Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hillstart in Automatic Test?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

hi everyone

I have my test this Thursday in Naas :eek:. I have an automatic and i was wondering if i will have to do a hill start as my instructor hasnt done hill starts with me? Also wondering if anyone has done the test in Toughers?

thank you & a great site :O)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No need to worry about the hill start, it's the one manoeuvre that's omitted as most automatic cars "auto-creep" which makes it as simple as releasing the foot brake and accelerating.
    Best of Luck on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mcgraw

thanks very much. i'll be a nervous wreck but fingers crossed!!!
    will let you know if i pass :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

hi donegalfella

i know that and thanks, i'll never go back to a manual, I had one when i first started driving and i hated it! i left it a bit late to drive and i was far to nervous especially doing the hill starts!! anyway fingers crossed for thursday!!!!!

• Advertisement

hi donegalfella

To be honest i can never see myself going back to a manual but then who knows down the line what can happen! at the moment i LOVE my auto!

any tips for the test? dont like rescue remedy so thats out !

:D:D

umm never thought of it like but i suppose i better pass my test first!! ;)

will be back on Friday with the result!! :rolleyes: and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mcgraw wrote: »
    hi donegalfella

i know that and thanks, i'll never go back to a manual, I had one when i first started driving and i hated it! i left it a bit late to drive and i was far to nervous especially doing the hill starts!! anyway fingers crossed for thursday!!!!!

hi donegalfella

To be honest i can never see myself going back to a manual but then who knows down the line what can happen! at the moment i LOVE my auto!

any tips for the test? dont like rescue remedy so thats out !

:D:D
    mcgraw - please use normal size text! Thanks.

sorry i dont understand about what you mean about size?

regards

• Advertisement

sorry i dont understand about what you mean about size?

regards
    :confused:

Some of your posts are appearing like this

It looks correct font when i type in box?? :confused:

apologies if im doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Everything looks normal on my side of things, there is some scheduled upgrade work going on with the site, perhaps this is the reason?
    All is well Mcgraw, no need to worry. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you don't get it this time, defo get some practice behind the wheel of a manual for the next time. I'm a big believer in autos but if you have your driving/ rules/ roadcraft sussed otherwise, adding manual shifting into the mix won't hurt you too much...

grand, i thought that might be the problem alright!! LOL :D

thanks

It looks correct font when i type in box?? :confused:

apologies if im doing something wrong?
    Everything looks normal on my side of things, there is some scheduled upgrade work going on with the site, perhaps this is the reason?
    All is well Mcgraw, no need to worry. :).
    Apologies mcgraw - I'm not sure what's going on. Your posts are appearing in "size 2" on my screen! :confused: :eek: :D

sorry WA - what size are they meant to be??

apologies again..im new today :D

thanks cant decide.. i'll see how i get on Thursddy, i havent been
    driving that long but fingers crossed for me! :) have you done your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

thanks cant decide.. i'll see how i get on Thursddy, i havent been
    driving that long but fingers crossed for me! :) have you done your test?

Got it in 2001.

I have the bike test on Friday. I'm confident but that doesn't mean I won't end up sobbing on here come Friday Afternoon!!!

Good luck with the test.

• Advertisement

Well for you! fingers crossed for you also! i hope both of us are
    celebrating at the weekend or thursday afternoon for me !! :D

sorry WA - what size are they meant to be??

apologies again..im new today :D
    No need to apologise as it's obviously not your fault. Text appears in normal default size unless the poster decides to alter it. Your posts are back to normal now.

Apologies folks for bringing this off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

hi donegalfella

A lot of learners have been in that "space" before. I quite remember my own learning days, and I lost count of the number of times I had thought "jeez this manual transmission stuff is a load of nonsense, the Americans have the right idea." Particularly when I had just jerked the car during a gear change or stalled at a junction for what seemed like the millionth time.

For that reason, I would suggest to anyone doing the car drivers license test in Ireland, or indeed anywhere in Europe, to get your full, unrestricted driving license first, then decide on whether to drive standard or automatic long term. To make that choice beforehand given the resultant limitations IMHO is foolish.

I got over my - rather immense - problems with manual transmissions (as many do) and now I have a full, unrestricted Cat B driving license. Yet, I could go into the car dealership tomorrow and buy a car with an Automatic Transmission, because noone in driver licensing or anywhere else gives two rats behinds what I drive. But now, with drivng a standard transmission being 2nd nature to me, I don't really feel the need to do so.

I cannot off-hand think of any reason why this cannot be the same for you.

But your situation does raise an interesting question, and made me curious about this:
    If you take out a driving license with the 78 (Automatic Only) restriction, can you use your driving license to sit a new driving test in a manual car, or do you have to go through the whole eyesight report, DTT, 6 month wait, deal again to take a new driving test?

SeanW wrote: »
    I got over my - rather immense - problems with manual transmissions (as many do) and now I have a full, unrestricted Cat B driving license. Yet, I could go into the car dealership tomorrow and buy a car with an Automatic Transmission, because noone in driver licensing or anywhere else gives two rats behinds what I drive. But now, with drivng a standard transmission being 2nd nature to me, I don't really feel the need to do so.
    I used do a bit of work now and again for a bus company. They have a fleet of about 40 buses and are forced to purchase new ones with auto transmission as they are finding it increasing more difficult to get drivers with unrestricted D licences.

However, as I have an unrestricted D licence, I was usually assigned one of the few manual vehicles that are still around while most of the other drivers get to drive around in auto luxury. :( One of their shuttle routes involved 2,500 gear changes during a shift :eek:. My left leg used to be numb and stiff ! (Now they have an auto on that route :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

That is incorrect. You need apply again for a learner permit to drive and do the test in a manual car.

Correct about the theory bit

J_R wrote: »
    That is incorrect. You need apply again for a learner permit
    I was thinking that myself.

A restricted Driving Licence couldn't be used as an unrestricted Learner Permit!

hi all

I wonder will i be asked questions about an automatic because i drive one?? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

While on the topic...

How easy is it to transition from Manual transmission to Auto? I drive a Manual like the majority of us here, but hypothetically, assuming an emergency situation or whatever...

How easy is automatic in relation to Manual? Is it just 2 pedals? Brake and Accelerate?

I still feel like a jackass having to do all these gear changes (yes I'm lazy) :cool:, but when buying cars second hand you have a much better choice of manual cars. That's the main reason I went manual.

Advertisement