Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V liverpool [All Pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Poor first half but for the last 5 minutes mainly down to Rafa playing players out of their position. Looking at the Arse yesterday and their thread bare squad but at least Wenger plays his players in their preferred position. Arbeloa is having a mare going forward can't seem to complete any passing. Lucas very light weight and isn't really offering anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villa playing better than last 2 games but we need to change our game, Liverpool are playing reall deep to cancel out our pace so we need to get Carew to drop off and bring Petrov and Barry more into the attack.

Its amazing the difference having Milner on the bench makes, NRC is playing for place and doing a good very surprised to see him out run and out muscle Mascherano.

With Torres off we should be able to defend well enough to keep a clean sheet so we just need to create a few chances, although Carew really should have scored great lay off from Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh and why did Rafa spend 20 million on Keane if he wanted to sign a winger???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, no I don't. During the Evans era we were capable of scoring goals and played an exciting attacking system but would struggle mightily in ties like this away from Anfield. Benitez is all about being tough and organized and preventing the opposition from scoring as a priority. We've looked comfortable at the back thus far and have had two good looks up front. We'll get a couple of more chances in the next 45.

ok, i get your point, but try hear mine, if you want to be challenging for the league you have to impose your own style on teams, not try catch them on the break, go out and attack teams, make them change their players positions, make them think more about containing you rather then attacking. thats what all the great teams do and the realistic title challengers do it too

on an aside, is this rafa's 5th year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

someone should tell Glen Hoddle to take the sun glasses off when sun bathing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

much better movement from Pool with keane more down the middle. Kuyt should have stuck that corner in, nearly a free header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kryogen wrote: »
    ok, i get your point, but try hear mine, if you want to be challenging for the league you have to impose your own style on teams, not try catch them on the break, go out and attack teams, make them change their players positions, make them think more about containing you rather then attacking. thats what all the great teams do and the realistic title challengers do it too

on an aside, is this rafa's 5th year?

It's Rafa's fifth year, yes. But we don't yet have the squad together.

I mean, talk of us imposing our game on a decent side away from home less two world class attacking players is a bit beyond us at this stage of the Benitez reign.

And, while our limitations are there for league football - it is a perfect set up to do well in European competition. Plusses and minuses.

We've fired out of the blocks since the break.

bloody hell, finish it someone.

• Advertisement

Mmmm, I think I'd swap Skrtel for Agger. Not because he is playing bad - indeed I think he has done well. But he's inching towards a red.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

skrtel must be really filthy, dying to get an early shower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We may have to bring Agger on for Skrtel cos he's gonna get himself sent off!!

? i think we are all watching different games :) from what i see now its all villa attacking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mmmm, I think I'd swap Skrtel for Agger. Not because he is playing bad - indeed I think he has done well. But he's inching towards a red.

I'd say Rafa is hoping to get away with it re:Skrtel though so he can bring on Babel and one of Benayoun or El Zahr in about 10 mins.

? i think we are all watching different games :) from what i see now its all villa attacking!

Ah Kryogen. There have been 15 mins in this half thus far - the first 8 were dominated by us!! Good spell for Villa now though I will admit.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the last five minutes. Liverpool started the half well.

Nice defensive header from Davies.:)

Curtis - natural defender! If we keep conceding set pieces in dangerous areas they will score.

oh right, sorry, turned it off at half time and only put it back on about 10 minutes ago :p

cant resist the wind up though anyway ;)

id get skrtel off the pitch soon enough if i was rafa, he is eventually gonna go for one of the silly tackles

milner on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

how serious was Torres' injury? Hopefully he'll be out for a couple of weeks :D

didnt look that serious tbh, looked like a tweak more then anything

Reo Coker has been excellent the whole game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Couple of quick prayers tonight and you near know :D

It's hard to say with that particular injury though. Yes - he didn't severly pull up full pelt or look in absolute agony. But often, any tear is three weeks minimum.

Just serious enough to keep him from International duty. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

My own match on Tuesday will be so much better than this sh1te:rolleyes:

Such a terrible game.

FFS Keane. :rolleyes:

He'll be waiting a while to get another chance like that to open his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Keane's approach to that ball reeked of a man that is low on confidence at the moment.

Reo-Coker.....man of the match so far

• Advertisement

well done Robbie :mad:

SantryRed wrote: »
    My own match on Tuesday will be so much better than this sh1te:rolleyes:

Such a terrible game.

I've thought the second half has been quite entertaining tbf.

I've thought the second half has been quite entertaining tbf.

Shots on target: AV 1 - LIV 0 (all game). I'd rather poke my eyes out

feckin hell robbie, take a touch instead of looking around wondering is someone going to get back to you. if we can't even put chances like that away we are in trouble. would have fancied n'gog/torres or anyone else on the pitch to have made a better stab at it.

lol Andy Gray. Starts on about how Masch hit the ball two heavy etc - cuts to Dossena who is giving the thumbs up and clearly mouthing "perfect". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

IF Villa get a peno, will Barry take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

just watched the last angle they showed of NRC's challenge on Keane, why wasn't it a pen?! I could see it not given as the ref can't see, but why is Andy Gray so certain? keane's kick was impeded by NRC's leg, but NRC didnt make contact with the ball.

Benny on? Babel is DEFFO humping Rafa's moth

flanzer wrote: »
    Shots on target: AV 1 - LIV 0 (all game). I'd rather poke my eyes out

There is more to a game than shots on target!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yea, but they help, fairly poor game for a neutral.

Especially when Robbie Keane is playing

I know! :rolleyes:

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    just watched the last angle they showed of NRC's challenge on Keane, why wasn't it a pen?! I could see it not given as the ref can't see, but why is Andy Gray so certain? keane's kick was impeded by NRC's leg, but NRC didnt make contact with the ball.

usual andy gray made up rubbish. However, 9/10 times you will never get a penalty for something like that once you get the shot in. refs always let it go. If keane had waited a second more and not got the shot in at all gray would likely have said it was a stonewall peno with exact same challenge.

I can't believe Yossi is on. There is now way he'll change this game!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

to be fair to keane. he did well linking things up. N'Gog hasn't really imposed himself at all. Was very much thrown in at the deep end though.

p.s Yossi Smells.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Because:

- Keane misses chance because short on confidence and hasn't settled;

is a more exciting and notable analysis than:

- Keane should have a penalty and Reo Coker sent off;

I'm sensing AV might nick this :o

The amount of long fcuking balls up to Ngog is doin my head in

Another set piece...

We have nothing up forward at this stage!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement