Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit and veg in Galway

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello all

Can anyone recommend where is the best place to get the best value fruit and veg in Galway?

Also can anyone recommend a good shop for Asian foodstuffs?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The market on Saturday.
    Or your one across La Salsa on Mary Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Terryland fruit and veg.

But some of their prices are so cheap i'm wary of where the stuff has actually come from!!!

Best quality in the supermarkets is deffo Tesco and M&S, though you do pay for it!! Dunnes fruit and veg is a disgrace and Joyces can be hit and miss(mostly miss 2bh!!)

I find Lidl and Aldi stuff goes off exceptionally quickly.

Good value to be had down the market on Saturday, esp the organic stuff, much cheaper than anywhere else.

Oh, and the little place on Mary st opp the Home plate always has nice stuff, but again prices aren't that cheap; but reasonable value for what you're getting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

wouldnt the quicker it goes off signify the fresher it is, less pesticides and preservatives sprayed on them? buy a little and often then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Terryland fruit and veg is very good value and fresh. It's very popular with native galwegians (very rare breed). Also the cheapest place I found for eggs.

Ernie's on Sea Road has some deals from time to time. Keep your money local!

wouldnt the quicker it goes off signify the fresher it is, less pesticides and preservatives sprayed on them? buy a little and often then

No, it just signifies that its old 2nd rate ****e tbh.

All of the veg in the supermarkets bar organic has been sprayed etc and in a lot of cases are months old by the time they hit the supermarket shelves.

Veg in Tesco is fresher as they get it from a good supplier.

Dunnes stuff is ****e as they're supplier isn't great, same with Aldi and Lidl.

I bought a net of grapefruits in Lidl last week and by the end of next day they had all shrivelled up and gone soft. Sorry, but thats just ridiculous, pesticides or no pesticides, a grapefruit shouldn't do that.

Yes, Ernies is good for fruit and veg also!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

what's the name of the place next to Tescos entrance on the Headford Rd? Is that the 'Terryland Fruit & Veg' that's been mentioned? I've always passed by it on the way into Tesco but never really checked to see if it was cheaper. I'd rather give my money to independent sellers, but not if it costs more:o

No, Terryland fruit and veg is beside easy living in the terryland retail park.

That little place near tescos isn't outstanding value, nice spuds tho;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

Thanks all for suggestions.

Just been down to Terryland fruit. Good selection of fruit and veg and quite reasonable. It all seems to be good quality but will wait and see if it passes the taste test. And yes, cheap eggs - 1.29 for 6.

Having said that, have been abroad for a few years and a bit shocked with food prices in general in Ireland.

Dockfive wrote: »
    have been abroad for a few years and a bit shocked with food prices in general in Ireland.

Yes, they generally are quite shocking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

All of the veg in the supermarkets bar organic has been sprayed etc and in a lot of cases are months old by the time they hit the supermarket shelves.!

Weeks not months, they are picked before they ripen.Just a few of the smaller stall in the market are organic or local grown ,the big stand down near Geraghtys is the same as supermarket produce.

• Advertisement

I believe its months for some fruits, especially apples.
    Veg, they cant really pick months in advance as they would go to seed, well some would anyway.

Yes, most fruit/veg is picked before it is ripe, frozen, and then sprayed with ethene to ripen it prior to delivery. Lovely things they do to food nowadays:rolleyes:

Theres a lovely organic stall near the crepe van in the market, their stuff is lovely and quite reasonable(for organic stuff);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dockfive wrote: »
    Thanks all for suggestions.
    Just been down to Terryland fruit. Good selection of fruit and veg and quite reasonable. It all seems to be good quality but will wait and see if it passes the taste test. And yes, cheap eggs - 1.29 for 6.

If you go for the non-free range supply, it'll be 0.79 for 6 eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Any ideas what the eggs cost at the saturday market? (Thats slightly on topic isn't it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Place down in sea road - great fish too - nice honest folk will tell ya weather or not strawberrys etc are nice. Give free samples to regular customers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I'd say Tesco.. I paid €0,89 for tomatoes last week.. but they weren't too tasty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

Ya terryland F&V is good. Their dates are lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

paddy316i wrote: »
    Ya terryland F&V is good. Their dates are lovely!

If you love your dates like myself the ones at the organic stall in the Market can be unreal at times, ive be known to buy 10-15 euros worth.Otherwise Tesco do dates 9 in a pk expensive but bloody nice.My mate just brought me back a Kilo from the best date shop in the middle east, can't wait to get my chops around them later.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

There is a great range of fruit and veg including organic produce at the market in Oranmore on a Thursday. Have been going there for the last couple of weeks and the taste difference is unreal. A lot of traders are the ones that go to the market in town on Saturdays. Great range of bakery stuff too:)

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    There is a great range of fruit and veg including organic produce at the market in Oranmore on a Thursday. Have been going there for the last couple of weeks and the taste difference is unreal. A lot of traders are the ones that go to the market in town on Saturdays. Great range of bakery stuff too:)

Cheers for the advice Dave. What time is it on at and whereabouts is it in Oranmore, I might head out tomorrow.

Also is it very expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Aldi sell good quality fresh fruit and veg for substansially cheaper than you'll get in other supermarkets.Their frozen fruit in particular is excellent value and is brilliant for smoothies etc.
    Tesco will rob you blind. You might save on one item but you'll pay through the nose on several others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭pokerkingsni

There's a fella delivers fresh fruit and veg to our door every week. Fresh being the most important word:).

If you want his details or anythin PM me sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Hey Dockfive, not sure if its around mid day until 6pm. Typical male dip****, not really sure about how the prices compere but while I'm not willing/able to throw money around I think its worth the bit extra for the great taste of the food. The market is just behind the astro turf pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

I'm quite partial to the f&v shop in westside next to aldi. Lovely stuff. Not too pricey. V fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

Back to the dates - the ones that Julian & Varde (Graves)???? sell in a pack are very nice. €2 I think for a big bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

totally agree with the above poster, lovely local people at ernies and on some days u may even get served by ernies brother chick, the only man in galway to have a european cup winners medal, won it with aston villa 1982.
    equivilent of todays champions league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

never ever try and buy veg in dunnes edward square on a monday! they have none! it's impossible to try and get an onion that isnt soft or rotting in the place. the place on mary street is handy for city centre residents, think it's called mary's, been there for 20 years or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

There were some box programs listed on sustainable.ie, but tbh I haven't tried any of em personally. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

Best tasting fresh F&V - Market in Galway on Saturday mornings

Good Value and fresh(ish) - Terryland F&V

Cheap & not long lasting - Aldi & Lidl

Unless your only buying apples stay away from everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

i havent joined yet but theres a new crowd called 'green earth organics' who deliver a box of organic fruit and/or veg to your door every week. prices range from 10-20eur per box depending on the size you order and you are invoiced once a month.

• Advertisement

Just want to belatedly say thanks to all who replied to my original query. The Saturday market is great for fresh fruit and veg and love the atmosphere (plus the coffee and falafels are great soul food).

Also Terryland Fruit and Veg is great value and they have really good deals on fruit and yes, the dates are fantastic - they rarely survive the drive home.

Thanks again to all.

Advertisement