Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V liverpool [All Pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

missing torres and gerrard really takes the teeth from the attack.

Keane chance was the one for us. Easy enough chance to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I said I'd take a draw, when you play a top 4 side and they don't have a shot on target thats a good day at the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

did either team deserve to win the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I suppose the draw was inevitable. Fair result in the end, although Villa finished the stronger! Pity to draw with Chelsea doing the same also, but seven points out of nine from the first three games without playing well or anywhere near what we can do is fairly decent.

Without doubt though, Reo-Coker...Man of the Match. Great all round display!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Could anyone tell me what rafa was at today? Seriously?
    This is why we have no chance of challanging for the premier league this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Poor game for the neutral. Only saw the second half but it was a real snore fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

A joke of a performance. And judging by Barry's performance, he wouldn't cut the mustard at Liverpool. Even if Rafa played, let's called it, his worst players in their best positions we might stand a chance, but he's playing his worst players in their worst positions. Fcuk sake, when Torres went off the pace went, yet no sign of El Zhar or Babel, but Aurelio (played out of position, no pace) and Benny (god only knows his position, no pace). Terrible terrible performance, and it'll take yet another 3/4 months before Rafa knows his team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Draw will do me, thanks.

If that Liverpool side challenges for the PL anytime soon I shall eat my shoe.

Villain wrote: »
    I said I'd take a draw, when you play a top 4 side and they don't have a shot on target thats a good day at the office

meh, the shot on target stat is a bit of a silly one. would you not have preferred carew to go for the corner, rather than hit it straight at Reina?it's a shot on target for the stats, but didn't have a chance of going in.

N'gogs effort just deflected over the bar and alonsos one looping just over the bar onto top of net were much closer to goals.

Besides Alonsos long range effort in the first was going in wasn't it? how is that not a 'shot on target'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Disgraceful lack of ambition by Benitez today, he truly hasn't a clue how to win the Premiership.

Also, today's an example of why no-one wants to watch Liverpool play - anti-football at it's worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Poor game for the neutral. Only saw the second half but it was a real snore fest.
    As a spectacle it was a fairly tepid affair alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Savman wrote: »

I'm afraid you're gonna be going hungry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus, dunno why Yossi came on instead of Babel :confused:

P*ss poor match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

All i want for christmas is those 92 minutes back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That was depressing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll take the draw. Losing Torres so early was unfortunate, Ngog did well initially when he came on but seemed to tire badly and became less effective as the game wore on - particularly in the last 20 minutes.

Overall, we were quite good defensively. Villa played the ball direct and early and tried to hit their strikers and build off their knock downs and lay offs. However, Carra and Skrtel handled most of this comfortably - particularly when dealing with Carew who lost the physical battles throughout the 90 mins.

Young was kept fairly quiet as Liverpool defended him with discipline and got double cover back when possible. Mascherano was particularly excellent when he didn't have the ball - popping up all over the place to win the ball back. He also contributed well with driving runs into opposition territory in the second half.

In terms of the flow of the game, Liverpool had good spells either side of halftime during which they looked more likely to score. They also carved up the clearest opening of the game. Penalty? Well, Reo Coker (who was absolutely exceptional the entire game) made contact with Keane as he was about to hit the ball. And he didn't make contact with the ball. Whether it was a penalty or not - it wasn't clear cut one way or the other. Despite what Andy Gray may have thought.

On the whole, I thought Keane was good - working very hard and being bright and creative when he got touches centrally. It will come, needs time is all. Dossena probably had his best game so far - getting to the byline and delivering some good crosses that caused some consternation in the Villa defense. Arbeloa also was better - solid at the back and contributing more with the ball towards the end.

Less Gerrard and Torres, this wasn't a bad performance or result. Aston Villa had a strong closing five to ten minute period, but we defended very well.

I would keep Agger out of the team at the moment. And Babel is either not fully fit or is performing badly in training. In any case, Yossi fitted what we needed at the point of his introduction. He gave us good athleticism and workrate and battled hard.

Seven from nine is alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Liverpool's bench is what lets them down the most.

Chelsea, United, and Arsenal, with fully fit squads, all have a weapon or two that can change the direction of their game. Liverpool don't.

I think Liverpool fans can just be thankful that they have gotten 7 pts so far because the opening two games easily could have ended up like today's result, or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Savman wrote: »
    Draw will do me, thanks.

Liverpool fans and the title remind me of Spurs fans and the top 4. at times it looks like it could be a possibility but its just always out of reach.

The league is just completely segmented up top now.

ManUre and Chelsea are just head and shoulders above anybody. Might as well be a different league. Arse and Pool over a season are well ahead of the rest as well imo.

Its going to be a long time, and take a lot of luck for anything to change up top.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'll take the draw. Losing Torres so early was unfortunate, Ngog did well initially when he came on but seemed to tire badly and became less effective as the game wore on - particularly in the last 20 minutes.

Overall, we were quite good defensively. Villa played the ball direct and early and tried to hit their strikers and build off their knock downs and lay offs. However, Carra and Skrtel handled most of this comfortably - particularly when dealing with Carew who lost the physical battles throughout the 90 mins.

Young was kept fairly quiet as Liverpool defended him with discipline and got double cover back when possible. Mascherano was particularly excellent when he didn't have the ball - popping up all over the place to win the ball back. He also contributed well with driving runs into opposition territory in the second half.

In terms of the flow of the game, Liverpool had good spells either side of halftime during which they looked more likely to score. They also carved up the clearest opening of the game. Penalty? Well, Reo Coker (who was absolutely exceptional the entire game) made contact with Keane as he was about to hit the ball. And he didn't make contact with the ball. Whether it was a penalty or not - it wasn't clear cut one way or the other. Despite what Andy Gray may have thought.

On the whole, I thought Keane was good - working very hard and being bright and creative when he got touches centrally. It will come, needs time is all. Dossena probably had his best game so far - getting to the byline and delivering some good crosses that caused some consternation in the Villa defense. Arbeloa also was better - solid at the back and contributing more with the ball towards the end.

Less Gerrard and Torres, this wasn't a bad performance or result. Aston Villa had a strong closing five to ten minute period, but we defended very well.

I would keep Agger out of the team at the moment. And Babel is either not fully fit or is performing badly in training. In any case, Yossi fitted what we needed at the point of his introduction. He gave us good athleticism and workrate and battled hard.

Seven from nine is alright.

Were you watching the same match we were watching?

Yossi gave good athleticism, workrate and battled hard?... Are you looking for a PR position at the club? :D You're sounding like Rafa! You'll tell me Kuyt did the same!

It'd be looking for a player who's dangerous and'll change the game. None of the subs did. Lennon off the bench for Spurs earlier did that. The whole Chelsea bench do it. Arsenal do it. They looked class yesterday and half their players on the bench are unknowns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

My flatmates a Liverpool fan and he fell asleep during the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I actually felt sorry for my mates that had to sit through that game with me.

Opr

flanzer wrote: »
    Were you watching the same match we were watching?

Yossi gave good athleticism, workrate and battled hard?... Are you looking for a PR position at the club? :D You're sounding like Rafa! You'll tell me Kuyt did the same!

Yes I was. Sorry that I don't have the usual attitude of the football fan, i.e.:

- we created loads of chances, ergo we were awesome we can rule the world;
    - we didn't create loads of chances, ergo we are absolutely rubbish and terrible and must change everything NOW;

Yossi came on with a few minutes left in the game and did work hard. I didn't claim he was technically magnificent or dominant. But he got his head to a few things and chased things down and helped us out.

I don't think taking off Kuyt for Auriello was a prticularly wise move. I'd leave Kuyt there quicker than swapping him for a left - back by trade. That was a head scratcher of a decision - but Babel is obviously doing something wrong behind the scenes.

However I stand by what I wrote when you go through everyone's performances. Kuyt, Ngog, Alonso and Keane all had chances. No, on this occasion none of them were on target and were goals - but another day one of them goes in and you take the three points. Unlike you, if that had happened I wouldn't have assessed the performance any differently. We didn't win or score - but we performed better than the previous two games and were without two players that carry the potential of 45 - 50 goals a season.

Patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Villain wrote: »
    I think Villa have a good enough squad now to expect to win all their home games. You should be expecting to win all your home games regardless of opponent.
    The match was pathetic to watch. Liverpool are horrible to watch at the moment. I expected a lot more from Aston Villa today, before the match began I would have expected them to control this game with the wide players they have. But all we seen was a horribly negative game of football.
    I still think that Villa will be up there challenging for a top six place.
    I am certain that Liverpool will not be in contention for PL honours after seeing all of their games so far. I don't see where they are going to get their goals from, and there is no spark in that team its just the same drab football that we have seen from Benitez for the last couple of years.
    We had boring boring Arsenal under George Graham
    We now have boring boring Liverpool under Rafa Benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Disappointing game & result for Villa, with Torres and Gerrard out Liverpool were more toothless then my granny going forward, so really its not that big a deal we kept a clean sheet.

Gabby & Ashley were kept quiet by Pools defence so well done to them but its a shame Villa couldnt even muster 1 decent attempt on target.

NRC with an excellent tackle on Robbie Keane was good, Gabby was quiet and Ashley Fizzled but never quite got into the game.

But at least it goes to show that Villa can be as dull & anonymous as any top 4 team, epic lolz to those on thread that thought Pool might 'stuff' Villa and that us Villa fans were 'spouting off'!

Furthermore, the formation changed about 3/4 times in the first 10 minutes, a think a clear sign of the manager that doesn't know what he's doing.

I've never seen any of the top 3 sides change the formation so much in a game barring injury/substitutions

• Advertisement

NRC with an excellent tackle on Robbie Keane was good, Gabby was quiet and Ashley Fizzled but never quite got into the game.

how is it an excellent tackle? he didn't get anywhere near the ball.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

First 3 matches of the season are a write off performance wise.
    Thankfully they are not a write off points-wise.

We need to settle down and play our game. We need to see this teamsheet every week:

Reina

Arbeloa Carra Agger Aurelio

Alonso/Lucas Masch

Gerrard Keane Babel

Torres

As things stand, they are our best 11 players in my opinion. I don't care who comes on after 70 minutes (Rafa never subs tactically before then under normal circumstances). I don't want to have to see players coming on to change games much. Get our best 11 playing in their best positions (I insist that Gerrard should not be in a position that sits him directly in front of the back 4), and get some rhythm going.

spockety wrote: »
    First 3 matches of the season are a write off performance wise.
    Thankfully they are not a write off points-wise.

We need to settle down and play our game. We need to see this teamsheet every week:

Reina

Arbeloa Carra Agger Aurelio

Alonso/Lucas Masch

Gerrard Keane Babel

Torres

As things stand, they are our best 11 players in my opinion. I don't care who comes on after 70 minutes (Rafa never subs tactically before then under normal circumstances). I don't want to have to see players coming on to change games much. Get our best 11 playing in their best positions (I insist that Gerrard should not be in a position that sits him directly in front of the back 4), and get some rhythm going.

Why Agger? Skrtel has been excellent imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

copacetic wrote: »
    He didn't give away a peno?

Sh*te game - Liverpool still have a lot in the tank - just not sure who or what is gonna spark them into action. It's getting worrying.

Having said that, we were playing a supposedly good side today, away from home without our 2 best players for the most part, using a strange formation and with 3 players still settling into the team - and we didn't have much to worry about. So as Lloyd said, at least the defence is looking decent, we probably would have conceded 1 or 2 goals last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Drawing away to Villa is a better result than drawing at home to Spurs, losing to Fulham away and drawing with Newcastle at home.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote: »

ah, that's a new defintion of an excellent tackle alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

A pretty boring game all round. But a decent result for villa, althought I thought we could have won it, if we'd a bit more tooth up front.
    I think it shows why we need another striker who can offer something different up front for games like this.

On the Reo-Croker tackle, I don't think it was a peno. He didn't connect with keane until after the shot was taken. He came across in front of him and keane connected with him on the follow through on the shot. Although I want to see another view of it to be sure

Villa had an equally good call for one in the first half when carragher was tugging out of carew, so was fair that we both didn't get one.

PiE wrote: »

Sh*te game - Liverpool still have a lot in the tank - just not sure who or what is gonna spark them into action. It's getting worrying.

Having said that, we were playing a supposedly good side today, away from home without our 2 best players for the most part, using a strange formation and with 3 players still settling into the team - and we didn't have much to worry about. So as Lloyd said, at least the defence is looking decent, we probably would have conceded 1 or 2 goals last season.

Who or what is gonna spark them into action?? A home match against Utd perhaps??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eagle eye wrote: »
    I am certain that Liverpool will not be in contention for PL honours after seeing all of their games so far. I don't see where they are going to get their goals from, and there is no spark in that team its just the same drab football that we have seen from Benitez for the last couple of years.
    We had boring boring Arsenal under George Graham
    We now have boring boring Liverpool under Rafa Benitez.

I concur.
    I feel sorry for Liverpool fans who have to watch that style of football which is frankly garbage.
    Benitez is providing absolutely no entertainment value with the brand of football he has been producing over the last few years.
    He is still sending his teams out with the foremost attitude of not conceding a goal .

It denied Keane from having a clear run at the keeper, but tbh Keane would've probably fluffed it anyway.

Difficult to see what positives Villa can actually take from the game other then a clean sheet, i think Carews relative anonymity today highlights the need for Villa to bring in a decent alternative to him.

All in all a point is an ok outcome, but with Spurs, WBA & Sunderland coming in September after the break Villa really need to crank up a gear after some mediocre performances like today so far this season, hopefully the new signings will have bedded in and we wallop the above mentioned!.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

No.
    Seriously?

Yes seriously, Stoke gave Villa a harder time then your lot, says it all really :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I concur.
    I feel sorry for Liverpool fans who have to watch that style of football which is frankly garbage.
    Benitez is providing absolutely no entertainment value with the brand of football he has been producing over the last few years.

Neither did Mourinho when he won back to back titles though in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

All round decent performance today from the team considering the Gerrard and Torres injuries. Thought we created a couple of good scoring chances and we are improving match on match in the understanding of each other with the new players. Says a lot for how good a manager Rafa is when you think the team is not firing on all guns yet but is joint top of the table:). Very good outlook for the rest of the season when the new players bed in. Tabloid fans will say that we are awful to watch etc... but im not worried about that in the slightest.Winning the league is more important than your style of play.Thought villa would be upfor the match more but on the day looked 2-3 players short of a fifth place finish this year. 18m for Barry could have brought them in that revenue for 3 decent players but on todays performance that price dropped a good few million. Dossena looks like he a class act going up the line and can defend to boot (unlike riise)...:rolleyes:

Yes seriously, Stoke gave Villa a harder time then your lot, says it all really :pac:.

What does it say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Ha Ha Ha. Says it all really that Liverpool are so bad at the moment and your lot still cant beat them at home without our two best players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

mike65 wrote: »
    Interesting. Possibilities, no?

(Spurs hold Chelsea)

Mike

unfortunately Mike you were right, it didn't give us any possibilities. I was extremely sceptical about our line-up and i voiced those concerns on these pages especially Babel being left out and approx 3 players out of position. (Lucas, Keane & Kuyt sorta)
    Very unlucky to lose Torres and i'm glad Ngog got a decent run in a game like that. Bringing on Aurellio as a LM and Benayoun on was a joke tbh. Auriello is a full back not a winger, end of.
    Benayoun has been extremely poor this season. Worse than what i've seen of Babel so why did he get the nod. Benayoun did the exact same thing when he was at West Ham, run of good games followed by performances where he gives nothing. I know a West Ham fan very well and he hated the incosistency. I though he was an iffy signing but ok if he was used very sparingly. For my likeing he's used too often. I don't think him replacing Keane was ever a move to win the game.
    Extremely frustrating.

Drawing away to Villa is a better result than drawing at home to Spurs, losing to Fulham away and drawing with Newcastle at home.

Im sorry does this draw give more points than those other draws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

1803: "Rafa simply has to go, I'm sorry, I recognise his achievements but apart from the defence he seems to buy the right players and play them way out of position. Also Kuyt is horrendous! Wouldn't look out of place in a Doncaster shirt, no offence!"
    deathtopop on 606
    Join the debate on 606

This sort of post has the potential to make me angry. You are entitled to your opinion but really, potting Rafa the day before the transfer window closes, three Premier League games into a new season. It just does not make sense.

Well said Paul Fletcher.

Im sorry does this draw give more points than those other draws?

Nope, but Liverpool are getting slaughtered here and yet we have seven points out of nine while playing sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jebus is it too early for Rafa Out! posts? ;)

Be to serious thats was poor, quite why he had Babel doing warm ups and then doesn't play him sure dioes my head in. I caught the lasy 20 mins on TV and by that point it was clear he'd settled for not loosing, obviously you can argue this is not stupid as a point gained is better than 0 points for us and 3 for them.

However when you see Ngog isolated 40 yards from the next grey shirt with 3/4 Villa defenders for company a little bit of me dies.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Tabloid fans will say that we are awful to watch etc...

Not tabloid fans ,football fans.
    People pay big money to go to watch football matches nowadays.
    I'd expect to be paid to watch that match today.

sounds like we won't have as many snipers and digs going in for the next few liverpool games threads as no neutrals will bother watching. what are the chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

OK result, dire performance.

Cant believe Rafa didn't see the withdrawal of Torres as a chance to pair Keane and Kuyt up front and allow Babel at the left back :confused:. That could have caused more problems than Ngog (felt sorry for the lad he was isolated too often in the 2nd half).

Don't agree with those calling for Rafas head after 3 games and 7 points, I'll give him the season and if improvement is there - happy days. Otherwise Rafa is walking on thin ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

sounds like we won't have as many snipers and digs going in for the next few liverpool games threads as no neutrals will bother watching. what are the chances?

no they will be watching.. We're like a car crash, they can't resist. We lose and they come on and spout sh't and if we win, they didn't see the game.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So.

It was a nice day at the lake with some friends or sit in and watch the Pool minus Gerrard play Villa.

I thought about the match and went to the lake. Looks like the right decision.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement