Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Need Graphic Design Job!

Options
  • 25-08-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

I am a 23 recent graduate of Graphic Design from NCAD. I have been trying for the last 3 months to get a job in my field but have recieved no positive feedback, and its getting a little disheartening. I am fluent in the Creative Suite package, and here is a link to my portfolio site:
    www.eimearoconnor.carbonmade.com

If anyone needs any freelance work I will gladly accept!Dont hesitate to mail me!
    Thanks
    Eimear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey there. You're stuff's pretty good, so hang in there. Summer's usually a slow time for jobs, so keep looking and applying. It's great you have your portfolio online, that'll make you stand out from those who don't. I'd suggest also seeing if you can break them into better categories. People don't really care if it's for your degree show or not. Terms like Identity Design, Book Design, Brochure design are all more appropriate to your employer, and make you appear more acomplished rather than just a student. Also, the picture of you is kinda scary - don't suppose you have one of you smiling? :)

Keep an eye on creativeireland.com and creativecareers.ie as well as the usual spots. My one tip for a recent graduate is not to be too fussy. It's a lot easier to get a job when you have a job, so take a job as a designer in a printing company or less than excellent studio and use that as a basis to start & grow. Also, get as many nixers, jobs friends, logos for charities and clubs as you can to beef up your portfolio.

You're work is good though, so don't lose heart. Put in the work, do a few cheapies and freebies, build up your portfolio and just keep applying to places, you'll get a job eventually.

Good luck!

Check this out. Not really paid - but would be great experience:
    http://www.creativecareers.ie/job_listings/design_digital_media/open_d30sept/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stellar

Thanks so much for the sound advice, i guess I just need to build some confidence in my design work first. Ill check out that link you posted...thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Your stuff is really good. Keep at it!

Thanks, doesnt seem to make much of a bloody difference cos theres twenty milion other people with way better design stuff out there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I understand how you feel but there are loads of people that get payed loads of money for terrible, terrible jobs.

Examples can be seen here.

Stellar wrote: »
    Thanks, doesnt seem to make much of a bloody difference cos theres twenty milion other people with way better design stuff out there..
    Don't worry about it. You're a good designer, and the stuff you're producing is good solid work with lots of visual imagination. You're only a graduate, so don't expect to know everything or be perfect. Over the next few years you'll hone your craft and improve and produce better work that you'd ever have imagined. I'm a web designer, and have been out of college about 4 years now. If i'd seen what I've done in the last year then, I never would have believed it, so don't fret.

It's tough to get your foot in the door, but you'll get there, even if you have to work in somewhere that's not ideal for awhile. My best advice is to take any job that's even vaguely design related. Don't work in an unrelated job waiting for that one offer to come along. Working inhouse in a printer is a good start. It's not a hugely desirable job, and won't be massively creative, but could mean you'll get a good chance to learn about the printing process and see lots of other designers work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I really feel sorry for you OP.

So many people now a days seem to know how to use all the CS programs (for better or worse).

I have been using Photoshop for years now myself, I wanted to do a course on it but opted against it after my first yeat after hearing too many stories like yours.

My current job as web and graphic designer fell into my lap because of people who I knew, I wish you luck and hope you find a job.

Have you been down to the Digital Hub in Dublin? Those places were recruiting a while ago, lots of small companys there always looking for fresh meat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

You've got a typo on the 'about' section on your website.

"I am availible for any type of graphic design work starting immediately, and would be willing to travel abroad for a job. Please feel free to contact me."

BTW I'm not suggesting this is the reason you're not working yet! :)

yeah I applied for a place called zinc down near there but there werent looking but ill keep trying... I guess you just think your gonna work somewhere really cool when you first finish college... like Angry design, or Daddy..ah well! thanks for all the sound the advice.

• Advertisement

IanCurtis wrote: »
    You've got a typo on the 'about' section on your website.

