Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wont start

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im pretty much a novice when it comes to cars, so please excuse my ignorance.

I drive an 02 Fiat Punto which has trouble starting. It starts most of the time but not always.

The problem started about 2 months ago where it would randomly not start, averaging about once every 3 weeks. I brought it to a garage and they said they ran it through the machines and could find anything wrong.

But it wudnt start twice during last week, and this morning it wouldnt start at all.

I came up with a couple of theorys why it wouldnt work but all have been disproven:
    Overheating, but it wouldnt start this morning when it was cold
    Low petrol tank, wouldnt start more regularly when the petrol tank was low, but it has a full tank at the mo and wouldn't start this morning.

I dont think it has anything to do with the battery cos i can play the radio, turn lights on and off etc.

Could it be someting like dirty petrol?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does it turn over? If so does it try to start but cut out our just keep turning over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

kbannon wrote: »
    Does it turn over? If so does it try to start but cut out our just keep turning over?

Ya it turns over and the car shakes like mad. It doesnt cut out while its turns over

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Misfiring plugs?
    Coil packs need replacing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hazys wrote: »
    Ya it turns over and the car shakes like mad.
    That sounds like some sort of ignition problem; it's getting sparks while the starter is engaged, but not when the starter isn't.
    Or possibly a fuel pump that's only running when the starter's working.
    It could be a simple wiring fault, or a host of ECU/coil/distributor issues.
    Very hard to diagnose this sort of thing over teh internets, probably best to have an auto electrician/good mechanic have a look.

Rovi wrote: »
    That sounds like some sort of ignition problem; it's getting sparks while the starter is engaged, but not when the starter isn't.
    Or possibly a fuel pump that's only running when the starter's working.
    It could be a simple wiring fault, or a host of ECU/coil/distributor issues.
    Very hard to diagnose this sort of thing over teh internets, probably best to have an auto electrician/good mechanic have a look.

The only thing is I brought it to a garage already and they ran it through the machines and couldn't find a fault.

The local Fiat garage is booked up till next week. Would there be any type of garage that would specialize in this or anything? Im in Galway if any would could recommend a garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

biko wrote: »
    Misfiring plugs?

Sounds right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The only thing is I brought it to a garage already and they ran it through the machines and couldn't find a fault.

The local Fiat garage is booked up till next week. Would there be any type of garage that would specialize in this or anything? Im in Galway if any would could recommend a garage.
    Intermittent faults (as this was) can be a right bugger to sort out, as they tend to disappear when you're trying to demonstrate them.
    It's much easier when stuff breaks and stays broken. :D
    Your problem now appears to have become 'permanent', and thus should be somewhat simpler to trace and rectify.

I'm afraid I'm too far from Galway to make a recommendation on a garage/mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

was it raining this morning?? :D

its what happened to a friend of mine - thought it was an immobilizer problem - turned out that the car would not start on wet days because moisture was getting into the distributor cap.
    but i don't think you have one of these though ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

biko wrote: »
    Misfiring plugs?

I would definitely go with this option first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sparkplugs
    Rotar Arm/Dizzy cap (If has one)
    Coil Pack
    Fuel Filter

Thats what I would look into.

If you or someone you know has a fault code reader you may be able to plug it in and it will tell you what cylinder mis firing etc. Got one off Argos for 60 euro, handy out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out to be a cracked coil cable. Almost impossible to spot. Try wiggling the coil cable and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the help lads.

Im thinking of bringing it to Advance Pitstop, because its location is ideal.

Anybody have any dealings with them?

Thanks for the help lads.

Im thinking of bringing it to Advance Pitstop, because its location is ideal.

Anybody have any dealings with them?
    Havn't really dealt with them but had to get an exhaust once and it was costly.

I would go with a local mechanic if available. If they can't find the problem quickly then it could be something like the crankshaft position sensor or something more complicated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Where in Galway are you located?

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Where in Galway are you located?

Working in Ballybrit but living on the Headford Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I will send on the details of the guy I use just as soon as I find them so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hagar wrote: »
    I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out to be a cracked coil cable. Almost impossible to spot. Try wiggling the coil cable and see if it makes any difference.
    These contain very high voltages so wriggle them with a well insulated tool or when the ignition is off!
    If you are not sure then don't do it!

kbannon wrote:
    These contain very high voltages so wriggle them with a well insulated tool or when the ignition is off!
    If you are not sure then don't do it!
    +1 - was about to reply with this same thing myself. You would get a nasty burn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I thought it was so obvious that I didn't mention it.:o

Advertisement