Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa V liverpool [All Pre/during/post match discussion here]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Not tabloid fans ,football fans.
    People pay big money to go to watch football matches nowadays.
    I'd expect to be paid to watch that match today.

you are EVERYTHING that is wrong with modern football.

if you want a fluffy entertainment, then go to the circus or theatre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Half the people on here had their mind mad up by Andy Grays biased commentary before the match was over. How is today's result any worse than Chelsea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

People look forward to the new season because of all the nonsense that goes on during the summer, and yet three games gone, seven points out of nine and 2nd in the table...idiots are calling for Rafa's head. Here's the rule, unless you come up with an alternative that will not have you laughed out of town, please don't post ridiculous Rafa out messages!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The result is the same but I suspect Chelsea tried to win their game.

Mike

Mike, Chelsea were at home. Against Spurs who look seriously ****e this season.

We were away, against the only team that looks like they could genuinley offer any sort of challenge to the top 4 over the next couple of years. and we were also without our 2 best players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

The Rafa out mob are usually here to get a rise out of people. Dont rise to it. Support your club and manager and remember we are not Newcastle or Spurs...We judge the manager at seasons end not after 3 or 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

monkey9 wrote: »
    People look forward to the new season because of all the nonsense that goes on during the summer, and yet three games gone, seven points out of nine and 2nd in the table...idiots are calling for Rafa's head. Here's the rule, unless you come up with an alternative that will not have you laughed out of town, please don't post ridiculous Rafa out messages!!

Has anyone called for Rafa's head on here. I certainly haven't. But there is nothing wrong with questioning his selections here. Especially for real liverpool fans, it's good to question the decisions that are made imo.
    I had a big problem with some of Rafa's selections last season and i was very disappointed today with the line up and i think my fears were realised with what i saw today.
    I'm not expecting champagne football but i am also not happy with poor football with players out of position and not a single shot on target.
    Players also need to take the rap on this for a mediocre performance. They should still be good enough to work the Villa keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, well the gospel according to Sky Sports has it that Liverpool never try to win a game and if football geniunes like Glenn Hoddle and Jamie Redknapp 'can't see what Rafa is trying to do' then who are we mere mortal to argue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Mike, Chelsea were at home. Against Spurs who look seriously ****e this season.

So we we against Middlesborough last week and that performance was nothing to write home about and I put Middlesborough on a par against Spurs. There was gasps of relief from the crowd when the ref blew the whistle after Gerrard scored. We daylight robbed them of their victory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Game was boring as pants.
    But happy we came out of Villa Park with a point without Gerrard playing, with Torres lasting 30 mins and finishing the game with Ngog, Aurelio, Benny and Lucas.

• Advertisement

I was joking (look for the ;) when in doubt)

Mr Alan the point I was making is that regardless of who you play the point of a league game is to win it, not say ah we'll settle for just the one point with half the game still to unfold. The nature of the subs sent out a very negative signal to Liverpool players and once again alerted every other team to Liverpools lack of cut and thrust.

When Torres left Keane should have been charged with leading the line with Ngog, and Babel on the left (Riera better bloody sign). Kuyts subbing was okay as he must have been shattered after the Leige game but instead of Aurelio it should have been El Zhar we might just have won.

Rafa saw only consolidation, not potential. 0-0.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hardly mon ami,hardly.
    I'm an old school football fan .
    If you want to see a proper football match I suggest you switch on Sky Sports 1 now where you will see a match where
    a)Players try to pass the ball
    b)The onus is on attacking
    c)You wont fall asleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is nothing wrong with looking for entertainment in soccer. You look at last years league champions, they were so exciting to watch, same with the Arsenal who finished third, Chelsea were not so exciting but compare to Liverpool they would be a seriously entertaining side to watch.
    So basically the three teams that finished ahead of Liverpool provided some sort of entertainment in comparison to said Liverpool team.
    There are games where you don't see goals but you admire the way the game was played, but Liverpool are consistently boring to watch under Benitez. They play a very negative game which is more about not conceding than actually going out and winning matches.
    Some of your posts are just so poor and lacking any real substance.
    If you want to make a post like the one above, please have the decency to provide a solid argument to back it up.

Hardly mon ami,hardly.
    If you want to see a proper football match I suggest you switch on Sky Sports 1 now where you will see a match where
    c)You wont fall asleep

The onus in football is on winning. Pretty football is icing on the cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

The nature of the subs sent out a very negative signal to Liverpool players and once again alerted every other team to Liverpools lack of cut and thrust.

Mike65, when I seen this I instantly thought of last season against Reading, not something I wish to be reminded of. I would have understood holding for 0-0 if Torres had been sent off and not injured.

Hardly mon ami,hardly.
    c)You wont fall asleep
    gixerfixer wrote: »
    The onus in football is on winning. Pretty football is icing on the cake.
    I don't see where he said he wants pretty football.
    Again, the onus is on attacking, and they try and pass the ball. That is entertainment to me in football. Negativity from start to finish is not good football in any mans language.

flanzer wrote: »
    So we we against Middlesborough last week and that performance was nothing to write home about and I put Middlesborough on a par against Spurs. There was gasps of relief from the crowd when the ref blew the whistle after Gerrard scored. We daylight robbed them of their victory!

But we tried to win that game until the end, that was the point i was trying to make. Rafas cautious approach today can be deemed understandable. now tbh, sometimes i'd prefer we went to the jugular a little more. but Rafa has had success before, so lets hope it happens again.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with looking for entertainment in soccer. You look at last years league champions, they were so exciting to watch, same with the Arsenal who finished third, Chelsea were not so exciting but compare to Liverpool they would be a seriously entertaining side to watch.
    So basically the three teams that finished ahead of Liverpool provided some sort of entertainment in comparison to said Liverpool team.
    There are games where you don't see goals but you admire the way the game was played, but Liverpool are consistently boring to watch under Benitez. They play a very negative game which is more about not conceding than actually going out and winning matches.
    Some of your posts are just so poor and lacking any real substance.
    If you want to make a post like the one above, please have the decency to provide a solid argument to back it up.

Since Rafa has arrived at Liverpool;

Istanbul-probably the greatest final of all time. anywhere. ever.

Olympiakos-you want entertainment? that game will last in the memory for most football fans forever.

West Ham (FA Cup final)-one of the greatest finals ever played in the oldest club competition around.

Arsenal in last years CL quarter final.

Thats MASSIVE stages and games alone, i could also recall numerous league/cup demolitions provided, the likes of Besiktas,Fulham,Derby,Arsenal,Luton etc

Liverpool provide more than their share of amazingly entertaining football.

I just dont expect it every week, unlike others.

AND there is something wrong with fans who just want entertainment from football, they are missing the point altogether for me, granted everyone wants to be entertained from time to time, the above games prove that we do that though. for me, football is about more than that. My beef is with the modern plastic football fans who i run into over at Anfield, or down the pub who expect champagne football all the time, and are pissed off if they dont get their monies worth after their trip. these fans are a sham imo and should be locked outside the shankly gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ardent wrote: »
    I hope we batter the sh*te out of Villa on Sunday. O'Neill was the singularly most annoying twat in the transfer market over the summer and deserves a good beating. Would be great karma.

Was away for the weekend so missed this thread and the match. Just home now. This post made me smile.

Great karma, eh?

Since Rafa has arrived at Liverpool;

Istanbul-probably the greatest final of all time. anywhere. ever.
    Olympiakos-you want entertainment? that game will last in the memory for most football fans forever.
    West Ham (FA Cup final)-one of the greatest finals ever played in the oldest club competition around.
    Arsenal in last years CL quarter final.
    Liverpool provide more than their share of amazingly entertaining football.
    I just dont expect it every week, unlike others.
    The interesting thing about these games is that Liverpool were behind in all these games at half time. They had no choice but to play attacking football and low and behold what happens, we see them play outstanding football on each occasion.
    If a team are capable of playing this football, tell why they go out every week and look to play boring, drab negative football?
    You have actually made my point and that of the analysts on sky thats mentioned above. What is Benitez trying to do. He has the footballers, well maybe lacking width this season, but he has the footballers who can go out and win matches like the ones you mentioned but he doesn't want to see them do this unless they have their backs to the wall staring defeat/elimination.

