Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Get a 147, its about the coolest thing you'll be able to drive at 18 with a provo. Read up on what to look out for when shopping around.

Why you're spending so much on your first car, i dunno.. you'll probably run it into the ground getting used to driving and you'll want to be rid of it in a year.

Its not my first car, its my second first one was stolen... but didnt claim the insurance... i can drive so i wont run the car into the ground thats why i want a decent car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

147 is a lot of fun. I'm driving one for the last 2 years.
    I think the insurance is rather high on it, and of course you have to be careful you don't get a dodgy one. If your budget stretches to it, go for a 2002 rather than 2001 as they seem to have relatively less problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

Seat Leon, not as run of the mill as a golf but still a cool reliable car built to vw standards that is cheaper than a golf but has nearly the same build quality.

Go for the 1.6 or tdi (90bhp)if you can afford it, with quinn there the same price as a 1.4.

Cant really find a good 147 with 5drs for under 6k... the 5dr model seems to be very scarce...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

master-d wrote: »
    Seat Leon, not as run of the mill as a golf but still a cool reliable car built to vw standards that is cheaper than a golf but has nearly the same build quality.

If you're comparing it to the mark IV golf, that's not a very high target to aim for. It really isn't as bullet proof as VW would have you think.

OP - you'll get a 156 1.6 for that money, which will be a decent enough car. What's the difference between your insurance on a 1.0 and a 1.6?

• Advertisement

Insurance on a 01 Micra Gx 1.0 is €1,891.88...Insurance on a 01 alfa 147 1.6 is €3,188.99

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Insurance on a 01 Micra Gx 1.0 is €1,891.88...Insurance on a 01 alfa 147 1.6 is €3,188.99

In that case I think you're nuts to willingly add that sort of premium at your age.

Get a 1.0, get your test and a few years experience under your belt, and then look at a bigger car.

Its 1300 extra i think it would be worth it for a better car...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

The trick here is to get a car that you like, without paying the €1300 extra. In order words, a cool car, fun to drive with <1.4L (assuming the lower insurance is good up to a 1.4).

You also have to balance it with the fact that you are far more likely to damage your car in the first few years of driving. It doesn't have to be a massive crash to write off a car - an injury-free impact at 30-40mph is sometimes enough. Statistics back this up, so it's best to drive a cheaper, older car for a couple of years.

Luck is on your side: used cars are dirt cheap and there are loads of small cars that are fun to drive. Top of the list, most drivers will agree, is the ford fiesta (or Ka, same car more-or-less), which is why they are raced in single-class events. Get the 1.25 16v zetec (avoid the 1.3 pushrod rubbish), nearly all have alloys, GHIA models have air-con as standard.

They hug corners, rev hard, take abuse, easy to drive, easy on fuel. In the wet, you'd be faster than the 318i on a windy road. Modern Fords (with the Yamaha-sourced Zetec engines) are very reliable and your insurance company will like it.
    http://www.topgear.com/drives/B4/A0/roadtests/02/01.html

Ignore the slagging, take the €1300, and buy a plasma TV and a PS3 for your bedroom, you'll have the last laugh.

(I'll get off the soapbox now!)

Its also personal preference also im not really intrested in a fiesta or ka... was thinking of maybe a 99 golf insurance is 2300 on a 1.4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

Whatever you decide to buy you may want to check out this company for assessing the car before you actually buy it. I've used them and at least then you'll know if there's a major fault with the car you're thinking of buying!

http://www.carcheckireland.com/about.php

Whatever you decide to buy you may want to check out this company for assessing the car before you actually buy it. I've used them and at least then you'll know if there's a major fault with the car you're thinking of buying!

http://www.carcheckireland.com/about.php

How much do they charge?

How much do they charge?

150 yoyos. You get a detailed summary and the guy I dealt with was really professional. I had the report within 24 hours. I think it's worth it as you may be handing out a few grand otherwise on a heap of c*ap

150 yoyos. You get a detailed summary and the guy I dealt with was really professional. I had the report within 24 hours. I think it's worth it as you may be handing out a few grand otherwise on a heap of c*ap

Hmm ill have to see 150 euro just to inspect a car? i could get a mechanic to do it for 50... ok maybe not be as through as that check but still reliable

Hmm ill have to see 150 euro just to inspect a car? i could get a mechanic to do it for 50... ok maybe not be as through as that check but still reliable

Yeah I thought the same thing myself initially but I don't know any decent mechanics who'd travel to check out a car for me! So if you do I suppose that's a different story. They do a finance check on the car too though so that's handy.

I also know of someone who used this company after buying a bad car. The company went to court on their behalf discussing the major fault with the car and they ended up getting their money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Stilo/16V-Avtive/1014530/

Very underated, just had full service(timing belt), cheap to insure, 6speed gear box makes it very nippy in town, Good handling.

You could probably knock another 500euro off the price.

Stilo won't be as good a buy as a Golf, especially when you come to sell it, unless you buy it really cheap and expect to drive it for 3 -4 years at least.

Here is one you might not have thought of
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Colt/cheap-car/1106122/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Colt/GLX-Limited/869284/

kuro_man wrote: »
    Stilo won't be as good a buy as a Golf, especially when you come to sell it, unless you buy it really cheap and expect to drive it for 3 -4 years at least.

Here is one you might not have thought of
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Colt/cheap-car/1106122/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Colt/GLX-Limited/869284/

Thats the idea with the 03 Stilo, 3500euro, fully serviced and 47,000 miles and from a dealer(warranty)

You'd pay at least twice that for Golf and in 3 years I'm sure you'd loose more on the Golf.

Assuming that the Fiat won't give trouble then I agree, its not a terrible buy. However, the OP wants a car with street-cred (no fiesta, ka, polo, micra, jazz, a-class) so I'm afraid that a Stilo just won't cut it.
    A 1999-2002 Fiat Bravo 1.2 16v (3 door) with alloys might make it - its better looking.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Bravo/Bravo-limted/971375/

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm with (CH3)2CHOH on this one. Even if you get nothing back after 3 years, the depreciation is still less than on a Golf. And the Stilo is a much better and imo nicer looking car too

But if I were the OP, I'd buy a cheap supermini and build up a bit of NCB. With all the money saved, he could get a nice car in a year or two and get a very reasonable insurance quote as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Its also personal preference also im not really intrested in a fiesta or ka... was thinking of maybe a 99 golf insurance is 2300 on a 1.4

A 99' golf is going to be clapped out. They are'nt excatly one of the most durable cars around , but they are one of the slowest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

(CH3)2CHOH wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Stilo/16V-Avtive/1014530/

Very underated, just had full service(timing belt), cheap to insure, 6speed gear box makes it very nippy in town, Good handling.

You could probably knock another 500euro off the price.
    That price makes me very nervous, people say the the 16v fiat engine aint as bad as most fiats but its crap! Im drivin one at the min and i cant rely on the car at all. Get somethin decent! 147 is a nice car, i'd avoid the golf too! You're young so i can only assume you want a nice car at the same time as it bein good and reliable. God its a tough one to pick one car tho! But as the lads above me are sayin, get a few more "No Claimers" first then get somethin quick, i've been drivin small cars for two and a half years now and im lookin at buyin a 200sx, only 21 and the insurance is 1800 comp. Not bad for a "YoungFela" in a 2ltr turbo! comin to think of it, id go for a focus or almera. more so the focus

Ok so i just got asked did i want to buy a 97 golf a friend of my dads is selling they were looking for 1600 but my dad can get me it for 1000, insurance is 2300, im going to view it tomorrow. If i buy it im only gonna drive it till like january then trade up, what you guys think? i dont know the mileage yet but it has just had 200 euro put into it and nctd for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Ok so i just got asked did i want to buy a 97 golf a friend of my dads is selling they were looking for 1600 but my dad can get me it for 1000, insurance is 2300, im going to view it tomorrow. If i buy it im only gonna drive it till like january then trade up, what you guys think? i dont know the mileage yet but it has just had 200 euro put into it and nctd for 2 years
    Thats a dreat price, mate of mine paid 4000 for a 98 one jus over a year ago, he got raped but he loved the wheels! Gave him nothin but trouble but if you're only keepin it till Jan then go for it. What'll you get then? Would you not keep it till you get a few more ncb then get somethin fancy/sporty?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You'll have no problem selling the Golf on next year and get all your money back.

Sounds like an ideal solution, keep it till the NCT is up, 1000 euro for 2 years.
    Bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gezas

18 is not very good age to buy a BMW, maybe your next will be, for example, BMW 3.25i coupe, that’s an amazing car!!!!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

buy my car

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Thats a dreat price, mate of mine paid 4000 for a 98 one jus over a year ago, he got raped but he loved the wheels! Gave him nothin but trouble but if you're only keepin it till Jan then go for it. What'll you get then? Would you not keep it till you get a few more ncb then get somethin fancy/sporty?

Was the 98 a newer shape? yea i think ill go with it i still have to view it though think im going to look at it today

• Advertisement
Advertisement