Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

93 SKYLINE MODS....any suggestions????

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

just bought a 93 skyline and i need to know what's the first step to modification for a car as such...

oh and id like if possible an explanation for each mod suggestion cuz i know nothing bout modifications, just getting into aftermarket and sport mods etc...

HELP PLEASE@!!!!!@!$$!#!$!#$#%!#$!#lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Nice set of new light weight alloys, the weight makes a huge difference.

Hard to suggest mods without know more about the car though. Also join a skyline owners club for more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

• An alarm: Lots of cars are disappearing at the moment.
    • Learn to use of proper English (helps get better responses on most forums, im not being a smart ass, its a fact)
    • Then join an owners club and learn how to maintain the car.
    • The Modifications will follow.

From your post i dont know what skyline engine you have and your post only got a handfull of responses due to this. Text speak hasnt helped either.

Mabe post back with the details of the car. Engine: Rbxxx, Milage, Condition and history, Oil your running, Any existing modifications, Also the exact model.

Someone on here may be able to help but the owners club is always the best bet. They will have been there done that and probably bought a t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

havocxotic wrote: »
    just bought a 93 skyline and i need to know what's the first step to modification for a car as such...

oh and id like if possible an explanation for each mod suggestion cuz i know nothing bout modifications, just getting into aftermarket and sport mods etc...

first step get yourself onto www.skylineowners.com
    all the info youll ever need is in the heads of those guys ;)

anyway 93 skyline its 1 of 3 cars, an r32 gtst r32 gtr or more than likely an R33 GTS-T, tuning steps, fuel pump is a must before you go doing anything else, induction kit (apexi power intake) then decat and cat-back system, if your going to go tuning much more you might as well get yourself a mappable ECU (power fc is the preferred choice, also try greddy emanage), then you go for turbo elbow and downpipe thatll see your exhaust seen too. boost controller to rid the car of 2 stage boost and run on 0.8 all the time (dont turn it up higher on a standard turbo) and get your self a front mount intercooler. then get it mapped. when you have all this done then its big money really apart froma Z32 AFM and injectors but youll see over 300bhp without upgrading those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

best thing a fella like you can do is, the bolt on cold air intake with the mushroom filter, light alloys, performance brake pads then go about making the car lighter without wreaking the weight distrabution ( i.e light seats and body panels... )

skylines are naturally heavy but with alot of poke to back it up...

then when your happy with them you can go onto pushing the engine a bit more, just be careful.... skylines hate hotness.... though the ecu upon re-programming can bring out a quite a bit more power if you get a good guy to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 havocxotic

first step get yourself onto www.skylineowners.com
    all the info youll ever need is in the heads of those guys ;)

anyway 93 skyline its 1 of 3 cars, an r32 gtst r32 gtr or more than likely an R33 GTS-T, tuning steps, fuel pump is a must before you go doing anything else, induction kit (apexi power intake) then decat and cat-back system, if your going to go tuning much more you might as well get yourself a mappable ECU (power fc is the preferred choice, also try greddy emanage), then you go for turbo elbow and downpipe thatll see your exhaust seen too. boost controller to rid the car of 2 stage boost and run on 0.8 all the time (dont turn it up higher on a standard turbo) and get your self a front mount intercooler. then get it mapped. when you have all this done then its big money really apart froma Z32 AFM and injectors but youll see over 300bhp without upgrading those.
    TO
    thanx most efficient tip yet... thanx to you other guys too but TOTALLY HONEST i don't know what none of this stuff means... you all know any sites where i could get like mods and definitions for dummies...i know you all got more important things to do but just a few website suggestions for what i want to know, which is EVERYTHING and anything about tuners ...and in your opinions is a skyline a good choice for a noob? because i got it through luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

came across this may be a start havnt read it yeat but chapterlist looks ok .

http://daciaclub.tehnoplus.net/DaciaClub/ToateModelele/Tuningul%20pentru%20TOnTI%20(Car%20Hacks%20&%20Mods,%20eBook,%20engleza).pdf

Theres no shortcuts you need to read everything yu possibly can. Get on the skyline owners club forum. Find the project section. Then make a cup of tea and keep reading.

Then move to the techical section and do the same. Give it a few months of just reading and you should have most of the answers.Then start slowly. Everyone had to start somewhere. Best of luck.

came across this may be a start havnt read it yeat but chapterlist looks ok .

http://daciaclub.tehnoplus.net/DaciaClub/ToateModelele/Tuningul%20pentru%20TOnTI%20(Car%20Hacks%20&%20Mods,%20eBook,%20engleza).pdf

Theres no shortcuts you need to read everything yu possibly can. Get on the skyline owners club forum. Find the project section. Then make a cup of tea and keep reading.

Then move to the techical section and do the same. Give it a few months of just reading and you should have most of the answers.Then start slowly. Everyone had to start somewhere. Best of luck.

exactly, theres plenty of info on the like i previously posted in teh tech sections and in the ptojects section, dont be afraid to ask questions either. link to my project on www.skylineowners.com is below.

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80893

its free to register and great bunch of lads, its mainly based in the uk but we have be given an irish section on it too, and i an the east ireland rep, there are more scattered aroung the country too. no question goes unanswered unledd its been asked everyday for a year, then thats where the search button comes in. dont forget to say hi when you join ;)

also have a look on www.nengun.com, its an online parts shop but the details on the parts you'd be buying tell you what each part does and why it was developed ;) you put in your deatils as in what car and what year and then select what part of the car your looking to modify, it brings back all the parts available for that car and area. worth a look, but could be a little daunting till you know what your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

I'll assume you either have an R32 GTS-T with an RB20DET or an R33 with an RB25DET. If it's a non-turbo model you have then there isn't much point in tuning it. There is no way it's going to be worth the money spent on it.

If you do have a turbo model (I'll assume R32) then you would have 212bhp on 102 ron petrol as they have in japan. However, here we have 95ron or 99ron for maxol E5. When using 95ron the engine is going to detonate. This is when the air/fuel mixture explodes before the spark gets to ignite it. When you accelerate hard you will see detonation around 5,000rpm. You can feel the power dropping and it will struggle to rev higher. However, it is fairly easy so solve this problem. By knocking back the ignition timing from 22° advanced to 15° the mixture will combust with the spark as it should. Any competent mechanic could do this with a timing gun and a 10mm spanner. This also applies for the R33 RD25DET engine.

Every skyline I've seen has had an aftermarket exhaust system. Mine had a 5zeigen full system including a decat. As mine was 1992 (pre 1993) I didn't need the cat to pass the NCT. There was an induction kit on mine also, but I changed the pipework to allow the filter access to more cold air. With these mods mine made 260bhp and 237ft/lbs.

If you want to go for more power then you will need a few things.
    Firstly you will need to raise the boost pressure. Unfortunately these turbos have ceramic blades that can't withstand high boost. Thus, you will need an uprated turbo. Now you can raise the boost above the 0.7bar. However, with the new turbo running at a higher boost pressure the incoming air is going to get very hot. The standard intercooler (undeneath the passenger side headlight) wont be able to cool the air enough so you will to get a front mount intercooler. This will be much larger than standard and visible in front of the radiator under the central number plate.
    The air flow meter will not be able to accurately measure the amount of incoming air as the boost is higher so you will need one that can measure more air. A Z32 afm as standard on the Nissan 300ZX turbo model is ideal.

Your fuel pump (in the petrol tank) wont be able to pump enough fuel to supply the engine now so you will need a more powerful pump. Most people go for a Walbro model. Next you will need bigger fuel injectors, ones from a GTR (RB26DETT) will be ideal and probably the cheapest.

Lastly is the mapping. You will need to get the car set up on a rolling road or dynapak to get the fuelling, boost, etc right. It is possible (only lately) to map the standard skyline ecu. Most people prefer to buy a new ecu (eg power fc as mentioned above) and get that mapped.

With all the above mods in place you should see around 350bhp.
    This may seem too much for the drivetrain but the clutch, gearbox and differential will be fine at this power. Then engine block can handle 400bhp without having to upgrade the internals!
    S.I.R wrote: »
    skylines are naturally heavy but with alot of poke to back it up...
    An R32 GTS-T coupe weighs 1260kg, my sedan weighed 1300kg. That's far from heavy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I'll assume you either have an R32 GTS-T with an RB20DET or an R33 with an RB25DET. If it's a non-turbo model you have then there isn't much point in tuning it. There is no way it's going to be worth the money spent on it.

If you do have a turbo model (I'll assume R32) then you would have 212bhp on 102 ron petrol as they have in japan. However, here we have 95ron or 99ron for maxol E5. When using 95ron the engine is going to detonate. This is when the air/fuel mixture explodes before the spark gets to ignite it. When you accelerate hard you will see detonation around 5,000rpm. You can feel the power dropping and it will struggle to rev higher. However, it is fairly easy so solve this problem. By knocking back the ignition timing from 22° advanced to 15° the mixture will combust with the spark as it should. Any competent mechanic could do this with a timing gun and a 10mm spanner. This also applies for the R33 RD25DET engine.

Every skyline I've seen has had an aftermarket exhaust system. Mine had a 5zeigen full system including a decat. As mine was 1992 (pre 1993) I didn't need the cat to pass the NCT. There was an induction kit on mine also, but I changed the pipework to allow the filter access to more cold air. With these mods mine made 260bhp and 237ft/lbs.

If you want to go for more power then you will need a few things.
    Firstly you will need to raise the boost pressure. Unfortunately these turbos have ceramic blades that can't withstand high boost. Thus, you will need an uprated turbo. Now you can raise the boost above the 0.7bar. However, with the new turbo running at a higher boost pressure the incoming air is going to get very hot. The standard intercooler (undeneath the passenger side headlight) wont be able to cool the air enough so you will to get a front mount intercooler. This will be much larger than standard and visible in front of the radiator under the central number plate.
    The air flow meter will not be able to accurately measure the amount of incoming air as the boost is higher so you will need one that can measure more air. A Z32 afm as standard on the Nissan 300ZX turbo model is ideal.

Your fuel pump (in the petrol tank) wont be able to pump enough fuel to supply the engine now so you will need a more powerful pump. Most people go for a Walbro model. Next you will need bigger fuel injectors, ones from a GTR (RB26DETT) will be ideal and probably the cheapest.

Lastly is the mapping. You will need to get the car set up on a rolling road or dynapak to get the fuelling, boost, etc right. It is possible (only lately) to map the standard skyline ecu. Most people prefer to buy a new ecu (eg power fc as mentioned above) and get that mapped.

With all the above mods in place you should see around 350bhp.
    This may seem too much for the drivetrain but the clutch, gearbox and differential will be fine at this power. Then engine block can handle 400bhp without having to upgrade the internals!

An R32 GTS-T coupe weighs 1260kg, my sedan weighed 1300kg. That's far from heavy :D

my sunny was weighted at 1330kg before she was cut up into a million and one pieces...

and thats a dinky 1.6 4 door sedan :pac:

but yes, cooling skylines is a hard job also timing belts.... they eat them like all performance cars....

imho, get a small water spray going over the intercooler... so when you put the foot down to... erm " over take " then you heat up too much...

but yeah, just be careful,. in your thrist for speed , you will most likely strip her out, just be sure to strip cage bucket seats with the 5 point harness's and saftey tank.... Safety first for crash and burn... Your Choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

my sunny was weighted at 1330kg before she was cut up into a million and one pieces...

and thats a dinky 1.6 4 door sedan :pac:
    So are skylines heavy or not???
    but yes, cooling skylines is a hard job
    No it's not. The water pump, thermostat, radiator and viscous fan are perfectly adequate.
    also timing belts.... they eat them like all performance cars....
    Once again, I disagree.
    imho, get a small water spray going over the intercooler... so when you put the foot down to... erm " over take " then you heat up too much...
    No need. In any case water injection is usually sprayed into the intercooler as a fine mist, not onto it.

Advertisement