I don't see where he said he wants pretty football.
    Again, the onus is on attacking, and they try and pass the ball. That is entertainment to me in football. Negativity from start to finish is not good football in any mans language.

Yeap because the Italians play negative football and have never won anything. I state my point again. The onus is on winning not attacking or pretty football.

• Advertisement

Yeap because the Italians play negative football and have never won anything. I state my point again. The onus is on winning not attacking or pretty football.
    Are you trying to compare the current Liverpool set up to the great AC Milan teams of the late eighties early nineties, I hope not.
    Expand a little, can you name those Italian clubs that have succeeded in playing negatively for a whole season and won the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Are you trying to compare the current Liverpool set up to the great AC Milan teams of the late eighties early nineties, I hope not.
    Expand a little, can you name those Italian clubs that have succeeded in playing negatively for a whole season and won the league?

pretty much only every team under Arrigo Sacchi. Rafa's studied the man and there are clear signs in everything liverpool do on the pitch that are geared towards the old milan style.
    "My ideas are near to the Milan of Arrigo Sacchi. I like technical and aggressive teams that don't allow the opponents to play. I like teams that play the ball with speed and look to score with as few passes as possible." - rafa benitez

its both our biggest plus and our biggest failing imo.

we dont allow other teams to play, we feed on their mistakes and counter. this generally works well on european teams that try to play good football and attack us.

i think where this style often fails us is against the weaker teams, when we're left in control of the game. the other team are not giving us the ammunition we need to pounce, they arent attacking us, theres nothing to counter, little space.

we have little imagination, run out of ideas fast. imo its the reason we struggle so much against teams we should on paper be beating fairly handily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

We need to beat UTD at Anfield. Then we can talk about a title challenge

Roma 80's,Sampdoria early 90's,Lazio 2000,juve 2005 and 06 and the national side in World cup 06 to name a few. Do you watch Italian football?

Roma 80's,Sampdoria early 90's,Lazio 2000,juve 2005 and 06 and the national side in World cup 06 to name a few. Do you watch Italian football?
    I don't know anything about Roma in the early eighties except one match against Liverpool.

Sampdoria were an exciting side to watch in the early 90's, Lazio iirc were under Sven that time, and they played exciting football. And Juve, what are you talking about?

National sides are completely different.

Arrigo Sacchi was over a brilliant Milan team and they were far from negative.
    If Benitez likes his style then why has he no wingers, a la Donadoni?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

They had a good squad , and won a few things consistently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

more anti football 10 behind the ball rubbish from liverpool

shouldve put them away

shocking miss from carew in the first half

id say barrys delighted he didnt move to play that dross

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Helix wrote: »

shouldve put them away

:rolleyes:

shouldve put them away

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha the bitterest little man in town :P joke

• Advertisement

why on earth would anyone be bitter of that tripe? liverpool showed nothing at all to suggest villa wont be competing with them come the business end of the season

and thats not me saying villa will be challenging for 4th

Nah Everton or Spurs will be doing that. Ahem.

Mike

shouldve put them away

Brilliant constructive post. A real insight into the game and not bitter in anyway at all. More of these kind of posts needed here.

:)

273083641-soccer-barclays-premier-league-aston-villa-v-liverpool-villa-park.jpg

lol

some of the chants were hilarious today i have to say

Brilliant constructive post. A real insight into the game and not bitter in anyway at all. More of these kind of posts needed here.

:)

i dont see how its bitter? what is it with scousers deciding that anything negative about their team being said is out of bitterness? if pool were even a fraction as good as some scouse fans seem to think they are, they wouldnt be going to villa to play for a draw with 10 behind the ball would they

273083641-soccer-barclays-premier-league-aston-villa-v-liverpool-villa-park.jpg

lol

some of the chants were hilarious today i have to say

lol? rafa is a bit chubby and he is spanish, and there was a waiter in fawlty towers who was spanish? is that the joke? good one. racist stereotype much? surprised the stewards let that stand.

• Advertisement

i agree, its a disservice to spanish waiters

this bloke wouldnt play a £20m striker on the left wing

icon_cover2_nov26,0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

copacetic wrote: »
    lol? rafa is a bit chubby and he is spanish, and there was a waiter in fawlty towers who was spanish? is that the joke? good one. racist stereotype much? surprised the stewards let that stand.

Wow, someone needs a humour transplant:rolleyes:

Wow, someone needs a humour transplant:rolleyes:

really? so someone at liverpool end puts up a 'o'neill is just a skinny Paddy ditch digger' or similar. is that then funny too?

copacetic wrote: »
    really? so someone at liverpool end puts up a 'o'neill is just a skinny Paddy ditch digger' or similar. is that then funny too?

no

rafa however looks like a fat spanish waiter, hence the sign

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sure anyway, this'll be easy. Villa are ****e, for f*ck sake
    I can see Liverpool winning comfortably.
    spockety wrote: »
    I expect Liverpool to win
    Liverpool will win by 3 or 4 goals

i liked these ones best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

i liked these ones best

In fairness, there are a number of posts on this thread from Villa fans that are equally as petty.

Some of the nonsense posted of this thread is beyond belief.

Neither team deserved to win this game. We can go around circles as to why Liverpool fans are delusional thinking that they will win the league with that team just as much as we can about Villa fans thinking that they are good enough to genuinely challenge for 4th place.

As for the comments about Rafa being nothing but a fat Spannish waitor. Everton fans regularly come out with the same nonsense. Most would dismiss it as jealously or bitterness. I could get petty and point out his achievements since he joined the club versus those of all but 1 manager in the league over the same period of time, but sure, whats the pioint..

we mightnt challenge for 4th place, but theres no reason we wont challenge liverpool. and as i said earlier thats no guarantee of challenging for 4th
    As for the comments about Rafa being nothing but a fat Spannish waitor. Everton fans regularly come out with the same nonsense. Most would dismiss it as jealously or bitterness. I could get petty and point out his achievements since he joined the club versus those of all but 1 manager in the league over the same period of time, but sure, whats the pioint..

again with the bitterness comments

do liverpool fans think every other fan in the world is jealous of them or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

why on earth would anyone be bitter of that tripe? liverpool showed nothing at all to suggest villa wont be competing with them come the business end of the season

and thats not me saying villa will be challenging for 4th

Villa won't be in the top four at the end of the season.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Villa won't be in the top four at the end of the season.

i never said they would

i was quite clear in my post to point that out too

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

i liked these ones best

In my defence I said it was based on nothing and it was mainly sheer hope, thanks.

i still liked it best

you should be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

i still liked it best

you should be happy

I like this reply, you must be very important, I am delighted, over the moon even, that you liked my post, cool.

i never said they would

i was quite clear in my post to point that out too

I just felt like reiterating something factual given the high levels of delusion in your post.

So if neither team playing today is going to be in the top four then, who is? No, infact don't bother answering - any answer you make will be lol ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Interestingly the bookies, or SkyBet at least, fancy Villa's chances of finishing in the top 4 more than Liverpool's chances of winning the league.

Barclays Premiership 2008/09 - Win Outright
    Liverpool 13/2

Barclays Premiership To Finish In Top 4 2008/09 - Win Outright
    Aston Villa 9/2

Both worth a fiver imo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Interestingly the bookies, or SkyBet at least, fancy Villa's chances of finishing in the top 4 more than Liverpool's chances of winning the league.

Barclays Premiership 2008/09 - Win Outright
    Liverpool 13/2

Barclays Premiership To Finish In Top 4 2008/09 - Win Outright
    Aston Villa 9/2

Both worth a fiver imo

If you hate money, then yes they are. I wouldn't start backing either until it drifted to 20 / 1 or more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement