Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia - Skilled Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

Options
  • 25-08-2008 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Anyone here ever applied for one of these? Making plans to head over next year and prefer to go with an indefinite time scale and be able to work in my currently line of work (ie keep my pay level)

I seem to have all the requirements during the pre-test (have a hons degree in it, 3 heading for 4 years post college exper. and speak german) puts me up at 134 points, says 120 is practically. It all seems a little pricey tho if it comes in at about €3000 to get your visa plus solicitors fee!

All advice welcome! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Do you have to do it through a solicitor?

I'd definitely go for it if you will definitely get it. You'll earn the €3,000 back in a few weeks in a proper job as opposed to some minimum wage gig, which is all you will get on a working holiday visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Daithio wrote: »
    Do you have to do it through a solicitor?

I'd definitely go for it if you will definitely get it. You'll earn the €3,000 back in a few weeks in a proper job as opposed to some minimum wage gig, which is all you will get on a working holiday visa.

The €3000 is the application fee but I think you have to get it certified that you are fully qualified in the area which you are applying to work in. e.g. they're looking for IT people, doctors etc so that need to know that ur not just out of college, they want fully qualified ready to work staff

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah pricey because that’s the way the Aussie Gov wants it. Stops every Tom Dick n Harry applying.

You would need to have your skills accessed by one of the Aussie assessment companies depending in what your skill is .

Take a look at Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)

As for the solicitors don't think you need one but its best to go through a migration agent. As they will be able to check your app is all correct before you apply. Saves you a lot of wasted time.

Hope some of this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

Hey Guys,

Anyone here ever applied for one of these? Making plans to head over next year and prefer to go with an indefinite time scale and be able to work in my currently line of work (ie keep my pay level)

I seem to have all the requirements during the pre-test (have a hons degree in it, 3 heading for 4 years post college exper. and speak german) puts me up at 134 points, says 120 is practically. It all seems a little pricey tho if it comes in at about €3000 to get your visa plus solicitors fee!

All advice welcome! :)

175 application costs 2 x $2200 (AUS) installments plus the fee for your skills assessment. Certifiying docs for the visa can be done by many other than a solicitor, Bank Managers, Gardai etc. Docs for most skills assessments must be done by solicitor or Commissioner for Oaths / Peace Commissioner. You'll get a reasonable price for certifying docs from any decent Peace Commissioner in most towns. Have a look at http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

You'll find all the info you need on applciations and forms there. Waiting time is in and around 6 - 8 months at the minute for online apps but this seems to be shortening. Some folk use agents but they add little value to an already expensive process. Online application is quite simple really and unless your circumstances are complicated which they don't seem to be you'll easily do it yourself.

Advertisement