Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V liverpool [All Pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Hahaha Helix says it like it is no sugar coating, im gonna try and avoid bringing up GB unless necessary myself, i just want Villa to beat Pool its been 7 years since it las happened and we've never been in a better position to beat them until now. Helix no doubt you'll be at this. Are you clapping or just politely ignoring GB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Helix wrote: »
    well liverpool clearly wanted it in the media in the first place

h was only complying with your apparent wishes there like, being and gentleman and that:p

Yeah lets all just forget that the reporter who broke the story came out and said that the leak came from Birmingham, after MON admitted to leaving the fax unattended on his office desk for a week!;)

But lets just see what happens on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

REINA

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Aurelio

Mascherano

Lucas

Babel
    Riera
    Keane

Torres

Villa 1 Liverpool 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FFS we still have a Barry thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

REINA

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Aurelio

Mascherano

Lucas

Babel
    Riera
    Keane

Torres

Villa 1 Liverpool 2.

I doubt Rafa will start Riera

ajeffares wrote: »
    I doubt Rafa will start Riera

It's very unlikely.
    He may be on the bench, maybe.
    Really can't see him started though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

REINA

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Aurelio

Mascherano

Lucas

Babel
    Riera
    Keane

Torres

Villa 1 Liverpool 2.

Why do you think Babel is going to be played on the right? In fifty games for Liverpool he has played there twice - just twice. It's not going to happen. Sorry for picking on you a bit but this is one of the things thst gets my wick Hero

Also Rafa doesn't put new players into the team - never has and I doubt he will start tomorrow - I'd be surprised to see Riera make the bench.

I doubt Lucas will get a start - would love to see it but doubt it will happen

Why do you think Babel is going to be played on the right? In fifty games for Liverpool he has played there twice - just twice. It's not going to happen. Sorry for picking on you a bit but this is one of the things thst gets my wick Hero

Also Rafa doesn't put new players into the team - never has and I doubt he will start tomorrow - I'd be surprised to see Riera make the bench.

I doubt Lucas will get a start - would love to see it but doubt it will happen

Okay, if Babel doesn't go on the right, and Riera doesn't start, and neither does Lucas, then who the fork plays in center midfield??

Alonso and Mascherano???

:confused::confused:

Lucas had very good games for us at center midfield last year. I think he should be in. He missed the drain of mid-week. Slap him in there, he is a natural center mid after all.

This is to important a game to play Lucas a relatively Untested player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Alonso so far this season has been our only player who could pass the ball, fact, why on earth should he be dropped?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Okay, if Babel doesn't go on the right, and Riera doesn't start, and neither does Lucas, then who the fork plays in center midfield??

Alonso and Mascherano???

Why all the confused question marks? Surely any other midfield combo in a presume 4-2-3-1 for this match would be more confusing?

Alsonso and Masch is the first choice pairing out of the available centra midfielders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Milner on one wing and Young on the other, Liverpool will really have to control either the ball or big John Carew in order not to concede some goals I feel.

I feel that Villa should be favourites for this one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

villa favourites? not even close

Controlling John Carew will certainly not be an issue, carra, skrtel, agger would all show him up.
    I know Milner is villa's new god since he returned and he's certainly a good footballer, but any of our left backs can keep him quiet easily enough,
    Young is class no question, but if arbeloa can keep Lionel Messi in his pocket he can make sure Ashley Young does little of note.
    Sidwell, Reo-coker, Petrov and barry between all 4 don't have the passing range of Xabi alonso or the defensive capabilities of mascherano.

Torres, Keana, Babel, Benayoun and Kuyt can all do damage.

Favourites is a bold statement to make in football, but I'll say that liverpool are certainly the favourites.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Favourites is a bold statement to make in football, but I'll say that liverpool are certainly the favourites.

Bet ya a fiver that pool dont win, can send you the money through a poker site if you play at all.

Edit: Paddy Power have us as marginal favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Alonso and Mascherano???

Lucas had very good games for us at center midfield last year. I think he should be in. He missed the drain of mid-week. Slap him in there, he is a natural center mid after all.

I think it far more likely that we'll have something very like
    Defence
    ---Masch--Alonso
    Kuyt---Keane---Yossi
    Torres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I hope we batter the sh*te out of Villa on Sunday. O'Neill was the singularly most annoying twat in the transfer market over the summer and deserves a good beating. Would be great karma.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

shoutman wrote: »
    Bet ya a fiver that pool dont win, can send you the money through a poker site if you play at all.

Edit: Paddy Power have us as marginal favourites.

No interest in betting my hard earned cash diamonds.

Paddy Power bookmaking doesn't make you actual favourites. I just think it's laughable.

Ardent wrote: »
    I hope we batter the sh*te out of Villa on Sunday. O'Neill was the singularly most annoying twat in the transfer market over the summer and deserves a good beating. Would be great karma.

LOL? Does this statement stem from the fact that he wouldnt drop the asking price on our best player?

Benitez was absolutely morally wrong in the way he conducted the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LOL? Does this statement stem from the fact that he wouldnt drop the asking price on our best player?

probably more that he kept going to the media every few days. Ordinarily a club put in an offer, the other club name their price, and things after that stay quiet unless the buyer matches said price. In this case, it just kept staying out in the open, with nothing or any importance being said. Liverpool went a good month without even submitting another offer yet it was still in the news with new quotes from MON every week.

But anyway, this is the match thread, this isn't really relevent (and even if it is, its been done to death by all of us).

As I said before, i expect a close run game with a kick of a ball being the difference. Both teams really need to step it up if they're going to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yeah he defo dicked yis round alrite. yis were told a price and didnt meet it

simple as

No, i have no issue with the asking price, my issue is with MON being a liar. and trying to soil the name of a great manager. He publically called Rafa a liar saying Rafa never made his intentions known about his interest in Barry and the offer was out of the blue, before later admitting they had a phone conversation on the matter.
    well liverpool clearly wanted it in the media in the first place

h was only complying with your apparent wishes there like, being and gentleman and that:p

Villa broke the story publically, you've embarrased yourself a handful of times over the summer trying to prove otherwise, but funnily enough you still sprout the same ****e

how are those sources of yours?
    when is Jaoquin arriving?
    Your mate in the Echo keeping well?

sham

Rafa conducted his business decently in the main, possibly he should have remained totally silent on Barry but MON made it impossible for that to happen.

MON broke the story to the press, hence leaving Rafa to pick up the pieces.

I used to have a lot of respect for MON, after the summer, i think of him as nothing but an amateurish little hobbit.

I've broken my own rule about posting when drunk, but tbh, Villa fans have wound me up too much over the summer.

I predict a draw, but i really hope i am wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Alonso and Mascherano???

Don't see how who plays wide will affect the centre to be honest

Yeah Alonso and Masch - I would expect that's who Rafa will start. I would imagine that's who most would expect to see starting today - I would prefer Lucas and Masch myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I used to have a lot of respect for MON, after the summer, i think of him as nothing but an amateurish little hobbit.

As annoying as he was in the media, he did manage to keep his best player after kicking up a fuss. I wouldn't call that amateurish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ardent gets a yellow card calling MON a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I was dreading the whole GB saga would return. USE THE OTHER THREAD!
    I would be thrilled to see Liverpool winning this, regardless how poorly they play. I'll always take 9/9 points as opposed to 6/9 when playing well. I'm not saying I'll be happy with a draw but I think villa are more than good enough to get the draw. I think our defense will deal with their attack but Liverpool have been so toothless as of late, so to score will be difficult. The huge positive is that Masch is back and should bring stability to the team. I hope I've it all wrong here and Liverpool will return to the form they are more than capable of but judging by the performances I've seen so far.
    Villa win 1-0 with scrappy goal.:(

Mod Notice
    No more Barry stuff. Anything else will be deleted. There is another thread, use it.

I'm curious as to what Villa's back four will be. Young Shorey and two of Davies/Laursen/Cueller. Laursen didn't have a great game last time but he's the captain so its probably between Davies and the King.

As for the midfield, if MON plays 4-4-2 and not a 4-3-2-1 formation, I would expect it to line up like this

Young
    Barry
    Sidwell
    Milner

that said, Reo-Coker is still there and hasn't played any worse then Sidwell did (I know he was settling in). It feels so good to have to think about who will be in our starting eleven. :)

TBH I think there will definately be goals, I have a bad feeling that for some reason it will all come together for Liverpool and we'll scrape a draw,

but my head says it will be a home Victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i expect last season pool formation and a better performance but a draw.

Would take Finnan back in but it wont happen.

I expect
    Reina
    Arbelo Carra Skertl Aurelio

Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Babel
    Keane
    Torres

Thats right. Benitez was on MOTD doing the talking.:D

ajeffares wrote: »
    This is to important a game to play Lucas a relatively Untested player

All the games are important. Thats the first thing.

Secondly, he did a job against Inter Milan last season- and came on for a smirking Gerrard at Everton, and basically scored the winner.

Of course, this was all lost on Eamonn Dunphy, so there is no reason why it won't be lost on anyone else.

Lucas is tried and tested and with Alonso, Babel, Benny, Mascherano to chose from, I think he should be slotted in at Center Back.

Personally, it might be best to pack Midfield, 5 strong, with Babel in there, Torres up front and Keane to come on late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gonna be sitting pretty much next to the scouse fans at this

hopefully the team give us some good ammo to shout lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good line in todays Guardian from Stuart James in relation to tomorrow's match. "Liverpool visit Villa Park in a fixture that ought to begin with the former Bullseye host Jim Bowen looking in Barry's direction and trotting out his famous catchphrase 'let's have a look at what you could have won' ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

All the games are important. Thats the first thing.

Secondly, he did a job against Inter Milan last season- and came on for a smirking Gerrard at Everton, and basically scored the winner.

Of course, this was all lost on Eamonn Dunphy, so there is no reason why it won't be lost on anyone else.

Lucas is tried and tested and with Alonso, Babel, Benny, Mascherano to chose from, I think he should be slotted in at Center Back.

Personally, it might be best to pack Midfield, 5 strong, with Babel in there, Torres up front and Keane to come on late.

Lucas at centre-back? hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

monkey9 wrote: »
    Good line in todays Guardian from Stuart James in relation to tomorrow's match. "Liverpool visit Villa Park in a fixture that ought to begin with the former Bullseye host Jim Bowen looking in Barry's direction and trotting out his famous catchphrase 'let's have a look at what you could have won' ".

Classic stuff :D. Have to say am really looking forward to the match. Expect the mash to play a blinder tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

if we play anything like we did against odense away, odense home, city home (bar 15 minutes), stoke away or hf at home last night, we're gonna get stuffed

In fairness, Liverpool aren't exactly at the top of their game either.

Am not looking forward to this match to be honest. I am hoping that the return of Mascherano will have us reverting to a more effective 4-2-3-1 formation but I am not sure..

I am predicting a draw with both sides largely cancelling each other out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Alonso and Mascherano???

You say this as if the likelihood of Alonso and Masch starting is an impossibility. I genuinely don't see Lucas starting over Alonso.

Edit: just seen the rest of your posts on the this thread.. You are off your head...

I see it as below:

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Babel

Keane
    Torres

What I would like to see is:

Reina
    Carra
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Masch
    Alonso
    El Zhar
    Keane
    Babel
    Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

What's the crack with Agger?.....Is he fit to play tomorrow. If so id like to see him and Skrtel in the middle of defence with Carragher at right back.

I'd like to see it start as

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Masch
    Lucas

----Kuyt
    Keane
    Babel----

Torres

Alonso is carrying a bit of a knock, so I'd prefer him on the bench.
    Bringing him on at around the 60 minute mark would be a great switch in play, and if we're pushing for an equaliser/winner in the final twenty mins, it'd be handy having him on with fresh legs.

I think Agger's being babied a bit at the moment.
    I mthink they want to make sure he's at 100% before over risking him.

I'd like to see El Zhar given his chance earlier too.
    I know that Rafa likes making changes at around the 60 minute mark, but I think that Nabil should get a good 45 min if possible.

As I've said before, I can see Masch being the difference maker, and Liverpool winning by two.

If I was picking Liverpools team I'd go with
    [keeping in mind the international break is coming up, so risking players on niggles is ok]

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Masch
    Alonso

----El Zhar
    Keane
    Benayoun----

Torres

Mascherano will make Liverpool much better at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PHB wrote: »
    If I was picking Liverpools team I'd go with
    [keeping in mind the international break is coming up, so risking players on niggles is ok]

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Masch
    Alonso

----El Zhar
    Keane
    Benayoun----

Torres

Mascherano will make Liverpool much better at the back.

in fairness to him, i don't think it is the right time to start El Zhar even though he's been doing well as a sub.
    What happens is, if he has a mare everyone slates him and says he's sh'te... I would however prefer to see him get a decent portion of the game as in at least 30mins..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Masch
    Alonso

----Kuyt
    Keane
    Babel----

Torres

Is what I submitted to Fantasy Rafa so I better stick with it.

Subs are important, its a 14 from 18 man game these days

Cavalieri, Agger, Aurelio, Yossi, El Zhar, Lucas, Ngog

Mike

I'd prefer to see Agger start. If he is good enough for the bench he is good enough to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

time for bed, not gonna miss my flight this time

COME ON THE VILLA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No offense Helix, but don't enjoy the match tomorrow. Have a great time before and after though and more importantly, arrive alive!!!

HOLTE END IS IN THE SKY YIPPEE EYE AYYY YIPPEEE EYEE OHHHH (apologies for the drunkenness)

CAREW CAREW CAREW IS ON FIRE

GABY GABY GABY GABY AGBONLAHOR, HE'S FAST AS BEJAYSUS, HE'S FAST AS BEJAYSUS (This chant has been modified as per forum rules)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

HOLTE END IS IN THE SKY YIPPEE EYE AYYY YIPPEEE EYEE OHHHH (apologies for the drunkenness)

CAREW CAREW CAREW IS ON FIRE

GABY GABY GABY GABY AGBONLAHOR, HE'S FAST AS BEJAYSUS, HE'S FAST AS BEJAYSUS (This chant has been modified as per forum rules)

ah you;re drunk you're drunk ya silly auld fool, as drunk as drunk can be...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

HOLTE END IS IN THE SKY YIPPEE EYE AYYY YIPPEEE EYEE OHHHH
    I think you'll find the particular lyric is 'Holtenders In The Sky' but we shan't be pedantic on this occasion :D

This has 1-1 draw written all over it IMHO. So of course I'm going for a home win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

mike65 wrote: »

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Masch
    Alonso

----Kuyt
    Keane
    Babel----

Torres
    Things seem a little better balanced with the olympic players back - swapping Masch for Gerrard actually seems like a good thing. I think it could allow Keane to flourish for once, though I hope he's only missing for Villa!

Sky 1
    4:00

Any one read theIrish mail on Sunday?
    Total bull. Heres the headline:

Stadium stalled, Rafa feuding, Kean of the boil, Gerrard injured...
    Liverpool are in...
    TURMOIL

Way ott

I think you lose the right to complain about the press over-reacting by reading the mail.

PHB wrote: »
    I think you lose the right to complain about the press over-reacting by reading the mail.

I hate hearing a fair arguement;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement