Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Zenit St. Petersburg break Russian transfer record

• 25-08-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

FC Zenit St. Petersburg have broken the Russian transfer record by signing 25-year-old Portugal midfielder Danny from FC Dinamo Moskva for €30m.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=741811.html

Holy crap. Ive never even heard of him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Arshavin out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was he in the Portugal squad for the Euro's? Seems odd for a player to go for that sort of money if he isn't a big name player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tauren wrote: »
    Was he in the Portugal squad for the Euro's? Seems odd for a player to go for that sort of money if he isn't a big name player.

how many people heard of Jo or Elano before they came to the PL? i'd say Titus Bramble would have been more famous than them.

the Russian league is a lot stronger than people realise, it's a pity it gets absolute no coverage here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how many people heard of Jo or Elano before they came to the PL? i'd say Titus Bramble would have been more famous than them.

the Russian league is a lot stronger than people realise, it's a pity it gets absolute no coverage here.

had heard of them both, especially Elano, and neither was 30m were they?

I have heard of Jo, and I had heard of Elano. Elano I knew less about though, to be fair. My point is that if the guy is good enough to command that sort of fee, surely he would be a regular international for Portugal. Maybe he is though, i dunno, thats why i asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

They could be paying well over the odds though. Remember when Abramovich first arrived to Chelsea? Any player they targeted would suddenly jump in value because the selling club knew it could squeeze out an extra few million. Still, it's a pretty hefty fee.

Just did a quick search, he wasn't in Portugal's squad in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

But Elano only cost about 12m euros. Jo is very well known to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tusky wrote: »

I heard of both but never of him if im being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Tusky wrote: »

and i thought elano played in the ukraine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

and i thought elano played in the ukraine?

yeah you're right. my mistake.

i still believe my point was somewhat valid, both Jo and Elano really had very low profiles before signing, and the fees seemed somewhat inflated given most people's opinions here of the Eastern European leagues. but Elano in particular has turned out to be something of a gem, so they can't be as bad as people think.

as for him not playing for Portugal, that could be simply a case of the small exposure the Russian league gets here. that happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

tbh the reason the price is so high is due to the money in the russian league it takes vast sums of money fr clubs to consider sellin their best player which other clubs have...thats why you see these over inflated prices..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

30 millions for guy i never heard before?!?!?! Are these russians wacked or what,they could buy top class player for that money,whats the point to do something like this? Except if they dont come with offer of 300mil for Messi ,than this guy payed 30mil would sound ok....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

30 millions for guy i never heard before?!?!?! Are these russians wacked or what,they could buy top class player for that money,whats the point to do something like this? Except if they dont come with offer of 300mil for Messi ,than this guy payed 30mil would sound ok....

Maybe this bloke is top class. The thing is, most players in the world class category mightn't want to play in the Russian league. It seems a league to make your name in rather than to inspire to play in.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Maybe this bloke is top class. The thing is, most players in the world class category mightn't want to play in the Russian league. It seems a league to make your name in rather than to inspire to play in.

True,not interesting to play in leagues like russian but today theres no league you cant make player to play it if you just give him enough of money?

You think arabian leagues are more interesting than russian?

True,not interesting to play in leagues like russian but today theres no league you cant make player to play it if you just give him enough of money?

You think arabian leagues are more interesting than russian?

Yeah, but the Arab leagues really only attract the players nearing the end of their careers and looking for the last big windfall

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, but the Arab leagues really only attract the players nearing the end of their careers and looking for the last big windfall

Also true,but you still can see these days how many players are ready to change club for another and risk their career just for few euro more in pocket even they have perfect position and conditions in club they are at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Big foreign players playing in the PL or La Liga wouldnt go near the Russian lge, otherwise the Russian clubs would be buying up loads of great talents. Its not only due to the football quality being lower (but not that much lower it must be said) but due to the differences in lifestlye ie its extremley cold etc

Its a pity Pavelukenko or Arshavin never got their move to the PL, would love to see how they would of got on.

Im hoping Zenit give a good game agaisnt United, they're a very good technical and skillful team plus im sure they'll be well up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Its better than the irish league - no one is saying that it isn't. What is your point again?

What's the LOI got to do with this?? We're discussing a player moving for thirty million within the Russian League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I dont get you, the EPL is far better than the Russian league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

€30m for a 25 year old with 1 Portuguese cap. :eek: A Russian guy in my job says it's crazy money and can't believe he's gone for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

They shoulda just bought Rivaldo, now he's gone to Uzebekistan! =P

Advertisement