"I am availible for any type of graphic design work starting immediately, and would be willing to travel abroad for a job. Please feel free to contact me."

BTW I'm not suggesting this is the reason you're not working yet! :)
    Damnit! Im usually such a good speller! Art college has made me a bloody dyslexic!

I really feel sorry for you OP.

So many people now a days seem to know how to use all the CS programs (for better or worse).

I have been using Photoshop for years now myself, I wanted to do a course on it but opted against it after my first yeat after hearing too many stories like yours.

My current job as web and graphic designer fell into my lap because of people who I knew, I wish you luck and hope you find a job.

Have you been down to the Digital Hub in Dublin? Those places were recruiting a while ago, lots of small companys there always looking for fresh meat :)
    Hey, Do you know of anywhere I could possibly get some tutoring in web design, Html, Css and dreamweaver? I really want to learn as its always a bonus for a graphics graduate to have that experience? And to smarten up my crappy folio website...:)

p wrote: »
    Check this out. Not really paid - but would be great experience:
    http://www.creativecareers.ie/job_listings/design_digital_media/open_d30sept/
    I think there gonna give me that job! Thanks your a legend!

Glad to hear you might get that job - congrats! :)

Hey, Do you know of anywhere I could possibly get some tutoring in web design, Html, Css and dreamweaver? I really want to learn as its always a bonus for a graphics graduate to have that experience? And to smarten up my crappy folio website...:)
    Ifr you want to learn a bit more about web design, then start with this HTML/CSS book:
    http://headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/

And compliment that by applying an learning about the design side of web design with this:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/design1/

Then move onto more advaned CSS with this book:
    http://www.cssmastery.com/

If you did that you'd have an excellent foundation about web stuff that would be much better than most wannabe web designers out there - I promise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I bought a few books on it and studied it myself, then I just did a year course for a certificate (didn't have to show up much since I knew it all) so I had that to add to my CV.

If you just want to learn it and don't care about getting a qualification then I'm sure you could teach yourself, HTML is a joke it's so easy, CSS may be tricky at first but once you understand the basics it's really easy. If you know those two things you won't even need Dreamweaver. :)

I bought a few books on it and studied it myself, then I just did a year course for a certificate (didn't have to show up much since I knew it all) so I had that to add to my CV.

If you just want to learn it and don't care about getting a qualification then I'm sure you could teach yourself, HTML is a joke it's so easy, CSS may be tricky at first but once you understand the basics it's really easy. If you know those two things you won't even need Dreamweaver. :)
    Ugh believe me I tried to do some tutorials on the internet, I was confused by step three!
    I just wanna do a really simple site...nothin too extravagant.. Like an indexibit one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Ugh believe me I tried to do some tutorials on the internet, I was confused by step three!
    I just wanna do a really simple site...nothin too extravagant.. Like an indexibit one..

maybe you could do some sort of trade off where u could do some work for a web designer/developer and they could help you with your site to help bring some more functionality cuz at the minute your site does not do much but look pretty (which it is in a 10 out of 10 style) i mean these days joe public expects his "designer" to be able to do it all photoshop, flash, illy, xhtml & css and whatever else the guy up the road has..

id recommend w3schools.com as an invaluable reference while you attempt to learn the above meta-languages... id also recommend not putting your home address if thats what it is on your site who know what hassle that could cause with annoying clients.. but i love the site.. i used to work for a design company in the guiness business centre in dublin and if i remember correctly there was a few start ups in there who would love someone as skilled as you on their team.. id bang a couple of cv's in there..

That HTML book I recommended is perfect for you. It's aimed at absolute beginners and teaches you step by step.

Buy it - you won't regret it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

How to build your own website the right way - Using Css and xhtml

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-Website-Right-Using/dp/0975240293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219834452&sr=1-1

Great book that'll get you started down the whole website building route, all the steps are clearly explained and it's written in such a way that you don't get driven insane trying to get through it.

Advertisement