a way to better yourself. I've been through all this in previous posts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Terry wrote: »
    I've read your posts.
    Damn Mod mega powers :D

/hides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

CoachBoone wrote: »
    Granted I haven't read "The Game" in about 8 years but i would argue that it is definitely not a way to better yourself. I've been through all this in previous posts though.

the game is an autobiography not a self help book its about one persons experience(very successful experience overall) after applying the techniques he learned from the hundreds of actual books and other resources that are geared towards actually improving yourself.

also in that particular book at least one quarter of it is based on the point that this alone will not make your life perfect it is only helping one aspect of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

the game is an autobiography not a self help book its about one persons experience(very successful experience overall) after applying the techniques he learned from the hundreds of actual books and other resources that are geared towards actually improving yourself.

also in that particular book at least one quarter of it is based on the point that this alone will not make your life perfect it is only helping one aspect of it.

Yeah thats true, and tbh the only exposure I have to the world of PUA's was that book.

Again though, I dont think it is helping one aspect of it. In fact, I think it is potentially damaging it even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

maybe in the caveman days.

Okay tell me if I'm wrong ..... but this PUA stuff is about manipulating thought processes that were hardwired into women in the caveman days to make them think they're attracted to you (if even for one night).

Is it not then disingenuous to mock someone for acting like he's living in the caveman days ?

Either you're prepared to open up the Pandora's box of human nature or you're not.

You may think I'm going too deep here but I've read threads on other forums about guys stealing other guys' girlfriends, belittling other guys to impress girls, etc using this stuff. Probably worse, guys start threads asking for advice on HOW TO DO THESE THINGS. So it's obviously the intention of at least some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I think it is potentially damaging it even further.

it can definitely damage you to an extent but i only think it will do that if taken to extremes everything in moderation should be ok

anyway there are 3 generally accepted things that affect how fulfilled and happy you are these are health wealth and love if one is crap it affects the others so i dont think anyone should be discouraged from doing everything they can and exploring any avenue to improve all three. in general if you want to get wealthy you get educated, if you want to stay healthy you either get educated or ask someone who is educated about it

BUT if you want love your expected to fumble your way around guessing about things and trying to figure out the best combination of drink crappy dancing and sleazy approaches(you can say this is not what you do and you would never do something like this but go to any club in the country at the weekend and its what you see) that works for you two nights a week and GOD forbid you admit that you dont know what your doing and go looking to be educated on the subject because then im afraid you sir are sad

im going to try to stop posting on this thread but this project im doing is REALLLY borrrrring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Okay tell me if I'm wrong ..... but this PUA stuff is about manipulating thought processes that were hardwired into women in the caveman days to make them think they're attracted to you (if even for one night).

Is it not then disingenuous to mock someone for acting like he's living in the caveman days ?

Either you're prepared to open up the Pandora's box of human nature or you're not.

You may think I'm going too deep here but I've read threads on other forums about guys stealing other guys' girlfriends, belittling other guys to impress girls, etc using this stuff. Probably worse, guys start threads asking for advice on HOW TO DO THESE THINGS. So it's obviously the intention of at least some.

Obviously. SOme guys learn stuff from this and improve themselves and I'll open myself up for a slagging but I was alot more shy around women before reading some of this stuff (again if you can acquire david deangelo's cocky comedy ebook I'd suggest that's an example of the good side. Read that and you'd have a better understanding) but with anything people see a chance to abuse the opportunity and mess with people's emotions. That's unavoidable.

Woman do have a book (out long before all this stuff) called "The rules" which can be used for manipulation equally as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dubbloke

DubDrummer wrote: »
    hey there,
    I've recently got into the PUA scene, well the theory behind it anyway, and was wondering if there are any groups out there that meet regularly to test their skills.... I'd be interested in meeting up and sharing stories and techniques and putting them to the test....

talk soon
    D
    hey hows going... i read the game and im also in the pua internet community..is there anything going on in dublin ?? did ya find any pua s??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Am I the only 1 finding any fella who has to resort to this PUA thing to get laid a complete idio......wait how longs it been.Just a sec.Wheres that calender...........................****.............Wheres these PUA things again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

A_M101 wrote: »
    Myself and a friend were outside Coppers after closing one Saturday night and we were approached by a guy who through out the "Just want to ask your opinion girls, I'm out with a friend...." yadda yadda.

Ten minutes later another guy comes up and does the exact same line. Then a guy who'd been standing near-by texting comes out with another line. At this stage all three lads were in stitches and we hadn't a clue what was going on.

Then a fourth came by and I realised they were all doing the PUA thing!

Very funny.

That was me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just finised the book that day and decided to test it out. Very embarrassing and funny at the same time. Great book but doesn't work on Irish girls as much as it does on americans. Think its best to just talk about whatever comes natural now instead of using the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Interesting thread, just stumbled across it by accident. I read The Game about a year ago after a mate raved about it and I thought it was fascinating and very enlightening. I get the impression that only 4 or 5 people on here have actually read the book or anything about "The Game" in general, the rest are just pontificating from a point of ignorance.

It's not about fooling people, or using cheesy canned lines. The whole emphasis of this "movement" is self-improvement, teaching men social skills that the vast majority of men just don't have and making a person the best they can be. Women are more social creatures, while we're playing football or whatever as kids they're over playing mammy and daddy and talking talking talking. They are on another echelon when it comes to social skills. We are never really taught how to interact with women. The way most men learn is trial and error, charging in as a teenager and getting shot down. This method works for some, but obviously there's a huge amount of men too shy or whatever to do this, and this I think is where "The Game" comes in.

Strauss talks about improving his image, but also other stuff like getting voice lessons, improving his posture, doing more exercise. The "openers" are about 1% of the whole thing, and as the best in the world at it, he doesn't even bother with them anymore. They're just a way of initiating a conversation, giving a girl the chance to get to know you that she wouldn't have if you just walked up to her like everyone else and asked did she want a drink. The rest of the "steps" are just about learning about each other and making her comfortable in your presence.

All this talk of obvious cheesy lines is misleading, in the book he says people should get talking to people about something from their own lives. It makes sense, we've all been in a pub having a conversation/debate with our mates and asked someone around us for an opinion, it's a great way of starting a conversation.

The main thing I took from the book was the list of things that attract women, as stupid as it sounds, I just didn't cop some of them, I don't think men think as deeply about these things as women. How many times has a girl told you she finds a guy attractive and you've gone "seriously? I never would have thought that"
    Sorry I am just going to have to completely disagree. You can learn all the techniques in the world but at the end of the day you either have that alpha presence and respect or you don't. You walk into a club rehersing canned material and expect to be found out if not by the girl then by a guy like me I have seen some of the stuff they do/say and if they did that in front of me with a girl I would laugh them out of the club.

I can pull just fine without any of that PUA ****e and most people probably could as well. It's called having self respect and confidence.

Well...aren't you a hero! Yourself and Ken are doing your best to personify the alpha male rugger bugger stereotype aren't you!

It only came out in 2005. As for not being a way to better yourself. I guess that depends on the person. I never actively set out to use any of the stuff from the book, but I know I see the whole interaction between men and women differently since reading it. It is open to abuse from sleazy guys, but I think if you're a dickhead it's very hard to hide it (as some in this thread have shown repeatedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I have read a number of different PUA classics and have watched many videos and interviews with the master PUA's and it has given me a deeper insight into human psychology and improved my set considerably. I go out sarging with my wing man once or twice a week and we implement and try to improve on techniques such as approach invitation, the rule of three, openers, negging, social proofing and closing. Working with the Mystery Method and others has improved our success rate considerably. Matter of fact some of these techniques even work online so you don't have to be out in the field seven days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

any Irish person here shouldn't have a bother with picking up women it just seems people always go for the wrong girl... im not saying that the fat semi bald call sales guy should be going after katie french i mean, chat to most of the girls, see what the crack is like then make your move... dont stick to the one !!

jasus i can gets girls so how can the rest of irelands single men not ???

though i know some people may find this a weakness...

my people relations are ropey at t he best of times but i put the first foot forward and use the strenghts in my personality to get my family jewels polished.

and i thin PUA's suck, they only work in certin area's ( i.e Bars... bus stops, shops... Bar's again )

where as you never know when the oppertuinity will arrive...

