Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop spammers from using your email?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Can anything be done to stop spammers from using your email in the reply-to address?

My setup: I have my own domain name, and it has a mail redirect to my google email. This means that any mail for the domain in the end is forwarded to gmail.
    I send from gmail but set my reply address to an address ending in my domain name.

Some spammer uses my email within my domain in the reply-to field. Of course I can't stop this, but the problem is that many people that are mailed don't exist or have an automated reply of some sort. This means I get 400 bounced emails.

Is there really no way I can add some sort of authenticity to my emails? I tried SPF but I don't think it works, or maybe I didn't set it up right.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

What about using google apps (insted of just forwarding to your g mail) That with spf should sort you out ..
    www.google.com/a

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Sorry Johnnie, I don't understand how Google Apps can work? Could you explain?

Is there anyone out there that successfully used SPF to reduce spam? I have the impression it doesn't work, not even a bit?

Could I add some signature to the emails that I send and if i get a bounced email from a fake email account using my domain name, it is automatically flagged as junk? (as it doesn't have my signature?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

SPF relies on the receiving server checking the SPF record. As a lot of people/companies don't set up their mail server to check SPF records, it often doesn't help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

Its really depends on your situation,if you have your own company mail server then the following steps would be a good start.

1.Add in an SPF (Sender Policy Framework) http://www.openspf.org record to your DNS xone file for your domain.
    2.Implement Greylisting at either the gateway level or directly on your mail server if it supports it. http://www.greylisting.org
    3.Implement a spam filtering that will tag emails with an invalid sender,some MTAs eg exim will do this out of the box.
    4.Implement rate limiting on the MTA if it supports it (Most do).

That should stop most of your spam issues.

Some other wonderful nasties,this will also help you deal with.
    1.Bounce backs with false sender addresses.
    2.Dictionary harvest attacks

Regards

John Doyle

Advertisement