Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V liverpool [All Pre/during/post match discussion here]

• 25-08-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Sunday 31st August
    16:00
    Away

Lets get the ball rolling

I think liverpool don't just need to win this they need to play well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ajeffares wrote: »
    Away
    Actually it's a home fixture :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

IN BEFORE LOCK (its Monday ffs)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote: »
    IN BEFORE LOCK (its Monday ffs)

Mike.

Yes and Liverpool have another game before this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Savman wrote: »
    Actually it's a home fixture :rolleyes:
    Is it? Me checking on Liverpool.tv....... Oh yeah sorry.

Will Riera be at Liverpool in time for the game?
    I would be surprised if he was playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

OH ITS ONNNN!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Really looking forward to seeing the atmosphere at this game. I would imagine that every touch Barry takes of teh ball, the Villa fans will be giving it socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    OH ITS ONNNN!!!!!

LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Really looking forward to seeing the atmosphere at this game. I would imagine that every touch Barry takes of teh ball, the Villa fans will be giving it socks.

actually, he's been quite well received by the Villa faithful...funnily enough.

LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    OH ITS ONNNN!!!!!

Loud noises!!!

Loud noises!!!

Welcome to the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Alonso to score the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Toughest fixture of the season so far in relative terms. But if we want to achieve a significant improvement in the league this season we need to be putting away the small clubs with regularity - so 3 points is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Whatever happens I'd hope both sets of fans are gracious in victory and defeat in equal measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Savman wrote: »
    Whatever happens I'd hope both sets of fans are gracious in victory and defeat in equal measure.

I'm seriously doubting that's gonna happen. Sure anyway, this'll be easy. Villa are ****e, for f*ck sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The good news is that Barry will have a 'mare ;) I hope to see Marlon Harewood leading the line too *cough*

Mike.

Liverpool need not just to win but also to play well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

THe way Liverpool have been playing, they could lose this. Though with Mash and Alonso back their shape will be much much better. Still a system not entirely working though due to wide players. Going to be tough for Villa to score, but Torres and Keane will need to work for Liverpool to score.

Another chance for Keane toprove himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Villa to catch Pool out, LFC have been unimpressive despite their wins, but a full VP with a chip on its shoulder about our guests and Ashley Young to show Fabio why he should be in the England first XI should mean Villa come good. Given our leaky defence Torres is a certainty to score, im not sure if Cuellar is starting but i dont know if MON is going to make any changes after last weeks annus horribilis.

Barry to miss a penalty.

Twas this exact time last year that Villa beat Chelsea which hastened Jose Mourinhos exit, oh for a result as glorious as that, it is after all a top 4 side we are playing against.

_44092495_knight416.jpg

(tenuous reason to post the pic i dont care!)

Come on the Villa!

I wouyldn't be surprised to see Riera on the bench.
    Comin on if we're well up with twenty to go.

TBH, this is the game that I finaly see Liverpool clicking in.
    No disrespect to AV or anything, but with Masch back, Babel starting hopefully, and the European cloud lifted, I can see Liverpool winning comfortably.

Then again, I thought we'd in comfortably on Wed!:P

• Advertisement

_44092495_knight416.jpg

(tenuous reason to post the pic i dont care!)

No explaination needed.
    Any Picture with JT looking so misserable should be posted as much as possible!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

actually, he's been quite well received by the Villa faithful...funnily enough.

I know. What I meant is that every time he touches the ball, the Villa fans will be eager to rub it in the Liverpool supporter's face that Barry is still with Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Really think Villa will win this. Lliverpools run of luck has to run out sometime

they've been brutal anytime I've seen them latley and have been getting results.

I know. What I meant is that every time he touches the ball, the Villa fans will be eager to rub it in the Liverpool supporter's face that Barry is still with Villa.

tbh I think Pool supporters are happy he didn't sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What odds would you get on a two nil win to Villa. Barry to score and Alonso to get an own goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

exactly. its gonna be strange.

Pool fans will be spurring Xabi on as much as possible. the majority of match going fans simply didnt see Barry in and Xabi out as good business and are happy it didnt go through.

Reina
    Carragher-Skrtel--Agger-Aurelio-
    Alonso--Mascherano
    ---Kuyt
    Keane
    Babel---
    Torres

oh yesssh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Villa will nick it, Carragher will give a penalty away. Gorgeous Dirt Kuyt will be as rubbish as he was against Liege.

No explaination needed.
    Any Picture with JT looking so misserable should be posted as much as possible!:D

Oh yes, hopefully there'll be a similar looking pic on Monday with Carragher looking as equally Forlorn:P:pac:!
    Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry will line up against the club he was desperate to sign for all summer but was eventually prevented from joining.

Ashley Young, John Carew, Martin Laursen, Stiliyan Petrov, Luke Young and Nicky Shorey could all return and Carlos Cuellar may also feature.

Liverpool midfielders Javier Mascherano and Lucas are back but skipper Steven Gerrard is out after a groin operation.

Defender Sami Hyypia remains a doubt with a hamstring problem.

Aston Villa (from): Friedel, L Young, Laursen, Cuellar, Davies, Shorey, Reo-Coker, Barry, Petrov, A Young, Agbonlahor, Carew, Taylor, Knight, Harewood, Salifou, Routledge, Gardner, Osbourne, Delfouneso.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Dossena, Benayoun, Babel, Mascherano, Lucas, Plessis, Alonso, Kuyt, Torres, Keane, El Zhar, Cavalieri, Ngog, Agger, Spearing.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez:
    "Javier Mascherano is training well. We have plenty of options now in the middle, but I have no problem considering Mascherano for the match after his trip to Beijing.

"Maybe having won a second gold medal he will be inspired to perform well for us.

"He has kept in contact with me during the Olympics and has been keen to know everything that has been going on at the club. Now he is back he is a welcomed addition to our playing strength."

Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, referring to his collapsed move to Liverpool:
    "Will Sunday be strange? I am 100% for Villa. That won't be strange.

"I've spoken to the manager and I've no problem giving 100% for Aston Villa - and that will be starting against Liverpool on Sunday.

"Will the fans all be behind me? All I can do is give 100% for the club. That is all the fans will want to see."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7578475.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'll take a draw now, Villa were rather poor against City they were just lucky that City were even worse and we were shocking last week.

But when you change 3 of your back 5 its always going to take a while to get organised and get used to each other and the King could make his debut this week which would make it a new back 4 of 5 (including the keeper)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

As a United fan, I see this being a 1-1 draw most likely, If I had to pick a winner I would say Villa to edge it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Nil - Nil Draw Anyone?

Don't expect Rafa to have Riera in the squad - he generally likes to take a while to get players settled in when he signs before adding them to the squad.

Would like to see El Zhar start but would expect Kuyt to get the nod.

Presuambly Voronin/Pennant/Finnan not to be in the squad, to fuel further transfer speculation.

Gerrard is a big loss for this game.

Reina, Arbeloa, Carra, Skrtel, Dossena, Masch, Alonso, Kuyt, Babel, Torres, Keane
    Subs: Cavailieri, Agger, Hyypia, Ngog, El Zhar, Lucas, Benayoun

Could MON might throw Millner in? My guess at the Villa team below

Villa: Friedel, L Young, Laursen, Cuellar, Shorey, Reo-Coker, Barry, Petrov, A Young, Agbonlahor, Carew

It woudl be nice for Liverpool to win this before the international break.
    I'd gladly take a scuffed 1-0 of Keane's knee.

The problem i see for Villa is that Liverpools narrow defensive game is a perfect antidote to Villas attacking style.

Mascherano V Young will be a great battle.

I cant see Villa losing especially now with Gerrard out, he took the points for Pool last season so i predict a score draw.

Masch will be rearing to go, and will free up so much space for the rest of the midfield.
    Like I said, everything looks good for me.

Aston Villa 0-2 Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I think Villa will win 2-1 and even Mark Lawrenson agrees with me:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7586845.stm

I think Villa should beat them especially with no Gerrard,It's agreat chance to do it and get them back for making our summer hell.

What tv coverage is the match getting?
    If Liverpool play well they will win
    If they play like they have been playing they will draw or lose

• Advertisement

...if they play without Gerrard...

BENITEZ PLANS O`NEILL HANDSHAKE

Rafael Benitez has smoothed over any conflict with England boss Fabio Capello - but he concedes Martin O'Neill may be more difficult.

The Liverpool boss can expect a vitriolic reception from Aston Villa fans in the wake of the Gareth Barry saga when the Anfield men face O'Neill's side on Sunday in a Premier League showdown.

And Benitez will come face to face with Villa boss O'Neill for the first time following a summer of acrimony between the pair over the abortive Barry transfer to Liverpool.

And O'Neill may well be a more difficult customer to placate than Capello was on Friday, following the groin operation for Steven Gerrard that will rule the Liverpool skipper out of both of England's World Cup qualifiers next month.

Capello was believed to have been annoyed he did not know Gerrard was going to have an operation following Wednesday's Champions League victory over Standard Liege.

And the Italian was on the phone sharpish on Friday. Benitez said: "Steven Gerrard has had the operation, it was not serious but he will not be available until after the international break.

"I have spoken today to Fabio Capello about the situation, he asked me how Steven was and it was a good conversation. Everything was positive between us and I have explained to him the timing and when he will be fit.

"We had no option but to have the operation done now, there will be another international break soon anyway, and we could not wait any longer.

"The player had problems and we needed to do it straight away, we had no choice. Fabio Capello understands this."

So one down, one to go for Benitez in the diplomatic department. O'Neill has been angry about the way Liverpool conducted their business in their chase for Barry.

Benitez knows the TV cameras will watch his every move on the touchline at Villa Park, but he insists he will have no problem shaking the hand of the Villa boss.

He said: "I do not know what response I will get on Sunday (from Villa fans) but I will be only concentrating on what goes on out on the pitch.

"I do not want to say too much, I do not want to analyse too much what has gone on before because we cannot change things now.

"I am now only concerned with how to beat Villa and how to control Barry on the pitch.

"Do I have a good relationship with Martin O'Neill?... I don't think so. But of course I will shake his hand, I am a calm man and I do not have any problems with him about that."

He added: "I had a good relationship with Martin O'Neill before this summer, and I was surprised at what has been said but I insist that I have not spoken to him since April.

"But I do not believe there will be any problem shaking hands, we can do it.

"We know that Barry is a good player, very good for them. We will try to contain him on the pitch and not talk too much about other things that have happened in the summer.

"It is important that we all concentrate on football. But I expect Barry to do his best for his team."

Benitez, who confirmed Espanyol winger Albert Riera will have a medical on Friday and is expected to complete an £8million move, was also at his diplomatic best when asked about yet another delay in the building of the club's new stadium in Stanley Park.

Benitez said: "As for the situation regarding the new stadium, it is not something I can do anything about so I prefer to concentrate on the next game and beating Aston Villa.

"We are trying not to think about this, we are concentrating on things we can have an effect on. It is not good news, but we cannot change things.

"At the moment I have too many other things to think about: Riera, the Champions League, Aston Villa. That is the immediate future I am concerned with.

"I understand very well our fans and what they may think, but they will understand that I must concentrate on the next match and three more points.

"I am sure everyone thinks the same way about the stadium (delays). But it not something I can do anything about, my responsibility now is to keep focused and think only of the points and improving."

Liverpool expect to have Javier Mascherano back to replace Gerrard in midfield, while youngster Lucas is back in the squad having also returned from the Olympics.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4065829,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Another chance for Keane toprove himself

Keane doesn't need to prove anything to you or me. He's more than good enough. It takes time.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Keane doesn't need to prove anything to you or me. He's more than good enough. It takes time.
    Not to me I'm sorry to say
    But I'm sure he will . . .

I love all the talk from Villa fans about how Villa will want revenge.

As if Liverpool will ignore how MON di*ked us around all summer?!

The feeling is more than mutual.
    Believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Really think Villa will win this. Lliverpools run of luck has to run out sometime

they've been brutal anytime I've seen them latley and have been getting results.

... no chance that it's more like Liverpool's run of playing badly has to run out sometime.. maybe at Villa park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I see this being very close, a draw, or either side just shading a win. Just a kick of a ball in this one i think.

Villa are strongest in their attack while without Gerrard Liverpool will be strongest at the back. I see Young coming up against Arbeloa and Kuyt both playing fairly defensively to limit villas strongest point of attack. Masch too coming down to block crosses to carew. Stopping carew's service is vital. Pool this season haven't been at their best defending high balls in and I cant see Carew making the same poor headed efforts Liege did over their 2 legs. I could see Milner starting as he's fully fit and always up for it.
    All in all i expect both both liverpool flanks closely watching the villa wingers, masch sitting on Barry any time he tries to get forward to give through balls and liverpool working to create openings by Keane dropping deep to receive from Alonso with narrow play, then shifting it wider to Yossi or Kuyt to try and work it in for Torres.

I could see Babel Vs L.Young being an important battle in the last 20mins.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Did you lot see this....fair play to him he put a lot of effort into it.

Who Do You Think You Are Fooling Steven Gerrard....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if we play anything like we did against odense away, odense home, city home (bar 15 minutes), stoke away or hf at home last night, we're gonna get stuffed

I love all the talk from Villa fans about how Villa will want revenge.

yeah he defo dicked yis round alrite. yis were told a price and didnt meet it

simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Helix wrote: »
    yeah he defo dicked yis round alrite. yis were told a price and didnt meet it

simple as

Yea i think he's talking about all the bullsh't about talking to the media about it repeatedly...

ibh wrote: »
    Yea i think he's talking about all the bullsh't about talking to the media about it repeatedly...

well liverpool clearly wanted it in the media in the first place

h was only complying with your apparent wishes there like, being and gentleman and that:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm seriously doubting that's gonna happen. Sure anyway, this'll be easy. Villa are ****e, for f*ck sake
    yeez were muck agianst leige so dont be slag off the villa we see who wins on sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Helix wrote: »
    well liverpool clearly wanted it in the media in the first place

h was only complying with your apparent wishes there like, being and gentleman and that:p

TBH i have no desire to talk about the GB summer. I didn't want us to sign him, i wish there had never been an enquiry about him, in the media or in private. I'm not sure where Liverpool made their enquiry or if Benitez was involved. I pretty much ignored this saga from start to finish but from reading on here people (pool fans) had a beef with MON because apparently he made lots of press statements about it. Not sure if they were to the papers or during his BBC work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

And round & round we go :pac: :p

Good we have Masch back, has Agger travelled with the squad?

• Advertisement
Advertisement