Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hillstart in Automatic Test?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The transition is as easy as it can get really, accelerate pedal to go, brake pedal to stop. Your left leg gets to rest on the foot rest the whole time. Just shift into D and off you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mcgraw

The auto is the best thing since sliced bread!! :O) maybe i took the easy way out but i was just far to afraid in the manual. I got beeped out of it so many times when it stalled on me, going up hills etc. It really got my confidence up and theres lots of 2nd hand autos for sale nowadays.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

mcgraw wrote: »
    The auto is the best thing since sliced bread!! :O) maybe i took the easy way out but i was just far to afraid in the manual. I got beeped out of it so many times when it stalled on me, going up hills etc. It really got my confidence up and theres lots of 2nd hand autos for sale nowadays.
    :D:D:D

Was it just the car- was it a real POS? Don't underestimate how many cars are actually difficult to drive. Especially the ones that are used often as learners cars. Even modern ones. My mother had a drive by wire stilo and it was impossible. The diesel was 100 times easier to drive without stalling or revving out.

Was it just the car- was it a real POS?

sorry i dont understand the first line?? :D blonde!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Was it just the car- was it a real POS?

sorry i dont understand the first line?? :D blonde!

Sorry- it's a motoring technical term that's short for Piece Of.... well, you get the rest!

• Advertisement

thats a new one for me! the car was grand, it was just me!!
    i left it to late to start learning and so i wasnt very confident when it came to the gears etc. i used to dread driving home a mile in evening
    as i had to go up a little hill!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hi all

I wonder will i be asked questions about an automatic because i drive one?? :cool:
    I'm not sure if there are specific questions relating to autos in a test.

Just make sure you leave it in Drive at traffic lights but apply the parking brake if appropriate. From what I read here, some instructors have been telling pupils that they must move the gear selector to Neutral when stopped in traffic/at lights! :rolleyes:

(PS - is your parking brake foot or hand operated?).

thanks WA..I read somewhere, maybe i read it here that if you put it in Neutral, its bad for the gear box so i think your just meant to leave it in D
    and handbrake up? though my instructor keeps telling me to put in N?
    i dont really want to tell him thats wrong or should i just put in N
    the day of the test in case the examiner doesent know that?! LOL :D:D:D
    its hand operated!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's designed to be left in Drive. Putting it into Neutral places unnecessary wear on the gearbox and defeats the whole purpose of having an auto.

Is your instructor familiar with instructing in an auto? He may just assume that it should go into Neutral!

Any instructors/examiners out there who care to comment?

i dont know if he is or not WA.. I'll just leave in "D" on thursday? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Good luck tomorrow mcgraw!

Advertisement