Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Distilled Water

Options
  • 25-08-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where i can get Distilled water ? for adding to coolant??
    in Cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Just buy pre-mixed coolant - you don't need to track down distilled water then as it's already in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

VH wrote: »
    Just buy pre-mixed coolant - you don't need to track down distilled water then as it's already in it

Great :)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Halfords in Mahon Point definitely sell it.
    I'm not so sure that the premixed stuff is suitable for all engine types. Maybe one of our resident professional mechanics could advise?
    There's different coolant for mixed metal engines, etc. I think there was a debate on here a while back about whether the colours of the coolant give an indication of the contents of the coolant, red, green, orange, blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I really don't think it matters. Something else will kill the car long before non-distilled water will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

maidhc wrote: »
    I really don't think it matters. Something else will kill the car long before non-distilled water will.

yes very true and that will probably be me :P but they do recommend that you should use it especially with aluminum head and RAD. Water from the tap had contaminants that can cause electrolysis which can cause early component failure like the water pump fr example

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    water pump, thermostat and rad are all eaten by tap water and will fail prematurely because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

coolant has anti-corrosive properties - once you are not using tap water on its own or in a very hard water area, it should be ok. If you want distilled water, any motor factors should have it

• Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Or any pharmacist. Should only be a few euro for a 5l container

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

is the water from a dehumidifer distilled? have to buy a battery from the states and it comes dry..(for a spam can plane)

nope, in the same way rain water isnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Water from the reservoir of a condenser drier should be fine.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

esel wrote: »
    Water from the reservoir of a condenser drier should be fine.

Never thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have to say that I've never heard of adding distilled water to the coolant system. I know it's recommended for topping up battery cells.

As posted earlier, add coolant as it has anti corrosive properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

VH wrote: »
    water pump, thermostat and rad are all eaten by tap water and will fail prematurely because of it

+1

True & i learned the hard (& expensive) way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It's about €5-€6 for 5 litres. It's hardly going to break the bank, for peace of mind it is a €5 well spent.

Advertisement