Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know nothing ....

Options
  • 25-08-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I had a very interesting weekend in the company of Rupert Cobb from London.
    He's a Trumpet Player, Producer, Engineer, Pro-Tools and Logic expert. His regular gig at the moment is recording and mixing 'Live at Abbey Road'

He was over in Clara at The Nutshed Studio.

The thing I learned most from him was how very little I know about the DAW software/ Plugins I use.

http://www.logictoolbox.com/ (check out his CV, it's ridic, Herbie Hancock + Postman Pat)

http://www.myspace.com/logictoolbox ( the second track in his Music Player is just him, his trumpet, a Mutator and Echoboy)

Two things especially came to light -
    The obvious, 'I didn't know you could do that' and perhaps more importantly, the rise in productivity by knowing how to use stuff correctly!

How well do you consider you know the Shizit you already own? I'd put myself down as a sad 5 out of 10.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

every day's a school day.

I know about 80% of Pro Tools, logic is a different animal though. The hardware I own I know well.

You may know everything about a piece of kit but I think you'll never know everything about ways to use it. Every time I use a microphone I find out something new.

Is that the same nutshed studio that you work at? ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

PaulBrewer wrote: »

How well do you consider you know the Shizit you already own? I'd put myself down as a sad 5 out of 10.
    I'm humbly working thru the tip of a considerably large iceberg. Learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Paul you cant just say you learned these things without sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

sei046 wrote: »
    Paul you cant just say you learned these things without sharing!

Ah a zillion things .... a lot is on his website.

Using Drumagog correctly etc. for one thing.

The practicalities of shifting mics delay and phase.

Creating rooms for drums that sound bigger, yet natural, compared to the room they were recorded in.

Stuff that doesn't translate into type well, I'm afraid!

80% Studiorat? So that's 80% of what you know there is to know...... what if there's another 25% there you never knew about? Huh?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

I completed Protools.

The end boss is hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

ogy wrote: »
    I completed Protools.

The end boss is hard!

When you beat the boss you rank up , but the ranking system is endless. Have you played through the last level at all I wonder? What controller are you using? Have you beaten everyone on x box live? Unlikely.

PaulBrewer wrote: »

80% Studiorat? So that's 80% of what you know there is to know...... what if there's another 25% there you never knew about? Huh?:confused:

80% or there about it's a computer program it only has a finite amount of functions. All of which are in the manual. Unless of course it makes up its own:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

There was quite a good article in Tape Op a few months back on "High Velocity Sound" part of which stressed the importance of mastery of the gear being used as a means towards being more creative.

I found it to be quite inspiring i.e if you have a "feel" for your gear and know what it can do and how to make it do what you want it to, you can work more incisively and productively.

You have a choice of 4 preamps and ten mics in a given situation. Rather than demo all of them, you make a call and narrow it down instantly to say two mics and one preamp.

The same applies to software, I have seen a few guys using sequencer software, relying primarily on the keyboard shortcuts and barely touching the mouse. This greatly improves the flow of a session and gives things that instant quality, where ideas are realised almost as quickly as they occur, which in turn gives rise to more ideas. A very creative and productive way to work.

There was quite a good article in Tape Op a few months back on "High Velocity Sound" part of which stressed the importance of mastery of the gear being used as a means towards being more creative.

I found it to be quite inspiring i.e if you have a "feel" for your gear and know what it can do and how to make it do what you want it to, you can work more incisively and productively.

You have a choice of 4 preamps and ten mics in a given situation. Rather than demo all of them, you make a call and narrow it down instantly to say two mics and one preamp.

The same applies to software, I have seen a few guys using sequencer software, relying primarily on the keyboard shortcuts and barely touching the mouse. This greatly improves the flow of a session and gives things that instant quality, where ideas are realised almost as quickly as they occur, which in turn gives rise to more ideas. A very creative and productive way to work.

Well put.

That's the Zen bit. Doing the work without thinking about how to do things, just doing it. Like using an EQ without looking at the settings, just knowing what it's gonna do. Most regular DAW operators don't even think about the key strokes, it just becomes second nature.

You do get a feel of how certain combinations of things work from experience, things that are very hard to describe in words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

christ , if you think you know nothing , think how i feel ;-)

DaDumTish wrote: »
    christ , if you think you know nothing , think how i feel ;-)

We both feel the same!! Gives us something to aim for ...

Advertisement