Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V liverpool [All Pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't know - good to have something in reserve that can change the makeup of the team if required.

Totally understood, but i dont think the team is balanced and i would rather that than the bench being strong.
    Go out and try and win from the start and hopefully not need andy major changes from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can see this being one all, but with Chelsea dropping points, it's a chance to go top outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Babel in the Lucas role would have been better, Let him run at players without the responsibility of actually haveing to stay on the wing. I reckon he'd do damage there. Rafa may wellhave this in mind for late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    what do you mean wher the fuk is babel?! He's clearly not fit to start yet, has been poor in his two sub appearances so far. Wouldn't expect anything from him from the start, at least there's some chance of him changing the game from the bench.

He was fit to play in the olympics and has been back from them longer than masch and lucas.

As i said i hope i'm wrong but i would prefer to go for it from the start than have Babel in reserve for if things were going badly.

If it were Gerrard instead of Lucas i would have no worries as he has qualities as a roving midfielder, i don't like the look of masch, xabi and lucas in the same midfield with no natural wide men in the team along with them.

Worst.Visual,Ever.

I cant belive sky actually sent 2 groups of lads out to a field with a Barry jersey tied to a rope to film that. Shocking. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ibh wrote: »
    He was fit to play in the olympics and has been back from them longer than masch and lucas.

As i said i hope i'm wrong but i would prefer to go for it from the start than have Babel in reserve for if things were going badly.
    Ya he was there, but he wasn't great and didn't look fit. Yet straight from a long injury to playing full games and has looked very poor since he got back. Just think it would be a massive mistake to start a guy who's off form and who does his best work from the bench anyway.

It's donkey kong time, people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That jersey is ugggggggggggggggggggggggggly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lucas on the left; Masch and Alonso sitting; with Keane behind Torres dictating play.

EDIT: nope - Keane on the left apparently. **** it, I'm confused.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

looked good with keane behind torres for a few mins there too, lot of pointing and shouting at back for villa while they tried to work out what was going on.

Decent passing and movement from Liverpool to start with, but could be just villa struggling to make sense of the formation.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    That jersey is ugggggggggggggggggggggggggly.

To be fair it's been the same Claret and blue muck for donkeys years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Skrtel silly yellow

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Stekelly wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well played:pac:

20 mins in - little from either side so far. Two different approaches: Liverpool are all about the patient short passing build up; whereas Villa try to hit the channels much quicker - a more direct philosophy.

Listening to this (no stream is working atm) it sounds like Liverpool are the home side, no real penetration in the final 25 yards with Masch doing well.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Neither side creating anything, this game needs a goal

SantryRed wrote: »
    Well played:pac:

To be fair you set it up for me with a Schoolboy error. I couldnt believe my luck when you didnt mention Liverpool in the sentence. :D

Torres has done his hamstring. ****.

Well thats just no good at all.

It's ok. Keane will do th busi..........

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Listening to this (no stream is working atm) it sounds like Liverpool are the home side, no real penetration in the final 25 yards with Masch doing well.

Mike

yep, Pool with prob 70% of the possesion. When Villa get it they push it forward in a hurry. Looks like Torres may have just tweaked a hamstring

oh oh!:(

Sh-ite Torres hamstring, Babel on. Put him up front with Keane

Edit Ngog is coming on.

Mike

Torres looks like he's finished, yep he's off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Torres off with hamstring. :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Torres down with a hamstring problem by the looks of it, trying to jog it off now, poor pass from Masch to him and he turned sharply to try reach it and pulled up straight after, he looks to be ok but hes gone off for treatment...... oh wait hes actually gone off!! bad news for the pool

game has been pretty even, i think if either had a bit of bite in the last 3rd they would be winning easily

ngog on. good decision. more of a front man than babel.
    good chance for him to show what he can do.

Well done ref!!!

Ngog is coming on, he's looked quite handy pre-season so we'll see if he takes to the er " big match atmosphere"

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Has Keane moved in to Torres's position? (wondering about the formation now as i've no stream)

Has Keane moved in to Torres's position? (wondering about the formation now as i've no stream)

no direct replacement, n'gog for torres

Assume it will be as you were except with Ngog upfront instead of Torres. Have to admit, I don't know a whole lot about him - but he looks tall so should provide an aerial threat.

Assume it will be as you were except with Ngog upfront instead of Torres. Have to admit, I don't know a whole lot about him - but he looks tall so should provide an aerial threat.

couple of lovely finishes pre season, looked to have an eye for goal, decent pace and a good touch.

ffs you have to finish that

- but he looks tall so should provide an aerial threat.

Is that not what Crouch was supposed to be able to do?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He's 6'3 apparently. Slightly taller than Torres

Liverpool are really just sitting off now, inviting Villa to attack them and then when they get the ball they dont have enough maybe creativity is the wrong word? to do anything with it, they just inevitably give it back to villa after knocking it around the back 4

looks like they wanna try and nick the game if possible but as defense minded as possible

You're destroying this thread thus far, well played!

Ha! Yeah, the irony, Except at the moment, Ngog is more willing to sit on the bench than Crouchy is.

kryogen wrote: »
    Liverpool are really just sitting off now, inviting Villa to attack them and then when they get the ball they dont have enough maybe creativity is the wrong word? to do anything with it, they just inevitably give it back to villa after knocking it around the back 4

looks like they wanna try and nick the game if possible but as defense minded as possible

i think we are watching different games altogether.

• Advertisement

we're away from home - this is what we do!!

Ngog nearly :)

By god Masch is king.

Mike

Ah c'mon Dirk. You should have buried that. It this had been a European tie against Milan or something, that would have been in the top corner.
    I have a feeling Ngog will score today

Sh!t, he almost did!!

Best move I've seen Keane make so far. Encouraging!

i know ye do llyod but really dont you think it would be better to be playing with two up top? i mean villa dont play a 5 man midfield and that was the first time we saw keane in front of goal and he almost produced! but the first time in 45 minutes?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

download TVUplayer (it downloads very fast)
    and go to sports and then the soccer channel its on there

it is about 3 or 4 mins behind

GREAT take from Reina.

mike65 wrote: »

By god Masch is king.

Mike

A touch of the Sissoko's with one or two of his passes mind.

Skrtel is going to need to go a bit easy with his tackling. Wasnt a whole lot wrong with that last one but he doesnt was to get sent off for a silly little tackle.

masch has looked good until he gets the ball alright! great def mid though

i know ye do llyod but really dont you think it would be better to be playing with two up top? i mean villa dont play a 5 man midfield and that was the first time we saw keane in front of goal and he almost produced! but the first time in 45 minutes?!

Well, no I don't. During the Evans era we were capable of scoring goals and played an exciting attacking system but would struggle mightily in ties like this away from Anfield. Benitez is all about being tough and organized and preventing the opposition from scoring as a priority. We've looked comfortable at the back thus far and have had two good looks up front. We'll get a couple of more chances in the next 45.

• Advertisement
Advertisement