Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are rivalrys Such as pool V Utd a posative or a negative for soccer in general

• 25-08-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Sell out attendances
    Thrilling games

Damages
    Some people might go a bit ott

Opinions please . . .

Well Is it . . . 29 votes

Posative
    0% 0 votes
    Negative
    82% 24 votes
    Other please explain . . .
    17% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

****e

i clicked negative instead of positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I think its a posative overall but it has negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Get Firefox.

RasTa wrote: »
    Get Firefox.

Wha . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

In Ireland,

It has some positives...I Love the Liverpool United banter. COming into work after losing to them can be a daunting experience, Im wone of those fellas that dont mention anything when United win. I get the feelin people are sayin "look at the fooker, glowin after United poxying it". Its great

But then I think, its such a pity we're not going on about Rovers vs Pats, or Bohs vs Drogs etc... I'd love it if that were the case. Friendly banter about Irish clubs. Dont get me wrong Im a big supporter of Man United, but since living in Dublin these few years I go to Bohs games and have become a fan.

Some of my mates think Im stupid for goin. Saying "the standard is sh!t", "going to the games will never improve Irish soccer", "soccer is for scoabs" even. I disagree.

Pool United banter is good, just wish there was more of the Irish club banter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nothing in this world will give me greater pleasure than taking over Liverpools league totals.

Trilla wrote: »
    In Ireland,

It has some positives...I Love the Liverpool United banter. COming into work after losing to them can be a daunting experience, Im wone of those fellas that dont mention anything when United win. I get the feelin people are sayin "look at the fooker, glowin after United poxying it". Its great

But then I think, its such a pity we're not going on about Rovers vs Pats, or Bohs vs Drogs etc... I'd love it if that were the case. Friendly banter about Irish clubs. Dont get me wrong Im a big supporter of Man United, but since living in Dublin these few years I go to Bohs games and have become a fan.

Some of my mates think Im stupid for goin. Saying "the standard is sh!t", "going to the games will never improve Irish soccer", "soccer is for scoabs" even. I disagree.

Pool United banter is good, just wish there was more of the Irish club banter

I was just using Liverpool V United as an example I ment any rivalry:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ajeffares wrote: »
    I was just using Liverpool V United as an example I ment any rivalry:)

Oh I know, I was using those two as examples too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    Nothing in this world will give me greater pleasure than taking over Liverpools league totals.

Come on Rafa! dont let it happen!!!!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

PHB wrote: »

And nothing in the world gives me greater pleasure than the fact that it's never gonna happen!;)

• Advertisement

And nothing in the world gives me greater pleasure than the fact that it's never gonna happen!;)

You tell em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do you wanna bet on that?

United will have the record by the start of the 2013 / 14 season at the latest barring some seismic shift in the current relative strengths of the premiership clubs.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

United will have the record by the start of the 2013 / 14 season at the latest barring some seismic shift in the current relative strengths of the premiership clubs.

By, 2013/14 the world could be run by a race of super inteligent space monkeys!

I'm just being a fan, and putting my fingers in my ears while shouting "nah nah nah I can't hear you".

The result.
    Liverpool are the greatest team to ever lace on boots.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rivalry by defintion is a good thing, it makes people strive to be better than their competitors ensuring survival of the fittest thus making us all better.

It's when it becomes more than rivalry that it becomes negative.

Rivalry exists in GAA far more than soccer. You can sit with opposing fans at a GAA game knowing that 99.9% of the time things will be fine (the violence usually occurs on the pitch!). There will be slagging and banter but no digs.

You can't say the same for soccer though... one of the main reasons imo is segregation. Rather than rectifying the problem I think it's one of the main causes of the problem as it affirms that it is a problem and that there's something wrong with opposing fans as they're not "allowed" in the same area you're in. Unfortunately this attitude won't be changed any time soon.

By, 2013/14 the world could be run by a race of super inteligent space monkeys!

I'm just being a fan, and putting my fingers in my ears while shouting "nah nah nah I can't hear you".

The result.
    Liverpool are the greatest team to ever lace on boots.;)

Well, I'm a Liverpool fan - and can face the reality that, as far as the record is concerned, we're tied to the train tracks while they choo choooo towards us with no signs of stopping.

train1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Why ask a stupid question, if the soccer world didn't have rivalrys like;
    Boca – River Plate
    Widzew Lodz - LKS Lodz
    Red Star Belgrade - FK Partizan

and the Turkish and Brazil derbies.

Using Liverpool and United as a rivalry, compared to the matches I just named is tiny.

Well, I'm a Liverpool fan - and can face the reality that, as far as the record is concerned, we're tied to the train tracks while they choo choooo towards us with no signs of stopping.

train1.jpg

13-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

Ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Utd are only a title behind Liverpool at the moment. It mightn't even be that long unless we can get some money to buy quality instead of buying 'make do' players!

And the answer to the thread is yes, of course, rivalry is a good thing in football.....and all sport!

13-1.jpg

You win this round I guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

For me all rivalries are good and bring good fun so far as they dont start fighting and killing each other which started to happen unfortunately....least here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Trilla wrote: »

Think most EL fans (that I know anyway) have an EPL team...I was born in Manchester, moved here when I was young, but didn't stop liking United, even though I'm Rovers. I'd love if there were some people here in work to have some EL banter with too.

As for rivalry, on the whole, it's a positive thing, but the EPL rivalries seems to involve so much non-football, cult-of-personality, and utterly pedantic sh*te that it does make me laugh sometimes.

But overall, rivalry between ANY teams with an actual real history is what makes football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

good for football. not good for this forum

Jazzy wrote: »
    good for football. not good for this forum

what would we talk about if not rivalrys:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement