Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disconnecting an old alarm that doesn't work

Options
  • 25-08-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 97 3series which has an alarm connected to it. Only problem is I never got a fob or anything with it. I have tried to get a replacement one but I was told it was too old :eek:

I don't mind it as it never goes off or anything but my problem is that when my car is not used for some time it drags the battery down. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to either disconnect it or getting a fob. I can't remember the model of the alarm but it is a fairly mainstream alarm.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well an Alarm of that age, yes i would have to say it is rather old. Not ridiculously old but old enough not to be able to get a fob. Your better off finding the control box and the siren and pulling it all out.

The Control Box is probably located under the passenger side if the dash Siren is in under the hood. Its going to take time tracing the cables back to source. But if its just the power you are worried about then just remove the same. Tend to be Red and Black. But are open to other colours depending on the installer.

In short you will have to locate the control box and remove the power cables form the car's wiring loom. Incidently, how long do you leave your car lying around to warrant it pulling the battery power down??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Well my last battery died last week but I had previously had trouble with the altenator so that prob didn't help. I am off on holidays for 2 1/2 weeks and am just a bit worried it will pull the battery down. There is also a blue tooth for my phone connected. Should I just disconnect the battery or could that cause problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You could disconnect the battery, It will leave your radio memory blank . So make sure you have the codes for that when you re-connect. Other than that it shouldnt cause any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

If the alarm is not being armed chances are its not draining your battery,generally an alarm wouldnt drain more than a few miliamps,nowhere near enough to drain a battery unless its over a long period of time.

Dont go gun ho and start snipping wires if you dont know what your doing,if theres an immobilisor and you cut the alarms power the cars not going to start,your literally going to have to trace each wire in that case and rejoin the immobiliser cut

Advertisement