Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newrath/Grannagh road diversions - what da f...k

• 25-08-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been out this way in recent days, some really strange diversions/alterations in place? Inconvenient enough for cars, can't imagine what its like in a HGV/Aritc. Road Signs also leave a lot to be desired, utterly confusing.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya it is a bit confusing alright. Coming from all angles its a bit "Eh.. am I doing this right?". Surprised nobody has crashed on that mini roundabout on top of the hill!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Has anyone been out this way in recent days, some really strange diversions/alterations in place? Inconvenient enough for cars, can't imagine what its like in a HGV/Aritc. Road Signs also leave a lot to be desired, utterly confusing.

An absolute joke if you ask me. There was no prior notice of this happening at this stage. I came in that way at 11pm on Friday night and had no idea what way to go. I was sent up the new road which runs up behind Auto Bolands, then I was given the option to turn right to go down Newrath or left to head up by the Golf course.

I also drove out Sallypark yesterday and to my horror, Newrath is now closed off permanently and I had to go out as far as the redbridge service station to allow me do a u-turn to come back in and head up the new link road which allows me come out half way up Newrath.

This in my opinion is going to cause major traffic problems on the ferrybank dual carriage way, as there is going to be a hugh amount of traffic turning off under the bridge at Dunkitt and going along mullinabro and down Rockshire Road. Also outbound will be incredible slow with all the newrath and mullinabro traffic now using the ferrybank direction to head home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sully wrote: »
    Ya it is a bit confusing alright. Coming from all angles its a bit "Eh.. am I doing this right?". Surprised nobody has crashed on that mini roundabout on top of the hill!

Sully, I think the OP is referring to the changes that have been put in place just now, over the weekend (the Limerick road diversion and the little roundabout at the top of the hill are old news now :D).

Coming out from town, you pass Auto Boland, but you're diverted up a little hill to the right, whereupon you must turn left towards the Redbridge service station.

Coming into town (haven't done it yet), if I read it correctly, you veer off left away from Auto Boland, do a U-turn up at the top, then come back down and turn left, which takes you in front of Auto Boland.

Confused yet? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

fricatus wrote: »
    Sully, I think the OP is referring to the changes that have been put in place just now, over the weekend (the Limerick road diversion and the little roundabout at the top of the hill are old news now :D).

Coming out from town, you pass Auto Boland, but you're diverted up a little hill to the right, whereupon you must turn left towards the Redbridge service station.

Coming into town (haven't done it yet), if I read it correctly, you veer off left away from Auto Boland, do a U-turn up at the top, then come back down and turn left, which takes you in front of Auto Boland.

Confused yet? :rolleyes:

yes that is correct, or you can go towards Rockshire road and come into the City that way.

the next 12 months will see lots of new temporary diversions especially around Grannagh Junction as the bypass is due to open September 2009.

December/January I beleive is the date given for the new Sallypark DC to open, so this diversion is only going to last four/five months approx.

Bards wrote: »
    December/January I beleive is the date given for the new Sallypark DC to open, so this diversion is only going to last four/five months approx.

Yes, and of course the new dualler from the bridge outwards that will run behind Auto Boland (although ultimately all the way to Dublin - yaay) requires them to close the bottom of Newrath Road because it passes over that point.

I just found this morning's diversion to be just that little bit confusing. It wasn't on AA Roadwatch or communicated in the local papers at all. I think people would just like to know what's going on.

Having said that though, it will all be worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I know the roundabout is old news, but they closed of the Limerick road then to a few weeks back and that confused the hell out of me. And now they made more changes? I can see a pattern!

Sully wrote: »
    I know the roundabout is old news, but they closed of the Limerick road then to a few weeks back and that confused the hell out of me. And now they made more changes? I can see a pattern!

I think it's a dastardly Kilkenny plan to confuse the Waterford team bus driver so that we don't make it to Croker on time to contest the All-Ireland.

They've made changes over by Slieverue so that we can't use the coast road either.

Expect to see the railway moved within the week... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

have to agree with ye, its really confusing atm , saturday was unreal cause they only had one lane open @ bolands.

but hopefully when the road is fully done it will make more sence!
    Can't wait until the railway track wont be on the main road anymore, no more waiting in the morning or evenings anymore, heaven!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Omelettes and eggs tbh.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Can't say it's all that confusing. Just follow the signs. Sure, the setup is a bit strange for now, but it is bound to be when they are building a new major road like they are. There have been no traffic problems on it any time I've used it. The outbound traffic actually seemed better today than it used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

aw stop try meeting ten artics with those huge concrete beems like i did this morning at five o clock heading to work got stuck in traffic build up at the rail crossing(ye you heard right a traffic jam at five in the morning) waiting for just one of those trucks to turn the corner by bolands so the rest of em could move up a little to let traffic by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

emo!! wrote: »
    Can't wait until the railway track wont be on the main road anymore, no more waiting in the morning or evenings anymore, heaven!!!

that'll just be a local road for local people *in a stubs (league of Gentlemen) vioce*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When they build the bridge over the current Dublin road near ex-Roadstone, will they need to close the current detour again? I don't know if they can build a bridge over an active road, for safety as much as anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

is the bypass still 60kph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The most perplexing thing for me is why it's necessary to send all the citybound traffic up and around the new big roundabout at the back of Bolands in the first place.

Heading into work early this morning the bendy poles blocking a quick turn to avoid the roundabout were handily demolished during the night...by this evening they were replaced with their more traditional less flexible cones:D

However I do feel a bit sorry for the owners of the Texaco garage in Newrath.With the new set up there the entrance to the filling station is a bit more awkward for the trucks in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

fricatus wrote: »
    I think it's a dastardly Kilkenny plan to confuse the Waterford team bus driver so that we don't make it to Croker on time to contest the All-Ireland.

They've made changes over by Slieverue so that we can't use the coast road either.

Expect to see the railway moved within the week... :D

Thats funny.. I was in a pub in Kilkenny last night (not saying where, to save me from a lynching) and the 4 men at the bar were giving out about the Waterford plan to do a land grap around that area. They were giving it socks re how it should be the Kilkenny Train station and not Waterford's....
    Questions being asked were.."What Bol*x's gave them the other side of the river.?" and "Why cant they stay on their side of the river?"
    Finished pint and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Can't say it's all that confusing. Just follow the signs. Sure, the setup is a bit strange for now, but it is bound to be when they are building a new major road like they are. There have been no traffic problems on it any time I've used it. The outbound traffic actually seemed better today than it used to.

Well said, we've all spent long enough looking for this road, lets happily put up with the temporary inconveniences. Waterford is not all that big, if you take a wrong turn it's easy correct it!

Advertisement