Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

If it was me I'd either go for the Audi or the BMW. I've had a 318 and an A4 tdi and there wasn't much between them in the driving stakes. The BMW probably shaded it but I don't know if the auto would blunt some of the driving experience. I've never driven the 1.8T but its well regarded and will have alot more power than the 318. I wouldn't be interested in the Merc. Its a bit of an old man's car that would be nowhere near as nice to drive as the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I would be looking at reliability as the first concern, then which would be the best to drive?

For reliability the BMW shades it from the Audi for me. The Merc will prob go forever but this model is known for small faults that would drive you mad.

The Merc and especially the Audi will blow the doors off the BMW with its weedy 1.9 4-pot. If you are going for a 318 try to get the post '02 16v with 147hp. its more economical and powerful. Also the auto on this is going to hurt MPG.

My choice would be the Audi. The quattro system will keep you out of the ditches and the 1.8T VAG engine is a peach. The coil packs, turbo wastegate and MAF are common faults with them however. Its probably the easiest on fuel of the 3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget the 318i imo, back in 2001 the 318i had a 1.9 litre engine with only 115bhp afaik. This is pretty poor for a 1.9 litre engine and would image the auto version would be slightly slower. Your paying tax and insurance on a 1.9 litre car with the performance of an average 1.6 litre.

I wouldn't bother with the Merc either as I would be wary of iffy build quality and troublesome electrics, the spec is decent though.

I think the A4 1.8T is probably the best of that bunch and the 1.8T is quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The beemer is the only one from a dealer and therefore the only one with any kind of warranty/comeback - if you're concerned about reliability you should take this into account.

Other than that, 3 very different cars - BMW will be nice to drive, but relaxed with the 1.9 through an auto 'box. The Merc will be very relaxed, but is a very comfy place to be. The A4 will be better if you like to push it on - the quattro never loses grip.

Do you mainly commute or do you get on interesting roads at all?

All 3 seem to have a nice bit of spec.

I can't pick between them. I'd go for the Audi because I like Audi, or if I wanted auto I'd go Merc because it's the most comfortable car. I'd also consider the fact the BMW's from a dealer to be worth consideration.

Do you have a 3-sided coin you can flip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Darren Lamb

Well I would mostly be on the motorway, but not generally moving too fast (peak times). Although it would be nice to head out for a spin if it was an enjoyable drive. (current car is far from fun)

The BMW is from a dealer but it almost looks like a "backyard dealer" so im thinking that he could be gone at anytime (Along with the warranty).

I like the merc but maybe its a car for a little later in life.
    I'm kind of leaning towards the audi at the minute.
    What sort of money would be realistic for that one i posted??

Thanks for all the replies by the way, its deffo helping my decision!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

I'd definitely go with the Audi - the 18.T and the Quattro totally swing it for me.

I tried to buy that Audi [90% sure it was that particular one] a couple of years ago - pretty sure it's the same one. Ballsbridge motors had it I think. They were asking for about 19/20k at the time and wouldn't give me anything off it. That was the only reason I declined. I got it checked out on that website that tells you history and everything was legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It has Foster stickers in it, so it may not be the same car Jabberwocky.

Still a nice one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/C-200/AUTO-KOMP/1132733/

or go with the A4 if you have it narrowed to those 3 particular cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I'd go with the Audi simply because of the turbo

That audi is actually on adverts.ie!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=67474&cat=2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd also hav the audi if i had to choose.I wouldnt think it would be too economical tho.I wouldnt expect more than late 20's in terms of MPG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

d'beamer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

If your gonna be in traffic alot - I would go with the Auto, they simply are far nicer to drive in traffic.

Advertisement