Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who organises the entertainment in the SU?

• 25-08-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

damnit, i went and put the question in the title.

who runs and organises gigs etc in the student union?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

dunno about the student union but there was a gig society that "helped" but wasn't exactly fantastic. you're probably better off dealing with the venues yourself, mate of mine did it last year and got a good few gigs going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

aye - we normally do that. I was hoping though that there was some organisation within the college than ran college gigs ....? is that a thing of the past these days?

no not necessarily. I think i know who's in charge of gig soc this year, i'll have better info when i get back down to carlow. i'll try and find out for you though. music soc and gig soc though would be the places i'd recommend checking though when college starts up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I will be well involved in tht society hopefully :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

is there no Ents officer in the SU anymore?

yup, her name is Àoife Gorey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Entertainment in my last few years was non existent but for the regular Halloween/Xmas/Easter Balls and Rag Week.

There was a time, there was a new act in every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

bring back Ricky D

That was his name right?

edit: It was Richie D I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

Entertainment in my last few years was non existent but for the regular Halloween/Xmas/Easter Balls and Rag Week.

There was a time, there was a new act in every week.

I second that! Entertainment in Carlow is pretty much non-existant, apart from the events you mentioned above, which are pretty much an overpriced entrance to the Foundry. As Red said, I dealt with the venues directly for getting gigs, and that is probably a much better route. If anyone is interested in organising a few gigs in Carlow this year, hit me up and we should be able to sort something out. A couple of pubs in Carlow would be more than happy to accomodate us, especially if we can make some attempt at reviving the hollow rotting husk of a music scene that the town has (apologies for the imagery ;) )

• Advertisement

Id be more then happy to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

A7X wrote: »
    Id be more then happy to help!

Thats good man. At least I know you have good taste in music :)
    I've discussed this at length with alot of mates in Carlow, people who would love to go out on a Tuesday or Thursday night to see a gig, but can't because there is no scene at all. I'm sure there is alot of people out there who would love to go get drunk and sweaty at a gig than spend all of their money in the Foundry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fitzcarraldo

Did my head in not having a regular gig night last year, especially considering we have a gig soc. Also there is no Indie/Alt Club night anywhere in the town and I was thinking of starting one this year somewhere.

We ran gigs for the past two years with one or two punters showing up to support the bands in the Underground. carlow is a disgrace when it comes to live music as no-one bothers their arse supporting it.

iamhunted wrote: »
    We ran gigs for the past two years with one or two punters showing up to support the bands in the Underground. carlow is a disgrace when it comes to live music as no-one bothers their arse supporting it.

Yeah ii could imagine it would be =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

i would love to go see some live acts, was in buzzes one night their at the start of the summer and there was a great live act doing metal covers!

i would also love to have my hand at organising some bands to go live around carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

aynon wrote: »
    i would love to go see some live acts, was in buzzes one night their at the start of the summer and there was a great live act doing metal covers!

i would also love to have my hand at organising some bands to go live around carlow.
    Big Generator kick ass...

Advertisement