all i can say is when it comes: clean your head, say the first thing that comes to your head, pray it goes alright... girls can smell bs a mile away :rolleyes:

/end_mini_lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I like the fact that this thread has been resurrected in the run up to valentines. :cool:

S.I.R wrote: »
    any Irish person here shouldn't have a bother with picking up women it just seems people always go for the wrong girl... im not saying that the fat semi bald call sales guy should be going after katie french i mean, chat to most of the girls, see what the crack is like then make your move... dont stick to the one !!

jasus i can gets girls so how can the rest of irelands single men not ???

though i know some people may find this a weakness...

my people relations are ropey at t he best of times but i put the first foot forward and use the strenghts in my personality to get my family jewels polished.

and i thin PUA's suck, they only work in certin area's ( i.e Bars... bus stops, shops... Bar's again )

where as you never know when the oppertuinity will arrive...

all i can say is when it comes: clean your head, say the first thing that comes to your head, pray it goes alright... girls can smell bs a mile away :rolleyes:

/end_mini_lecture

The point about the stuff you learn from Mystery and the others is that you CAN pull anywhere. Too much of Irish dating lore revolves around the pub & night club. This sort of stuff helps you to get out of those places and get women anywhere... although nightclubs are generally too noisy.

For myself, i've been into this for years. Mostly from a NLP point of view. I've read Mystery, & David DeAngelo. Pretty rubbish IMO. They're both from the days of the Seduction.Alt.fast groups, and lean too much towards degrading women and stupid pick up lines... Not my sort of thing.

I've been to three seminars for Ross Jeffries, and have a number of his products. This guy is much much better than his competition, and his stuff actually works. On a personal level, he's also the best for self-confidence levels, since he focuses more on psychology than bull****ting people.

I must admit i haven't used any of the techniques for years. I just don't need them anymore. Its now just the case of having confidence in myself. But I know that RJ's teachings are there in the back of my head all the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

If it was a load of hooey it wouldn't be as widely regarded, discussed. PUA psychology/theory is a tool to knock self-obsessed (albeit hot) bitches off their pedestals, and into your bed. It comes naturally to some people, but the guys in the PUA scene take it to scientific extremes, and it works.

I flirted with it (/everyone) for a few months before my current long term relationship and had the best year of my single life. It's not so much a "manual" for talking to girls, rather undoing the bitchy shield that most hot girls put up through self-obsession. Google the "Mystery method". I admittedly never went on PUA missions with hoards of artists, rather just casually applied the teachings to the good lookin girls I came in contact with in my everyday life/nights out/parties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

dSTAR wrote: »
    I have read a number of different PUA classics and have watched many videos and interviews with the master PUA's and it has given me a deeper insight into human psychology and improved my set considerably. I go out sarging with my wing man once or twice a week and we implement and try to improve on techniques such as approach invitation, the rule of three, openers, negging, social proofing and closing. Working with the Mystery Method and others has improved our success rate considerably. Matter of fact some of these techniques even work online so you don't have to be out in the field seven days a week.

What in Gods name are you on about? Please tell me this was a pi$$take on "PUA", rather than a serious response.

"Master PUA's", "Sarging" "Mystery Method", "Out in the Field"

FFS whatever happened to just conversing normally with a fellow human being. When did all this psychobabble BS come into it.

Noopti wrote: »
    What in Gods name are you on about? Please tell me this was a pi$$take on "PUA", rather than a serious response.

FFS whatever happened to just conversing normally with a fellow human being. When did all this psychobabble BS come into it.

Since women in clubs turned in to unapproachable bitches who are more concerned with materialism/self-gratification, than men.

consultech wrote: »
    Since women in clubs turned in to unapproachable bitches who are more concerned with materialism/self-gratification, than men.

Well then I would rather take my chances on finding one of the more down to earth, non-materialistic women out there by just being normal.

If I encounter one of said bitches, I would rather not "break her down" so that she is more amiable. I would rather just leave her to her own devices and continue looking for a normal woman.

Well then I would rather take my chances on finding one of the more down to earth, non-materialistic women out there by just being normal.

If I encounter one of said bitches, I would rather not "break her down" so that she is more amiable. I would rather just leave her to her own devices and continue looking for a normal woman.

Ah. Ok. You think these lads are goin out on the lash on a Saturday looking for a relationship... makes sense now. You sound like a real "nice" guy. Play on Kling-on warrior.

• Advertisement

Ah. Ok. You think these lads are goin out on the lash on a Saturday looking for a relationship... makes sense now. You sound like a real "nice" guy. Play on Kling-on warrior.

Nah, I don't think they are going out looking for a relationship. Just going out thinking they are "men" by using some nutjobs handbook for bedding a woman.

Yep, I think I am a "nice" guy, but maybe explain the quotation marks?
    Anyway it doesn't bother me, I have a gorgeous fiancee who I will be marrying next year and am perfectly happy.

I just think people these days have lost the simple knack of communicating with eachother, instinctively reading body signs etc. Afterall it is something humans have been doing for millenia to find mates.
    Why the sudden need for a handbook? No, it is not because women have changed. It is because men have become insecure cowards who can't be arsed actually trying to use their own instincts and self-confidence to find a "mate", but instead rely on the teachings of other similarly minded losers.

I blame Bebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

If it was a load of hooey it wouldn't be as widely regarded, discussed. PUA psychology/theory is a tool to knock self-obsessed (albeit hot) bitches off their pedestals, and into your bed. It comes naturally to some people, but the guys in the PUA scene take it to scientific extremes, and it works.

Nothing like being called a bitch to put shields up.

Nothing like being called a materialistic, self gratifying, self-obsessed bitch to put you off being hit on by a possible social misfit with no social skills, no genuine conversations skills, nothing of interest worth saying that he hasn't learned off, no self confidence (hence the need for a ''wingman''), and a purely sexual agenda.

Yeah, women are shallow and judgemental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If it was a load of hooey it wouldn't be as widely regarded, discussed.

You could say the same thing about organised religion and that's a load of crap.

why are you in this thread? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've looked at some of the stuff as more and more it comes up and more and more "I can't find a woman" stuff comes up in PI. I must say that's the most interesting thing about it from my point of view. It's a very large scale constantly updated and evolved psych experiment. It's probably got more validity within it's limits than a helluva lot of studies into human psychology. I would agree with some of it's broader points, though I think too often it's too blunt an instrument.

Noopti wrote:
    I agree, but I think for many many men and I've seen this a lot in the last 10 years or so, they're not very good at it. I would blame some of the social changes that have occurred in the last few decades specifically with regard to the male female dynamic. Not so long ago, the only women a man would have in his life were either family or lover/wife. That was it. having women friends would be unusual. Indeed maybe even frowned upon. Men now have far more access to women in daily life. Far more interaction, but ironically I think this has been a disadvantage in many ways to many men. They're used to talking to women as mates and have forgotten how to talk to them as potential lovers and forgotten how to talk to them as men. Women also have more freedom to choose nowadays and rightfully and thankfully so, but this has left many of both sexes adrift. Ironically we may have gone back to more primitive competitive times with so much choice and many people are not as comfortable with so many choices as they think they are. IME I've noted that people will rabbit on about liking choice in so many areas of life, bt are actually happier when they are given boundaries.

IMHO most men and women get lucky once or twice and settle down with one, who may not be the right one for them(very common). They talk about fate etc which convinces themselves that it's the right choice. Fate my eye. If it was fate, then the first person you meet you would be perfect for you and you would be with the rest of your life. That's very rare. They may not maximise their chances of getting the right man or woman for them, because they've never learned to, because they've never learned who the right person inside themselves is, so any choices on the back of that are often arseways. Or they take what they can get and are happy with that even though it may not be healthy for them, because they don't know how to improve themselves and the choices they make and are frankly afriad of being alone. There are quite a few people reading this that feel their relationship is OK, but also feel there's something not quite right too. The missing piece lies within them.

Do I think this PUA lark is the right option? Not from what I've browsed anyway. Of course I haven't looked deep enough so maybe I'm missing some of the finer points. I do think men need direction at times. I think men need direction to figure out themselves at times too. Maybe this obvious learn by rote stuff is the stepping stone to that. It may simply get rid of the fear of trying. Success breeds success. Of course getting a woman is one thing. It's actually more of a doddle than many think. Quite easy really. Half the people in the world are women so on the numbers alone... We all come from a long line of people that hooked up and this stuff in one form or another has been around forever(with the recent dynamics change thrown in). Getting the right woman is harder of course. You need to get yourself right first. Even then it can be difficult, because she has to have her head together too. the hardest thing of all is not getting a woman, not even getting the right woman, it's keeping that woman and her keeping you and growing together healthily for as long as it lasts. I know far more men who can get a woman, than men who can keep a woman and grow the relationship to mutual benefit. I'd rather be a keep up artist than a pick up artist.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The misogyny rampant in this PUA stuff is hilarious.

'Yeah I can't talk to or socially interact with a woman under normal circumstances so why don't I use an aggressive psychological technique to try and knock that stuck-up bitch off her pedestal, she'll be crawling to me on her hands and knees before the night is over!!'

Retards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree it is rampant in a lot of it. That said it does point out that what women say they want and men think they want and what they actually respond to can be very different. I would agree with that in many ways and for the most part. Both men and women do this BTW. Look at how many women you hear say things like "he missed my signals all night, he just didn't like me"? Common enough, because what he sees as a signal is different to how a woman would. A room of women can spot another woman giving come hither signals to a guy. A helluva lot if not most men won't. She is assuming that because she will see these as obvious, that he will too. People do this all the time i loads of ways. they assume what would work on them will work on others. Men do this too. They assume that certain things work and are attractive to women, because they would work and are attractive to them. So you see men bribing women with favours, being really obvious or trying to be their mates, because of a woman did that with a man, he'll likely respond.

IMHO and obviously in general, men and women while wanting the same basic things from each other have very different ways of getting those things. What women look for in men, is also different to what men look for in a woman. Obviously beyond the obvious stuff. We're talking the subtleties here.

What do women want(deeeep breath:D)? They want a man. They want an emotionally secure and emotionally consistent man. They want a confident and emotionally independent man. They want a man who will fight for and defend his position, because she feels secure he'll do the same for her. They want a man other men look up to and other women find attractive. They want a man to be in control of his environment and will set boundaries in that environment. They even want that control to extend to them sometimes. Controversial? perhaps, but IMHO, a man who says yes all the time, will soon have a woman(if he even gets one) saying no more of the time. Respecting a man for being who he needs to be is very very attractive to most women and they feel freer to be themselves around him, both inside and outside the bedroom. They want a man who is exciting and not boring. A man that challenges them emotionally, without being abusive or weak about it. They want a man to compliment their worldview and a man who understands them, in a different way to how another woman would. They have other women for that(men make this mistake a lot. Friendzone types and "nice guys". They want a man who respects and wants their need to grow and to help them do it. Women more than men feed off the feelings and emotional state of others. If you're not relatively secure and together, she'll feel insecure around you and sooner or later it'll be game over.

If you pull off 80% of the above you'll not needing to worry about female company for long. All of the above is fúck all to do with "picking women up". That's external. All of the above is internal to you as a man. Pick yourself up and the rest will follow as well as the rest of life for that matter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wow, a guy using "techniques" to chat up a girl - could there be anything more unattractive? Let's see... nope.

Regardless of the growing exposure this scene has received in the last 3/4 years; Any PUA's reading this thread will probably take a lot of heart in the apparent complete ignorance as to its existance/prevalence.

However somehow I don't anticipate too many (female) boardsies would have extensive first-hand experience of being approached by PUA's at the bar in Krystle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dudess wrote: »
    Wow, a guy using "techniques" to chat up a girl - could there be anything more unattractive? Let's see... nope.
    It's only attractive if it's been learned subconsciously?

You'd be opposed to any kind of conscious effort to change one's behaviour in order to improve the quality of one's life?

Rote learning and relying on "routines" is sad. A conscious review of one's behaviour coupled with some insight into how attraction works in order to appear more attractive to the opposite sex, is not.

I like a lot of the insight there is to be gained from reading The Game and other PUA stuff. On the surface it can sound really sad, but I think negative opinions on all aspectsof it can only come from someone who hasn't read The Game or anything about what PUA is in any kind of detail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement