Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows xp

• 25-08-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭

any shops or online store have a good price on xp

cant stand vista anymore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

If it's a Dell PC just use a Dell Windows XP Restore CD, cost €0. Otherwise: http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=54SS&CategorySelectedId=11168&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11168

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,458 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oracle wrote: »
    If it's a Dell PC just use a Windows XP Restore CD, cost €0. Otherwise: http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=54SS&CategorySelectedId=11168&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11168

but it came with vista so i cant

should i be looking for the 32 bit or 64 bit

not to sure

It doesn't matter what the machine came with, the Dell Windows XP Restore CD will install XP on the blank hard drive anyway. Look up your service tag on the Dell site to check if your PC OS is 32 or 64 bit. The 32-bit XP Restore CD will work anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Vista business and ultimate allow you to legally downgrade to windows xp professional.

Just use the same product key.

Needless to say you should really be thinking about trying Ubuntu. It's far better than XP, it updates automatically and there's a new release every 6 months, all for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

Needless to say you should really be thinking about trying Ubuntu. It's far better than XP, it updates automatically and there's a new release every 6 months, all for free.

Tried Ubuntu a few months back on my laptop, dual boot but couldn't get the network drivers to work, whats the new release like these days, are the wireless drivers more up todate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

If you have XP on your system you can upgrade to XP Pro. And as said previously you can buy new Dells with XP Pro.
    Pauly26 wrote: »
    Tried Ubuntu a few months back on my laptop, dual boot but couldn't get the network drivers to work, whats the new release like these days, are the wireless drivers more up todate?

I'm not going near Vista I also gave Ubuntu a shot. Minor issues to iron out but its a very nice OS.

Pauly26 wrote: »

Wireless works fine for me "out of the box" on Dell Inspiron with the latest Ubuntu. There was a resolution problem on the Inspiron 1720/1721's (17" screen) that required a small manual config change. That's also been fixed, I get the native 1440x900 resolution automatically now.

It doesn't matter what the machine came with, the Dell Windows XP Restore CD will install XP on the blank hard drive anyway. Look up your service tag on the Dell site to check if your PC OS is 32 or 64 bit. The 32-bit XP Restore CD will work anyway.

iv been looking through my disks i got with my laptop

no windows xp restore cd only vista cd

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

iv been looking through my disks i got with my laptop

no windows xp restore cd only vista cd
    You can use that cd key to install windows xp.

EDIT: if it is vista business or ultimate.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You can use that cd key to install windows xp.

oh thats great

just one more thing

iv been looking at microsoft website to download xp but im not sure which one to download

a link would be handy please

Advertisement