Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interior doors

• 25-08-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of buying pre-finished, pre-hung, oak doors for the interior of my new build. Has anyone done this?

My brother-in-law is doing the carpentry work for me, and I thought that this would save him a lot of time if he only had to put the door frames into place.

So what I'm wondering is has anyone used companies like doorkits or doorsets to buy pre-hung doors? What was the cost like? Were they good quality? Anyone able to recommend a good supplier in the Midlands or North West?

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

reilig wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of buying pre-finished, pre-hung, oak doors for the interior of my new build. Has anyone done this?

My brother-in-law is doing the carpentry work for me, and I thought that this would save him a lot of time if he only had to put the door frames into place.

So what I'm wondering is has anyone used companies like doorkits or doorsets to buy pre-hung doors? What was the cost like? Were they good quality? Anyone able to recommend a good supplier in the Midlands or North West?

Dan

Several years ago, we got 15 solid beech doors supply and fitted, custom made pre-hung pre finished etc etc and they were 1,270 euro a door before fitting.
    The fitting was 127 euro a door extra so just dont get sidetracked on the fitting cost, the real cost will prolly be in the doors unless they are cveneered cardboard/mdf/etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

ircoha wrote: »
    Several years ago, we got 15 solid beech doors supply and fitted, custom made pre-hung pre finished etc etc and they were 1,270 euro a door before fitting.
    The fitting was 127 euro a door extra so just dont get sidetracked on the fitting cost, the real cost will prolly be in the doors unless they are cveneered cardboard/mdf/etc

That's a lot of cash per door. I've seen oak door deals for €140 to €200 each and the frames for €50. Think i'll go with that so and let him hinge, hang and handle them. It will be cheaper in the long run.

I thought that pre hung doors would be pretty competative. Who would bither with them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

reilig wrote: »
    That's a lot of cash per door. I've seen oak door deals for €140 to €200 each and the frames for €50. Think i'll go with that so and let him hinge, hang and handle them. It will be cheaper in the long run.

I thought that pre hung doors would be pretty competative. Who would bither with them so.
    There is a company in Athlone selling prehung solid doors and frames with Oak veneer for €134, handles are about €45 a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dreadnought

I have just purchased 7 oak and 7 pine prehung doors from a company in Lisnaskea with frames and architrave for €2400 plus VAT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i have hung a load of prehung doors.

They are usaly made with cheap hardware. bad pin hinges or butt hinges so thin that they lossen out quickly and lock sets that never really work well

Hardware is the as important as quaility timber. Carol joinery sold us the best quality white oak soilid doors with Basta hardware. terrible result.

Ask for Union hardware. No. 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Slates wrote: »
    There is a company in Athlone selling prehung solid doors and frames with Oak veneer for €134, handles are about €45 a pop

They're in Ballydangan? Aren't they? That's more like the price I was looking at. Do you know what the quality of their doors is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 boots1

Hi dreadnought,
    can you pls post the name of the Co. in Lisnaskea. Do you know where they sourced their door leaf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

boots1 wrote: »
    Hi dreadnought,
    can you pls post the name of the Co. in Lisnaskea. Do you know where they sourced their door leaf?
    Shame on you. Inviting a ban on some poor unsuspecting poster ;). Have a look at the charter.

PM the name please.

or you could just have a look at doughnuts other posts :)

Advertisement