Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom upgrade

Options
  • 25-08-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i am on the 2 meg connection and im due the upgrade to 3 meg, but everytime i ring to find out why i have not been upgraded im told its done in batches and will be in due coarse, which i think is bull to be honest i think there blagging me off,

here is my line stats

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 57.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

do i look like i can handle 3 meg?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

[QUOTE=A+-Guru;57024107
    Line Attenuation (dB) 57.00 31.50
    [/QUOTE]
    i doubt it tbh, 57 attenuation is very high, i have 47 and max out at 4096 download, you might just about make it, but your pings will go up

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Your attenuation looks very high, you may be able to get 3MB, but anything above that is unlikely. Is your modem/router plugged into your main telephone socket (usually in the hall) as mine wasn't and i was getting an attenuation of 39, and I connecte the router to the main telephone socket and got an attenuation of 19 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I had a similar experience up until today. We were due to get upgraded on the 9th August from 2Mb to 3Mb but the upgrade never came so we waited as someone else said they were doing it in batches. Today, though, we rang and at first he gave the standard response of "it's a very big upgrade and it will take a while for everyone to avail of it" but when told that our neighbours have gotten upgrade he changed his tune and we were put on hold for a while. Then he said to turn off the modem and wait while he was typing something in. After it was turned back on the modem was syncing at 3072/384:)

Try being pushy, demand the upgrade and mention that all your neighbours have gotten it or something alone those lines;)

My line is borderline anyway (atenuation of 51 and snr of 25 before upgrade) but after the speed increase kicked in attenutaion went up to 52.5 and snr plummeted to 18! Nevertheless I'm getting the full 3Mb d/l speed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

No one has mentioned your SNR so far but it looks very low and an upgrade may result in regular disconnects.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

dub45 wrote: »
    No one has mentioned your SNR so far but it looks very low and an upgrade may result in regular disconnects.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
    it should be fine, 6 or below is when in BB hell( been there for a year with 5.5 ), also bearing in mind that the SNR fluctuates, should only reduce by ~3 for the upgrade,id be worried about pings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

thanks for the responses people, i did a speed test there and my ping is 68,

i think ill ring back up now in a few mins and try that one "my neibours were upgraded" i think they are quick enough to offer new customers the 3meg but anyone currently on 2meb the seem to bluff them off,

ill try the 3 meg speed sure and see how it goes will post the stats up then

man ure a genious i said that and he did it right there for me lol

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 10.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 58.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

:D
    rc28 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience up until today. We were due to get upgraded on the 9th August from 2Mb to 3Mb but the upgrade never came so we waited as someone else said they were doing it in batches. Today, though, we rang and at first he gave the standard response of "it's a very big upgrade and it will take a while for everyone to avail of it" but when told that our neighbours have gotten upgrade he changed his tune and we were put on hold for a while. Then he said to turn off the modem and wait while he was typing something in. After it was turned back on the modem was syncing at 3072/384:)

Try being pushy, demand the upgrade and mention that all your neighbours have gotten it or something alone those lines;)

My line is borderline anyway (atenuation of 51 and snr of 25 before upgrade) but after the speed increase kicked in attenutaion went up to 52.5 and snr plummeted to 18! Nevertheless I'm getting the full 3Mb d/l speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

A+-Guru wrote: »
    man ure a genious i said that and he did it right there for me lol

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 10.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 58.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

:D

Lol excellent, you're very lucky to be syncing at 3Mb with attenuation of 58 too.

yeah just got by id say lol, downloading @ 310k/sec makes big difference from 200 to 300 lol

Advertisement