Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transferring ownership

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm thinking of transferring ownership of my car to my mother for insurance purposes. I have only 3rd party cover on my car and if I get 3rd party on the micra at home with quinn then I also have 3rd party on any other car with permission of the owner. I cant be the owner though!

so I can save a few hundred euro by transferring the car to my mam and driving away with the same cover basically! would there be any questions asked in the tax office or insurance company with anything like this? What do you have to do to transfer ownership anyways?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

DaMonk wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm thinking of transferring ownership of my car to my mother for insurance purposes. I have only 3rd party cover on my car and if I get 3rd party on the micra at home with quinn then I also have 3rd party on any other car with permission of the owner. I cant be the owner though!

so I can save a few hundred euro by transferring the car to my mam and driving away with the same cover basically! would there be any questions asked in the tax office or insurance company with anything like this? What do you have to do to transfer ownership anyways?
    Thanks!

It's called Insurance Fronting and is illegal. For it to be legal your mother would have to be driving the car something like 80% of the time. If you have a full licence with Quinn Direct, you can drive anything third party then. If not, i wouldn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

It's called Insurance Fronting and is illegal. For it to be legal your mother would have to be driving the car something like 80% of the time. If you have a full licence with Quinn Direct, you can drive anything third party then. If not, i wouldn't bother.
    Ya I do have a full licence.I'm not talking about going under her name on the car. I'm talking about getting insured on the micra and driving "my car" as I'm covered by quinn on all other cars. Just wondering if it would actually be an issue as all I have to say is that my mother paid for the car so its in her name and I dont usually drive it? and would she have to have a policy on the car as I read awhile ago that quinn dont require a policy already on the car to gain the 3rd party coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you saying you are already insured on this car (im assuming its somewhat high powered), you want to transfer this car to your mom. You get insured on a crappy Micra instead but continue to drive your higher powered car?

Did you ever stop to think what would happen if/when you put through a claim? Im sure alarm bells would start ringing when they see the car you were driving is one you used to be insured on until you downgraded your car.
    You would not only be risking yourself but your mother would be complicit in a crime.

I'd ring Quinn and ask there limitations on what you can drive third party. I can see where your coming from but i am sure there is some catch. Also the car will be in your mother name adding another driver to the log book etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Saruman wrote: »
    Are you saying you are already insured on this car (im assuming its somewhat high powered), you want to transfer this car to your mom. You get insured on a crappy Micra instead but continue to drive your higher powered car?

Did you ever stop to think what would happen if/when you put through a claim? Im sure alarm bells would start ringing when they see the car you were driving is one you used to be insured on until you downgraded your car.
    You would not only be risking yourself but your mother would be complicit in a crime.
    ya thats pretty much exactly what I'm saying. Even if alarm bells did start going what can they do? All I say is that the higher pwered car was in the garage so I transferred insurance to the smaller one and then realised it worked out cheaper to keep it that way? can they actually do anythiung about it?

• Advertisement

DaMonk wrote: »
    ya thats pretty much exactly what I'm saying. Even if alarm bells did start going what can they do? All I say is that the higher pwered car was in the garage so I transferred insurance to the smaller one and then realised it worked out cheaper to keep it that way? can they actually do anythiung about it?

Well if your insurance company says you can drive something else third party, as long as it's not in your name, then i don't see a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Well if your insurance company says you can drive something else third party, as long as it's not in your name, then i don't see a problem.

As long as there is a policy in force on the car that your driving and don't own its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some slightly dodgy advice being given here, I think. I would be surprised if the policy doesn't have terms like the "primary driver", which won't be the OP's parent, but the OP himself.

There is a duty of disclosure, which means that you must declare all relevant information. The policy is voidable if not all the relevant information is supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm
    Apparently in the UK they can void your policy for it. Remember a lot of our insurance companies are UK based!
    This article is just about putting your parents down on the car you drive and you as a second driver (when in fact you are primary driver).
    However fronting a small car for a more powerful car would be seen as even worse so do what you like but be prepared to accept the consequences should they occur.

Advertisement