Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got an impact driver?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience of using a (cordless) impact driver; are they any use, do they offer any significant advantage over a regular cordless drill/ driver? I know they can be useful in some applications but I've no real experience in their use. As a matter of interest I wonder would anyone else support the idea of a deicated forum on "tools" and "tool buying"? I buy a lot of tools up and down and it would be great to check out other peoples experiences with certain tools, brands etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 markhoran@eirco

HI Jack of all,
    Although they look like a smaller replica, don’t confuse a cordless impact driver with a standard cordless drill or hammerdrill. The biggest difference is inside. Unlike a cordless drill - which creates continuous in-line torque – a cordless impact driver uses an internal spring-loaded pulsating cam and gear mechanism to create rotational torque. In simple terms, the effect is similar to that of a hammer wrapping on a wrench to loosen a stubborn lug nut, only faster.
    Cordless impact drivers work like a typical cordless drill until greater torque is needed, at which point the spring and cam mechanism kicks in, with up to 3,000 blows-per-minute (bpm) to increase the torque by almost triple the amount of a cordless drill (e.g. DeWALT’s12-volt cordless impact driver develops 1,000 in/lbs. of maximum torque compared to 350 for a 12-volt drill). And, unlike a hammerdrill, the bit doesn’t “hammer” in and out while rotating – it maintains contact with the fastener even as the hammering effect occurs inside the tool.
    Another significant difference is torque delivery. With a cordless drill, the user must literally hold on to counter the tool’s tendency to spin out of his hands. However, with a cordless impact driver the torque is converted directly to the fastener. You can easily hold the tool using one hand without noticing any reactionary torque. This means you can drive fasteners all day long without the arm fatigue or wrist kickback normally associated with a conventional drill/driver.
    Hope this explains it to you ! we have added the hitachi ones to our site you can check them out at http://www.tools.ie/index.php?cName=cordless-tools-impact-tools&osCsid=d91be25c2baaf50bc3580e83ca3548cd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great reply thanks!

Jack of All

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

On same topic, on recommendation I got this Makita Lithium Ion kit last year.

Since then, via Ebay, I added a torch that takes the same battery.

Personally, I feel it leaves DeWalt standing in terms of weight and charging times. There is also an LED light which comes on with trigger to illuminate drilling/driving area, which at first I considered a gimmick, but is actually great when working in darker areas.

Yep, my favourite piece of kit!

To markhoran@eirco: re tools.ie
    Lovely site, a bit slow to open for me, but a great selection.
    As there is no shipping info, contact addrerss or number or T&C listed yet, I presume it's still a bit under construction?
    Could you let us know if listed prices are exclusive of VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks Andrea B., always interested in feedback from other tool users. Can you tell me what kind of work you use the impact driver for?

I'm not a big DeWalt fan myself, although I do have one of their small sliding chop saws (which is excellent I must say) and a 10 year old cordless drill which is still going strong. I've been buying mostly Bosch and Makita in recent years. I'm told that Bosch are every bit as good as Hilti in the rotary drill class....they certainly are more affordable in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I have a Makita Impact driver which I got free with a regular 14.4V Makita cordless drill... some great technical info there from Mark Horan.. in my case the regular Makita cordless drill can deliver about 35N of torque, whereas the impact driver delivers four times as much at 140N.

The impact drivers are very loud however...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 markhoran@eirco

Hi Lads, sorry for the late reply, I havent been on this site for a while, any way all shipping, terms etc. are all up now. ive changed the pricing to show both prices (inc vat +exc. vat)
    Open for business !
    If you guys have any ideas on how I can improve it please let me know !

mark
    www.tools.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hi Lads, sorry for the late reply, I havent been on this site for a while, any way all shipping, terms etc. are all up now. ive changed the pricing to show both prices (inc vat +exc. vat)
    Open for business !
    If you guys have any ideas on how I can improve it please let me know !

mark
    www.tools.ie

IMO if u dont have the product dont have the heading listed: mega irritating.

Also are edit and new makes of tools?

CORDLESS TOOLS-> (47)
    MARQUEE/SWIFT SHELTER-> (5)
    NEW CALIPERS-> (74)
    NEW GAUGES/DIAL GAUGES-> (103)
    NEW INSTRUMENTS-> (29)
    NEW MEASURING SETS-> (10)
    NEW MICROMETERS-> (85)
    NEW RULES AND ANGLES-> (146)
    NEW SCRIBING AND MARKING-> (89)
    NEW TOOLSTARS COLLECTION-> (19)
    DRILLING & SCREWDRIVING-> (8)