Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRO & My Place Of Work

Options
  • 25-08-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is exactly the right forum for this.....

We have recently received a letter here at work from IMRO (Irish Music Rights Organisation) cos apparently we have to buy a license in order to play background music. I was wondering what music falls under their jurisdiction? for instance, could i get away with playing my own stuff? (as in music I myself have produced?) and are sites like Artistserver.com exempt? or is it just a blanket rule covering absolutely everything?

Any advice from people in the know will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

When recorded music is played, the artist is owed royalties. IMRO collects and distributes these royalties. Most businesses have to get a license to cover radio play in public/work place. Pretty sure there are varying degrees of licenses for live performance etc.
    Dunno about playing your own music... if it's original and you own all the royalties then I reckon it'd be grand, but if it's a recording of someone else's work then you need a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think if it's your own you're fine. You own the copyright and can authorise its use for play where you see fit (and if you want to pay yourself royalties from the business I'm sure you're entitled!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good response from Brian May on this very topic a couple of weeks ago on his site[HTML]http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html[/HTML]

**Wed 13 Aug 08**
    PRS

[Brian was asked for his opinion on companies being charged a PRS fee to play radio in the workplace.]

I'm not very familiar with this area. We have an arm's length relationship with this side of the business - it's not something I'm directly involved with. But I was aware that PRS normally asked for a charge for the business use of radio.

It's a hard one, really I suppose. I guess if you are a small business, these times are not easy, and perhaps paying for music is the last straw. But there is another side to this.

What the PRS does is make sure that people who make music can make a living from it. If you are a young musician starting out, it is harder than ever to even make a living wage - certainly the days when you could record a track and put it out and expect to make money from it are more or less over, thanks to the general attitude of people who use the Internet and expect to get everything for free.

We are lucky that we can actually play our instruments, and can go out on tour, because even for us, the revenue that we can make from CD's is plummeting very fast.

I guess you want to play music in a store to make the atmosphere pleasant, and encourage people to shop there. Perhaps the price you have to pay seems high, but if you are now running your shop in silence, you are effectively telling us all that you think our music is not worth paying for.

Cheers
    Bri

© brianmay.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Regarding Artist Server, the music is availible under creative commons licence for the most part. I have my stuff set at Level B so no commerical use (unless you ak first of course). Level C material is free for all.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

imro will collect royalties for any band registered with them. if you arent registered then you'll be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

christeb wrote: »
    I guess you want to play music in a store to make the atmosphere pleasant, and encourage people to shop there. Perhaps the price you have to pay seems high, but if you are now running your shop in silence, you are effectively telling us all that you think our music is not worth paying for.

Cheers
    Bri

© brianmay.com

Yeah to be honest he sounds like a total gimp there. Hey Brian! I just paid 20 euro for your new CD, also I'd love to pay you (again) to play it in my place of work too, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I saw A Night at the Opera priced at 33 euros in particular music store many people shop in., It was fcking ridiculous to expect anyone to pay that amount of money. Album prices are extortionate, ideally they should be arounnd 9-10 euros. That would be fair. Though I agree with the general sentiment of Brian May's post. Musicians have to make a living too, and filesharing has devalued music to some extent. At least if you pay for it you recognize that its worth something, when you part with your cash for it. So companies paying for music to be played, why not...the problem as I see it is that paying for albums and ticket prices are grossly expensive and most of the revenue from that goes back to the record companies to pay big fat salaries. So the whole model is corrupt imo, (though I haven't studied it in depth for four hours every week)...and there has been a backlash starting mostly with napster and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

mike65 wrote: »
    Regarding Artist Server, the music is availible under creative commons licence for the most part. I have my stuff set at Level B so no commerical use (unless you ak first of course). Level C material is free for all.

Mike.

Thanks for that, so would it be ok to stream level c material form artist server without incurring the annoying wrath of the IMRO?

Advertisement